Isn't it stupid that only

Arabian Archer

Chieftain
.. universal suffrage can actually buy off stuff?
It's just super lame! It's a very cheap way to balance the early game I guess but logiccaly at least Hereditary Rule should have the ability to buy stuff.
dontcha think?

No?

It seems pretty balanced to me. Each civic has it's strengths and weaknesses. Being able to rush buy buildings/units with gold is one of US strengths.

I know it is well balanced, and I agree, but what I was saying is that it is deviation from reality and it's just not fun, cuz not everybody wants to play the game usin US and only allowing US to buy stuff is just cheap.

I hope you agree that in history, kings sped up their building projects with extra money, or AT LEAST hired mercenary troops(wich means rush-buying units)

I understand that they can't allow ALL government civics to be able to rush buy, cuz that would REALLY unbalance the game, but I DO think that there should be at least ONE early-game government civic that's able to rush-buy ,
(yeah they would neet to make changes to balnce it again, so what? :p)

.. universal suffrage can actually buy off stuff?
It's just super lame! It's a very cheap way to balance the early game I guess but logiccaly at least Hereditary Rule should have the ability to buy stuff.
dontcha think?

Arabian Archer,

I was all geared up to write a detailed response to you outlining why I disagree with you, but your usage of the phrase super lame has swayed me to your side. Now there is nothing anyone can say that will convince me to disagree with you. After all, it's just super lame.

Game balance is more important than being realistic. Undoubtedly, the monarchs of the world have probably been the biggest gluttony spenders that have ever graced the earth. But +1 happy per military unit is extremely powerful in its own right. You can have unlimited happiness, and it is the only civic that allows so.

I know it is well balanced, and I agree, but what I was saying is that it is deviation from reality and it's just not fun, cuz not everybody wants to play the game usin US and only allowing US to buy stuff is just cheap.

I hope you agree that in history, kings sped up their building projects with extra money, or AT LEAST hired mercenary troops(wich means rush-buying units)

I understand that they can't allow ALL government civics to be able to rush buy, cuz that would REALLY unbalance the game, but I DO think that there should be at least ONE early-game government civic that's able to rush-buy ,
(yeah they would neet to make changes to balnce it again, so what? :p)

Here i disagree with you. Many people use Representation, and Police state besides Universal Suffrage.

It would have been A LOT smarter and more convenient if they made the problem of being able to rush buy, depend on the economy civics, NOT government. That makes more sense too, come on, any government in history can buy stuff if the ECONOMY system pemits them to do that, right?

Many things in Civ are not realistic, mostly in the interests of game balance. I like the way it is just fine. In older versions of Civ (I and II, I never played III) you could rush-buy anything, anytime. Limiting it to a specific civic curtails the abuse of this; especially for a non-spiritual civ, you have to suffer a few turns of anarchy in order to use it. And I like that there is a price to be paid, such as losing the :) from military units in HR, or the :) and :science: boost from Representation.

The fun in the game is, as Sid once said, making "a series of interesting choices". For there to be a genuine choice, there has to be alternatives of more-or-less equal benefit and detriment, and that's what the gov't civics offer in Civ IV.

GAME BALANCE.

Early gold economies could just buy and buy and buy and buy. Imagine going down the guilds line being not only viable as it is now, but actually giving you the ability to attack with SoD's never seen before in medieval times. I wouldn't want to see that, realism be damned.

Well it's not like your going to switch right to Universal Suffrage when you get the pyramids right? Its a late game civic which its true power can only be used when you have a powerful monetary economy and especially if you spammed cottages early in the game. Democracy is a powerful government, thats why many governments in the world today are Democratic and you don't have as many Police states and Monarchies as there used to be especially in the First world.

Ok, I understand u guys' points about balance and I agree with them, yet

Don't you think that rush-buying should depend on the state's economy civic?
I mean yeah, the game would have looked a lot different if they had actally done what i said but it would be more fun, as this would make choosing an economy civic much more important, at the same time, they would come up with different pros and cons for US

Either way, I see that my comments are not really productive cuz it's not like the game will change anytime soon ,lol :p
Just lookin at the opinions , ya know :)

My very last questions:
1.How can you start the World Builder without having to start a new game?
2. How/where can you mod civics?

My personal preference would be to allow Rush Buying at all times, but to have the cost depend on which Econ civic you are currently running.

but what I was saying is that it is deviation from reality and it's just not fun,

I would rather deviate from reality to make a balanced game than make it historically correct.
Having the Mayans disappear suddenly wouldn't be fun.

I would rather deviate from reality to make a balanced game than make it historically correct.
Having the Mayans disappear suddenly wouldn't be fun.

But.... if they did we may find out why they dissapered. That would be fun, to see the resons that the game creators could come up with.

- They dissapered out in space, and won. (Space race)
- They just got concuerd by Montezuma... lost

any other ideas???

Top Bottom