Islamic Marriage Advice....

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,307680,00.html

He's Saudi author and cleric, "Dr." Muhammad Al-'Arifi, who in a remarkable segment broadcast on Saudi and Kuwaiti television in September, counseled young Muslim men on how to treat their wives.

"Admonish them – once, twice, three times, four times, ten times," he advised. "If this doesn't help, refuse to share their beds."

And if that doesn't work?

"Beat them," one of his three young advisees responded.

"That's right," Al-'Arifi said.

Click here to view the segment at MEMRITV.org

He goes on to calmly explain to the young men that hitting their future wives in the face is a no-no.

"Beating in the face is forbidden, even when it comes to animals," he explained. "Even if you want your camel or donkey to start walking, you are not allowed to beat it in the face. If this is true for animals, it is all the more true when it comes to humans. So beatings should be light and not in the face."

His final words of wisdom?

"Woman, it has gone too far. I can't bear it anymore," he tells the men to tell their wives. "If he beats her, the beatings must be light and must not make her face ugly.

"He must beat her where it will not leave marks. He should not beat her on the hand... He should beat her in some places where it will not cause any damage. He should not beat her like he would beat an animal or a child -- slapping them right and left.

So. What do you think? Effective advice or no?

Beat your wife....... just not in the face. Yeah thats great advise.

pretty good advice. back in the 50s, women knew what was up. but now, with feminism, they no longer fear the beating and run rampant, ruining their husbands with divorce and ailomony and taking the kids. its time to bring the beatings back!

lolololololololololol

Hey if it was good enough for muhamid.........

That any better?

I don't know enough about Muslim society to comment.

However, that is a good question; how much of Muslim society condones the beating of women?

Clerics and religious leaders are usually far more conservative than the general body of adherents of their religion.

Religious leaders say stupid things all the time, and not only Muslim ones. What do average Muslims think of this?

That's not precise enough then, as not all Muslim conservatives would sanction the beating of women.

Also, reading this made me think. Do you have a good example of a 'muslim conservative' that actually says this?

I don't know enough about Muslim society to comment.

If you dont know enough, then how do you know your first statement was true?

Religious leaders say stupid things all the time, and not only Muslim ones. What do average Muslims think of this?

Whats an 'average' muslim? Do you think a muslim that would post here would be average?

At least it's not in the face.

Whats an 'average' muslim? Do you think a muslim that would post here would be average?

No, but if there are any polls out there asking this sort of question to Muslims, maybe we could get some answers.

Until then, all we have are the ramblings of conservative religious leaders.

Here's the actual interview I would reccomend it because there is actually a lot more interesting stuff in there than what FOX pointed out.
..he actually reccomends doling out that beating with a toothpick (albeit toothpicks in arabia seem to be a little larger than ones here...)

Most of the wife beating cases in my neck of the woods involve self-professed Christians. Maybe they get it from the church leaders who have been recently convicted or sued for dishing out corporal punishment to the women and children in their flock.

Most of the wife beating cases in my neck of the woods involve self-professed Christians. Maybe they get it from the church leaders who have been convicted recently for dishing out corporal punishment to the women and children in their flock.

And how many preachers are going on TV and telling them how to beat there wives?

What we have here is a twisted fun-house exaggeration and distortion of our own society's values, and the difference between these hardcore conservative Muslim attitudes and our own society's are only of degree and not type. There's really nothing better than pseudo-feminism being used to justify bigotry, but they miss the point. The entire first half of the video, for instance, could have come out of the mouth of any western religious leader or patriarchal type. Yeah, great, we're better than these goons in that we've managed to mostly stop openly condoning wife-beating but... have you looked at domestic violence figures lately? How the hell can people act all superior when we in the enlightened and secular West still allow so much violence against women to occur?

Random thought: Is there more violence against women here or there? Or is it about the same? I suspect it's the latter. (Edit: Depends on country, seemingly. Palestinian and Pakistani rates are shockingly high, others, not so much)

Here's another thought: The modern West has mitigated it slightly, but at its base, all marriage is institutionalised ownership and legally sanctioned sexual servitude. Christian, Muslim, it really doesn't make any difference, the very nature of the institution does damage to women as it compels them into a life of drudgery and subordination. Sure, there's exceptions, but even hippie/intellectual/bohemian type marriages are little but cartoon mock-ups of the real deal.

Top Bottom