1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Isn't it about time to clear out the Civ5 forum?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Senethro, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

When half of the Civ5Gen forum is rant about Steam or how Civ4 was the better game instead, isn't it about time to just clear them all out and manage the forum for the people who are actually playing the game? This isn't including the constructive criticism threads providing useful feedback for firaxis, its those people who post along the lines of "HURF BLURF I'VE PLAYED CIVILIZAITON SERIES FOR 30 YEARS AND CIV5 IS A HOLOCAUST".

Even just merging duplicate threads would be much tidier.

I don't think you want to end up like the Tribes or Fallout community websites which became entirely based on hating new entries in their franchises.

2. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

People who don't like the game have just as much right to state their opinion as people who like the game. Of course, we expect members to expand on their opinions and not just say "this game sucks" or "this game is great."

If you see a post or thread that you think is out of hand or a thread that is clearly making the same point as another thread two threads down on the main page, please report it. While there are a lot of mods in that forum, we still can't possibly read every post or every thread so help from the members is always appreciated. :)

3. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

IIRC, this has happened every new civ game thus far.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Howdy

IIRC, Civ4's launch was much more well-received than this.

5. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

No it wasn't, although people were complaining about bugs rather than design. Still, I support the OP on this, let people complain, but if they just want to rant on "why UPT is worse than genocide" let them all do it in one thread so I can see posts that actually say something.

6. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Those of us who had to moderate endless threads of vitriol and whining about Civ IV laugh hollowly at this.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, this is why I still post in the civ3 forums. :smug:

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

As someone who dislikes Civ3, or as someone who dislikes its successors?

9. Earthling

Earthling Chieftain

It's pointless to try to ban threads on discussion of the game when the average "complete newbie thread" is still around. The 50 threads of "how do I build city" equivalent subjects still take up more space - condensing those into one general "Frequently Asked Questions for new players" would be a better start.

10. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

11. deanej

deanej Chieftain

The amount of these threads (and overall activity on the civ5 forum) will go down in time. But don't be surprised if the discussion flares up in civ4 vs. civ5 threads from time to time.

12. charon2112

charon2112 Chieftain

Agree 100%...

13. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

How about we open a whole new sub forum dedicated to bashing Civ V? It would really get this whole place organized, and then we won't have to plow through loads of complaining to get to a good topic.

14. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I disagree, you need to be able to distinguish between legitimate criticism and pointless bashing.

16. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

I know some of the Americans are somewhat scriptural about how how speech should be free, often without regard to whether it is political speech or whatever, but do you really condone threads for lynching beta testers?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390456

17. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

As always, if you see a post/thread that you feel violates the forum rules, report it and we'll handle it. Creating another thread/post in a different forum isn't really the way to handle it.

And if you've already reported it, and there's been no apparent reaction, then you can assume that the moderators have decided that the thread is within the forum rules.

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

My advice would be to just stick to S&T for the moment.

19. evrett37

evrett37 Chieftain

:rolleyes: Lets get them removed from position of responsibility first..we can schedule the lynching later.