1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Islamic State bulldozers 'erasing history' in Nimrud, Iraq

Discussion in 'World History' started by Knight-Dragon, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31760656

2. Knight-Dragon

Didn't stop them fr smuggling out and selling those 'false idols' on the international market. What hypocrites.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I recall the Taliban blowing up statues in Afghanistan as well. I don't understand this level of crazy. But I know that it exists.

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The Taliban at least took years before they did that. This is immediate and vast in scale. What ISIL is doing pains me deep inside. But, as sad as it is, I know that this precious heritage and history is still less significant than human life. The horror at what they're doing should be more appropriately addressed towards their killings instead.

5. AcetyleneLamp

AcetyleneLamp Chieftain

Horrible. I'm not really one to cheerlead for new ground wars in the middle east, but I really wish I could send a fleet of Civ: BE Lev Tanks after Isis (and Boko Haram while we're at it).

6. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Enthusiastically endorsing and practicing slavery, genocide, brutal televised executions, mass murder--ISIS is running out of atrocities to commit. But I'm sure they'll cook up something; they're at least as bad as the Revolutionary United Front.

7. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

Yes, my immediate reaction was that it was terrible, but then I realised I'd just felt more outrage over bulldozed stones than over who knows how many shot civilians.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I understand the sentiment above, but there's no reason not be absolutely horrified at this orgy of historical destruction as well.

9. Knight-Dragon

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Apparently if you want to kill, maim, torture and destroy you still need an excuse.

11. daft

daft The fargone

Islamic Fanatics can only be dealt with one way, FORCE!
    They do not understand any other way, at all.
    There are many good, peaceful, religious and respective of other cultures and religions Muslim people in the world. However, this ISIL, or whatever they call themselves, are nothing but a bunch of hateful, mindless brutes. Fortunately the Western World hasn't forgotten what it means to fight and with it's superior armies and firepower will sooner or later overpower and destroy this threat to Civilization as we know it.
    I couldn't believe what the Taliban did in Afghanistan, and now this.
    Mesopotamia is the cradle of Civilization, they are destroying the history of humankind, inexcusable!

12. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I think the two are tied together, at least to some extent. As the article in the OP observed, ISIL show particular hostility to artifacts associated with the Assyrian minority, and I think it's reasonable to see this as part of a more general campaign of genocide against the region's ethnoreligious minorities. It might not be quite analogous to the Nazis destroying Jewish cultural artifacts, but there are similar patterns of thought at work.

13. Knight-Dragon

14. Domen

Domen Misico dux Vandalorum

15. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

There are very brave Muslims who saved priceless treasures in Afghanistan when the Taliban was on their main destroying spree there.They painted over paintings to hide them, or pretended to deface them. There's little anyone can do about large scultptures and ruins though.

They're the ones who have guts, not us raising a stink about it. Countries who were formerly so tolerant, even in ways superceding the West, are now ruinously destroying their own history and culture. It's beyond monumentally tragic.

Link to video.

16. daft

daft The fargone

ISIL has been destroying the ancient ruins of Hatra as well.
    Some of these priceless artifacts they sell off for cash to conscript new troops/buy weapons with.
    To them there's nothing sacred about theses sites, if they had their way they'd destroy all remnants of the "sinful" past of humanity.
    Despicable!

17. Olson

Olson Warlord

I'm not sure why this topic exists. The eradication of historic sites occur daily throughout the U.S. and Europe by the Modernist agenda to eliminate all architecture which pre-dates Modernism. Is this a case of "it's wrong when someone else does it, but not wrong if we do it"?

18. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

There's nothing in the US that's remotely as old as these things. Hell, there's nothing in the US that's really that old or significant compared to buildings in large parts of Europe.

19. Olson

Olson Warlord

And therefore?

20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm not sure I would associate the demolition of some significant/old buildings in America with the destruction of ancient cities and relics on any level beyond 'stuff got destroyed'.