1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Islands early game strategy

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by 8loodlvst, Jul 28, 2020.

1. 8loodlvst

8loodlvst Chieftain

Hello, I can’t seem to understand how one can play a good early game on a map with islands considering one can’t have tribes board any of the prehistoric boats?

In a Pangea game I will have between 4-8 cities before sedentary lifestyle (once I get chiefdom I expand easily), but to claim neighboring islands, or the neighboring continent, I need to build palisades and establish a military presence securing resources and occupying important squares, and focus research way into the future towards when I can eventually have a settler type unit board a boat.

I wanted to enjoy starting on a nice island near a Pangea for a seafaring (Minoan/Carthaginian) experience, but I was isolated on my island crowded with 4 cities while I managed to occupy a 5 tile coastal strip with soldiers and palisades/caves directly across a straight from my starting island.

Meanwhile the Hatti expanded from the far coast of the Pangea right up to my occupied coast (they had about eight cities to my 3) by the time I reached sedentary lifestyle.

If I want to keep up as an island civ, must I start on a large enough island to put 6-8 medium-good cities on? Or am I missing something? Any archipelago map enthusiasts out there have any advice?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Are you playing on SM? Merge rafts. It may also help to know that your ships can go further than one space out from land if doing so within borders, so where you place cities so that culture can expand into the ocean can make a difference.

I have some interesting ideas for how all this may work for island hopping in Nomadic coming up but it'll be a bit still before any of that sees the light of day.

3. 8loodlvst

8loodlvst Chieftain

I’m not playing SV, but the latest version (is it 40.1? I’m away) Merged rafts can carry tribes? Fantastic!

what’s Nomadic? Are you folks still working on implementing a nomadic beginning game?

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah - the idea is to have a unit work as a moving city for the first portion of the game. From there, there's numerous variations in the concept but it's a part of the goal and project plan.

5. 8loodlvst

8loodlvst Chieftain

That’s fascinating, I suppose you’ll want to prevent Neanderthals and barbs from settling cities during prehistoric era as well? Do you plan on keeping the same ancient buildings and we assume they are in mobile tents? I wonder how the AI will behave with a mobile capital. Keep up the good work!

6. 8loodlvst

8loodlvst Chieftain

Some “civs” irl were nomadic until relatively recently too, it would be interesting if you made a new barbarian civ that generated nomadic tribes even beyond prehistoric times, roaming the unsettled regions, or even nomadic civilizations which remained nomadic until some reasonable stage in the tech tree!

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

We have it in mind to allow nomadic play as an option throughout the ages, though settling may be a better option from a competitive standpoint.