1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Israel invades Gaza

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gogf, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

No. I'm willing to hit military targets. If those targets are using human shields, that sucks, but there is a responsibility to protect the lives of people other than the meat shields.

If some guy is holding a baby and firing into a crowd, you shoot the guy at the risk of injuring the child because you have a responsibility to protect more than just the meat shield.
    Accept what? That killing children will be required to neutralize the rocket attacks by Hamas. Yea, I accept it. Collateral damage sucks but there is little one can do when the enemy targets children and uses children as meat shields. All one can do is limit the damage, and collateral damage is less damage than allowing terrrorism to win and continue.

I was in the army, now I'm a civilian. Do you understand the definition? Now my point is not moot. Care to try again?

2. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Well, not 100%. Arabs, Palestinians, and some of the "nomadic" people don't have to fight for the IDF.

3. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

America doesn't practice conscription, so your point is moot, whereas any Israeli is a potential soldier/reservist that *can* be called up (excepting the Orthodox)

4. civaddict098

civaddict098 Prince

Thats 100% not true. Just because some one will be or once was in the military does not make that person a military target. Stop making excuses.

5. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Why not? A display of restraint (for once) would entirely give Israel the moral high ground and remove the main source of recruitment the extremists have. And why do you think those rockets are being fired? It's just another development in decades of tit for tat conflict, you should remember that when you formulate your question in a manner that portrays one side as being in the wrong. Both sides have acted despicably for decades.

Ultimately there must be a two state solution, and Israel has yet to offer a fair deal to the palestinians. They must recognise Palestine as a State and abandon the illegal West-Bank settlements.

6. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

I'm not making excuses, my point is this moronic "well, this person is a target, that person isn't well if you're in this building you are, if you're brown you might be" is completely assinine and stupid.

But apparently kids are military targets, rite?

7. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

We have an individual ready reserve that can be called up too. But Israel is not going to be calling up 80 year old women or children. Those people are civilians.

moot moot moot moot

spam spam spam spam

Don't feed the trolls, guys. I'm out.

8. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

And Hamas *is* gonna call up 80 year olds and children?

9. civaddict098

civaddict098 Prince

There have only been limited Israeli deaths because the Israelis are prepared and have plenty of bomb shelters. Just because some one is wearing a bullet proof vest doesn't give you the right to shoot them.

10. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Need I bring up my previous post?

11. civaddict098

civaddict098 Prince

No of course not. But collateral damage happens. Israel isint picking random residential areas to bomb, they go for the spots where the terrorists are who unfortunately use human shields.

12. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

What moral high ground is there in telling your people to bend over and die a little bit? What moral high ground is there in allowing your people to bury their loved ones? Why is it up to Israel to show a display of restraint as opposed to the group that is deliberately targeting civilians in the first place? What a freakin' joke.

I dunno. But I'm pretty sure it's not a proportional response to whatever triggered it. And I don't see you calling for restraint. You're just justifying it and telling Israel to show restraint.

This is why it's hard to take you seriously some times.

13. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

"But...but Israel are supposed to be the good guys????!"

14. Yui108

Yui108 Deity

Russia doesn't even have enough legitamately modern weapons for it's own army, not it's half allies.

15. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Let's make your analogy a little more representative of the situation in Gaza shall we? Your gunman has one bullet, and you know it, he is also a useless shot and the crowd you are protecting is a long way away. the chances of him hitting anyone are low and you are aware that he himself has placed himself within a crowded area. And you have no gun, just a bomb with which to kill him.

The Israelis use the bomb time after time after time. They kill more civilians with each bomb than the gunmen kill in dozens of incidents.

collateral damage in Gaza is hundreds of dead children, deaths caused by your 'terrorists'? 11.

Hundreds: 11.

Hundreds is less?

16. Yui108

Yui108 Deity

This. The Terrorists we must remember, are the ones who intentionally target civilians

At the start of the war, 75% of Palestinian casualties done were to civilians.

17. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Noncon, people are allowed to defend themselves. 'Showing restraint' means they die.

They already have the moral high ground.

18. civaddict098

civaddict098 Prince

Brennan why dont you f*cking get it. its not about number of deaths caused. Israel isint forced to play Russian roulette with its civilians. its about intent of actions

19. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Try again. It is not a possibility, i'm being realistic not optimistic. Hamas will continue shooting rockets for years to come if Israel does not take action. The only way your idea will work is if a magical fairy comes and sprays pixie dust all over Gaza.

I'm not asking who is wrong in this conflict, i'm asking for a reasonable solution that will work.

Even if Israel takes all west bank settlements out, Hamas will continue to fire rockets into either Israel is gone forever, or Hamas themselves are wiped out.

Also note that i also support the Two-state solution, but only after Hamas is wiped out. Before Hamas is wiped out, it will not be possible.

Now if you excuse me, i'm going to sleep.

20. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Quoted for mawfriggin truth.

Israel does not have to put up with having their high schools shot at with rockets by fanatical, ball-ass-crazy muslims for any reason. Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.