1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Iska's World Wars and Cold Wars

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Jiska, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Jiska

Jiska Chieftain

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1431410599

So I wrote this today. Pretty sure it's unbuggy. I was testing Cold Wars with the condition of a single Silo that didn't need Uranium, and they were too common, but three silos that each need 1 Uranium + Missile requirement might be too steep. Please leave feedback :)

-World Wars:
    Whenever a Civilization that has chosen an Ideology goes to war with another Civilization that has chosen a different Ideology, a World War is declared and all other Civilizations following either of those Ideologies will follow their Ideological fellows into war, as long as they aren't breaking Declarations of Friendship, they haven't Denounced their fellow Civilization that started the World War, and they aren't currently in a Cold War with any Civilizations of the enemy Ideology. World Wars end when all of the Civilizations that adopted one of the two opposing Ideologies make peace with all of the Civilizations that picked the other.
    Great War Infantry is no longer unlocked at Replaceable Parts. Instead, Riflemen upgrade straight to Infantry, and any Civilizations entering World Wars have their Musketmen, Riflemen, Mehal Sefari, Caroleans, Minutemen, and Norwegian Ski Infantry upgraded to Great War Infantry.

-Cold Wars:
    The Missile Silo is a new building unlocked at Advanced Ballistics that requires having built at least one Nuclear Missile and consumes 1 Uranium. Whenever a Civilization builds its third Missile Silo, it enters into a Cold War with every other Civilization that has built at least three Missile Silos and has adopted a different Ideology, ceasing any current conventional hostilities and starting a permanent Mutually Assured Destruction peace that can't be broken until the Cold War ends. Cold Wars end when a Civilization has been forced to switch Ideologies.

2. MariusMagnus

MariusMagnus Chieftain

I haven't tried this yet, but some preliminary thoughts:

• I personally don't like the idea of Great War Infantry untrainable. For instance, what if you don't have any Riflemen / Musketmen when a world war breaks out or if you lose all of them? Would it be possible for GWI to still be trainable, but only if the civ is in a world war? I know Plastics is right around the corner by the time you get to Replaceable Parts, but that's why I prefer to move Infantry back to Combined Arms when I play.
    • I think civs participating in a World War should get a global production boost, even better if that can be limited to producing units.
    • Will modded civs' Musketmen / Riflemen replacements have those units upgraded too? On the other side, will modded civs' GWI replacements still be trainable?
    • What is the benefit / incentive for building Missile Silos? I think I good one would be if a city with one could produce ICBMs, a nuclear missile with increased range, but is more expensive and costs 3-4 uranium. Just a thought.
    Overall, looks like a good mod to shake up the mid-late game a bit.

3. Jiska

Jiska Chieftain

Thanks for your feedback!

- If you lost all your rifles, I suppose you would just train more of them. They don't become untrainable or anything, you just have to wait (for the time it takes to get like one additional tech, which always kinda bugged me because it was easy to get a double power spike and roll over other nations that still had rifles). I suppose I could make GWI only trainable during a war via dummy policy.
    - That's actually an excellent idea!
    -Probably not, and no. That IS a bit of a problem. This is probably a problem that can be fixed with SQL, but I don't really know SQL :|
    -That is an excellent suggestion and I'll incorporate it!

4. MariusMagnus

MariusMagnus Chieftain

Ah, I see. I thought they became flat-out untrainable!

Regarding modded civs that add rifle/musketmen as unique units, I believe the easiest solution would be to check if the unit's Class is the Musketman/Rifleman. You might be able to do this by just using GameInfo (I.E. GameInfo.Units[unitType].Class == UNITCLASS_RIFLEMAN) as you can do something similar to see if a building is a wonder or not, but I'm not 100% certain. You'd have to test it out for yourself.

5. Jiska

Jiska Chieftain

Actually I just realized I haven't updated the <ObsoleteTech/> tags, so rifles DO become untrainable. D'oh. Will fix.

6. Jiska

Jiska Chieftain

guess this was a bit buggier than I thought. I'm going to hide this on the steam workshop for a bit pending an update.

7. Jigbea4834

Jigbea4834 Chieftain

Hi, I have a question about World Wars. I was playing a game and Greece (Autocracy) declared world war on Babylon (Order). Porugal (Order), did not join the war, i'm assuming its because they have the choice to join or not join, and same with England, following Autocracy. I, however, am using the Reign of Heritage mod and am following Heritage, but was somehow involved in the war as if I declared war on both parties. I had a declaration of friendship with Babylon before any of it started.

Is there any reason why I'd be involved in this war? I've attached an image of the Ideologies and I can attach an image of Greece and Babylon's opinions of me if you feel they are necessary. For now, I've decided to declare war on Greece (I was already planning to), and starting a World War. England, of course, did not join the war. The next turn, Babylon declares war on Greece and now Portugal properly, or at least expectedly, join the war with him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  8. Jigbea4834

Jigbea4834 Chieftain

Ok, I've realized what's going on. The game is treating Heritage like its Order. When Greece declared war on Babylon, I was drawn into the war early as an Order civ instead of Heritage. I realized this when I noticed another civ was feeling pressure to follow Order from me, instead of pressure to follow Heritage. I'm not sure where in the mods this mistake would be, but fixing it would greatly appreciated! Now, I've been using your older version of Heritage, so I will likely download the version from your new modpack that puts them all together, and see if that fixes any issue. My guess is the civs that chose Order would have chosen Heritage had this bug not existed since they all are somewhat focused on religion, like me.

9. JNZS13

JNZS13 Warlord

I got some issues like this.

Attached Files:

10. Jiska

Jiska Chieftain

JNZS I replied to your PMs, but to reiterate that looks like a compatibility issue.

If mods are still actively moderating, this thread is old af and doesn't reflect my current works. Please remove this so I can post a more comprehensive thread. Thanks!