1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Israel Navy Opens Fire on Gaza Aid Flotilla II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by holy king, Jun 3, 2010.

1. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Its surprising that there exists a beach in a meditterenean country? Or that people use it?

Thats no more a holiday than me walking down to the local lake. In the context of the earlier post it was also quite obvious that it was referring to travel. Gazans are not alowed to leave the city they live in. Even if its being bombed.

2. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

You know, it's not like it's a violation of international law to not let everyone into your country. If Israel wants to limit the Gazan's access into Israel's border, it is allowed to do that.

Is the US breaking international law by not allowing every single Mexican that wants to cross the border do just that? No. Every country has a right to decide who goes into its borders and who doesn't, especially when we're talking about people from a hostile country (or in Gaza's case, city).

3. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

You're right. I guess they could try to go by boat. :rolleyes:

4. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

As long as they let them search for contraband maybe? :)

5. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Don't you support those resolutions against Iraq? :huh:

And if you're implying I don't think Saddam Hussein committed human rights violations then you're wrong.

And why do they want to see it destroyed?

No they weren't. Israel did not remove it's illegal settlements.

So you admit they just surround it like a prison. Thanks.

Exactly. Even when they use peaceful resistance Israel doesn't loosen its grip.

Before the cease fire went into effect?

So you're basically justifying Israel's dictatorship over this guy.

I've gotta hand it to you, at least you don't pretend to be a libertarian.

They have to find them first.

How can Israel ever hope to have peace if they're just going to oppress their neighbors?

When I say "Palestinians" or "people" I'm referring to the people in general or the government.

It also won't let people leave VIA WATER.

6. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Israeli ships have routinely fired at gazan fishing ships that try to go more than 3 to 6 nautical miles from shore. Far within what is Gazan territorial waters according to international law.

7. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

It was sarcasm if you didn't notice.

Israel removed all of its settlements from Gaza in 2005 and all they got in return was more rockets than before, even though no military action has taken place except for specific times, until 2007 when the blockade started.

8. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Economic sanctions have been imposed on Gaza since 2000.

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Sure, I support resolutions up to the point where they arent getting the job done and are proven useless. At that point said resolutions become 'failed' resolutions.

Largely because the nations that support them financially egg them on about it.

Yeah....its a regular real life scene from Escape from New York isnt it? :rolleyes:

Actually, your're wrong. Arent there ongoing peace talks right now that Hamas opposes? Why yes there are.

Actually, yes. In 2006, Gilad Shalit was kidnapped, and was the first IDF soldier kidnapped since 1994. You didnt know that? You seem rather ill-informed on some of the facts here.

Its not a dictatorship as he wasnt shot outright, but was given a chance to turn around and live. He failed to make that choice. Like I said, darwinism in action.

Why would I since I am not?

I suggest following the rocket contrail back to its source. Kind of a no-brainer.

How can Palistinians ever hope to have peace if they continue to shoot Israel with rockets/mortars?

Actually, they are allowed entry into Egypt through that border arent they?

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Gaza and Israel: Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

11. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Examples?

Oh. :lol: Has nothing to do with ISRAEL'S actions, of course not.

Are you capable of responding seriously to serious issues when you can't think of something witty to say?

Aren't there still all those illegal Israeli settlements and that new wall they're building? Why yes there are.

I meant after the cease fire, sorry.

1) Social Darwinism is one of the most discredited ideas of all time.
    2) If I tell you I'm going to shoot you if you don't give me all your money and you refuse to do so I kill you did you choose to die?

Who knew Hamas could travel at the speed of light!

12. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That is a good point. What would we think if the US government cruelly oppressed and engaged in apartheid against Latinos, and the international community led by Mexico tried to provide them desperately needed humanitarian aid without our explicit permission?

13. MobBoss

Seriously? 14 resolutions on Iraq in 17 years didnt get the job done.

They have certainly threatened too. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,475108,00.html and probably would if given the chance or opportunity to do so.

And if I give you my money and I live?

While amusing, thats hardly required. You yourself said Gaza wasnt that big. How hard can it be to spot people setting up a really big rocket and then setting it off?

Seriously. Either they could do something about it but choose not to or they are simply so incompetent as they are powerless regardless. Which is it?

14. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Neither did our invasion.

Yeah in case of a ground incursion. In other words they're threatening to retaliate if Israel attacks. Oh no.

Yeah you would live. That doesn't make me any less of a dick for doing so.

They're incompetent because of Israel.

What do you make of this: http://www.haaretz.com/news/haniyeh...-palestinian-state-with-1967-borders-1.256915

Sounds to me like the leader of Hamas is being more reasonable than Israel.

15. Formaldehyde

Let's not try to bring reasonability into an argument dominated by irrationality, propaganda, and hatred. What would be the point in that?

The Israeli government hasn't had the more resonable position for decades now.

16. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Did the Latinos fire rockets and send suicide bombers into US towns and cities?

17. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

18. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Israel should pull out of the West Bank because what they are doing there is fundamentally wrong AND illegal. Hamas is irrelevant(and aren't even in power there).

And I'm getting sick of this whole "they pulled out of Gaza strip so now everything is ok!" argument. Economic sanctions were still in place. There were still all those Palestinians in West Bank being occupied. They still were not given their own state. They couldn't even vote in a free election without their sovereignty being trampled on.

Oh and there's also this quote which was bound to piss a few people off:

19. Formaldehyde

Would you try to blame all of them if a few did after they were brutally oppressed for decades?

Are you personally responsible for the torture and murder of innocent civilians under GWB's tenure?

20. MobBoss

Unless your trying to argue that zombie Saddam is still in power...your're quite wrong on that point.

I am sure the tunnel under the border they were building prior to this was merely a contingency. :rolleyes:

Yeah you would live. That doesn't make me any less of a dick for doing so.

Throw in recognition of Israel and its right to exist and perhaps it might get somewhere....