Isolation

CarlCarlson

Chieftain
So if I can't make contact with other Civs before Caravels how do I prevent myself from becoming extremely underteched? My current game on Monarch is pretty much scrapped because I'm so far behind. And even if I could compete I don't see how I could expand at all. I was playing a standard size epic game on continents with Catherine. I'm not going to leave a save file since it's pretty obvious that I won't be able to win this one... just looking for advice so I don't end up in this situation again.

On monarch it is very easy to come out of isolation ahead of everyone else.
Not sure how salvageble your save is, but isolationist start have a few advantages.
1) You can ignore military for a time in favor of development. Only think you have to warry about are barbs.
2) So, you can go with any kind of creasy shots not useally posible because of military restrictions.

I would not explain them, as I think you will have more fun finding them yourself. My advice will be: stop to look on isolation as a bad thin and start to look on it as an opportunity.

I hate being isolated. I for one would appreciate it, Mutineer, if you did tell us your strategy!

Post your 4000 BC save and we can have a look. BTW, all financial leaders can do quite well despite isolated starts.

I think it's easier to deal with an isolated start in Civ4 than in previous iterations of the game:

1. As a previous poster said, you can focus on infrastructure rather than military since the only threat is barbs (I've often not bothered to research any military techs besdies Archery until I've made contact).

2. The research cost of techs decreases the more civs that know them irrespective of whether you've met them or not.

3. You can't trade techs until Alphabet, which the AI doesn't seem to prioritise, and which isn't too far from Caravels anyway.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about being under-teched, or at least this isn't a problem I've come across much. What is tricky is having to work with a much more restricted set of options: no-one to trade resources with, no-one to attack, and usually a restricted set of resources.

In this case I generally focus on fast expansion and infrastructure, targetting techs and/or wonders that give me some advantage above the starting traits, e.g. Colossus on archipelago or continents where I'm likely to have many coastal cities. Or Metal Casting for forges if I have several metals resources to get more happiness.

The overall goal should be to get off the isolated start - so focus on that target and that target only until i) you've completely settled your start and ii) you've got caravels.

Once you've finally met come other civs you can gauge your relative tech position (this is often very interesting!) and hopefully identify some nice places to settle with a view to getting a beachead for future military operations.

One more advice. When you got caravels and you make your first contact. Don't trade rightaway, but contact more civs before trading. This way you can trade efficient (get the best buck out of your own techs).

For example, get the 'lower techs' (archery i usualy pass when having bronze) for the inferieur civs. So you can trade for the better techs with the superieur civs. So trade archery with one of the lowest scores and trade metal casting with one of the higher scores.

Tech. trading itself is a strategy..

I usually completely ignore military, researching only what helps me with commerce, gold, science and happiness. This puts you in a better trading position when you do meet the rest of the world. Great Library is a good goal, as is the Great Lighthouse since you'll have a lot of coastal cities.

Also, I never convert to a religion, because I don't want the diplomacy hit. Diplomacy and tech trading is much more important if you're isolated.

Don't bee-line for Optics. Get markets and libraries in your cities first.

voek said:
One more advice. When you got caravels and you make your first contact. Don't trade rightaway, but contact more civs before trading. This way you can trade efficient (get the best buck out of your own techs).

^ This is important. You don't want to trade everything away to one civ, allowing that civ to bargain away all your techs to the others before you meet them. You wont have anything left to trade when you do make contact.

Oh, one more thing. Get Astronomy soon after Optics, to start your overseas trading ASAP. It's also wise to give in to any demands after Astronomy, and don't become anyone's worst enemy. I've had the nutjob leaders suprise attack with 3 galleons of troops next to my longbow-defended coastal cities, then raze them. Pretty much a game-breaker there. Keep everyone happy and you can continue building banks and universities, instead of military.

Top Bottom