1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Isramod - Israel as playable civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Ariks, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Ariks

Ariks Chieftain

Isramod - Build 0.1

**UPDATE Nov. 14/05**

Changes in Build 0.1
    - none

Civilization
    Name: Israel
    Techs: Mysticism, Wheel
    Leaders: David
    Unique Unit: currently using warcharriot - subject to change
    Flag/Button: Official Menorah Emblem

Leaders
    David (Spiritual, Philosophical)
    (currently using Xerxes leaderhead from greekworld mod)

Unique Unit
    none atm (currently using warcharriot)

General Notes
    This is an initial build I'm putting out since it was requested that I release the flag and the button - it's not finished yet. I'm not a very good graphic artist so I definitely could use some help in this area. I'm currently working on audio for the select and order sounds and will look into the UU after that which will initially based on availabilty of reskined units.

The city list is based on the ancient kingdom of Israel.

The first free tech was an easy choice - Mysticism obviously which also leads to masonry and the religious techs. The second tech I'm not sure yet. As of now I've chosen wheel - but maybe hunting is a better fit since all our early patriarchs were shepherds ;). Let me know what you think.

I'm using a new type of blue for the Israeli civ which I've compared and tested against all other blue civs in game.

Install:
    Unzip into the mod directory

Notes on this thread

1) Keep politics out of this thread.
    2) For me there is no difference between the old and new Israel in terms of civilization and people. This is the history of my people. If you disgree I could care less and I will not even discuss it. The only exception where I will change this mod is for settings and maps that specificly play in a specific timeframe.

--

Attached Files:

2. rappstar

rappstar Chieftain

Todah rabah!

3. Lightzy

Lightzy Warlord

Todah ach sheli, ma kacha?
    Are you israeli, btw, or like, an armchair israeli somewhere far abroad ? :p

If I may suggest an alternative leader by the name of Solomon (a more warlike alternative) ?
    You know the story.. where he had a huge armada of warships and all that stuff..

*sits and waits for the 'hapoel imperia civ' mod..*

4. Ariks

Ariks Chieftain

Haha, armchair Israeli. That's a new expression :). I'm Israeli yes but you guessed it right I'm currently living chuz laaretz because of my job which makes me moving arround a lot.

I'm planing to add Shlomo and maybe even Chizqiyah. For modern leaders probably Ben Gurion for a start. But everything at its time - I'm really bad at graphics so I'm kinda reliant on what is out there. Although I managed to do the flag and button which turned out just fine.

5. Lightzy

Lightzy Warlord

Call me a bad israeli, but I always liked 'solomon' better than 'shlomo' :)

'shlomo' is like, the guy that sells surplus apples out of a van by the market.

6. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

hehe i like that term "armchair israeli" its been 18 years since i was in israel in yeshiva wow so long .. i work to hard but next time im on vacation i think solomon or david is most appropiate as leader david for expanding the boundaries and solomon for building gods big holy house
    david possible traits expansive/philisophical he did write the psalms after all

and solomon creative and maybe organized?

what do you think

7. NateDawgNY

NateDawgNY Just Chillin'

Ach! Somebody beat me to it! Doggone it!

Good job btw. I'll be checking this out and comparing notes.

8. Haarbal

Haarbal Prince

I'm surrely NOT an expert in history, but if i think solomon, i think solomons mines => money => financial
    but there is also the possibility that i'm completely wrong :)

9. Innawerkz

Innawerkz I'm the other white meat.

I think your unique unit would be cool as THE missionary with maybe extra speed but definitely when used to spread your religion in a foreign town either gives you a bonus of culture, money, or great person points towards a Prophet - or all depending on how slanted you want to make your UU.

Being the most limited individual on CFC with programming knowledge, I am not sure if that is in the realm of possibility, but it would definitely take a different spin on the Missionary (not unlike the Fast Worker).

The unit also never becomes obsolete.

The only catch is that you could simply switch religions and cash in on this missionary on technically all 7 religions. Is there a way to set a flag so that only STATE religion missionaries are your Unique Unit? Can still be mildly exploited with a switch to different religions, but might end up not being worth the trouble in the long run.

10. Lightzy

Lightzy Warlord

whats the sense in giving the israelis a missionary?

11. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I think there would have to be a better UU than a missionary. Looking forward to seeing this mod finished.

12. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Looking forward to that mod - very cool idea.

If I may suggest, I would probably give Israel two leaders - David and Salomon, making David Spiritual and Aggressive (or Expansive) (he was more of a warmonger than a philosopher) and Salomon Organized (law-maker) and Philosophical (philosopher-King). David should probably favour Theocracy, and Salomon Hereditary Monarchy.

As for the UU, I don't think Missionary is such a good idea, considering that of all religions available in Civ 4, Judaism is exactly the one that is not missionary. Instead, I would suggest a Slinger (replacing archer, with a bonus against infantry) or maybe a Machabee (sp?).

13. mknash

mknash Chieftain

Can anyone think of a good way to add the idea of kibbutzim (is that the correct noun?) to the game?

Since civ 3 I have often thought this would be a useful unit, could build a town and instantly provide somekind of defensive and cultural bonus.. (if i recall, this was the idea of a kibbutz, to send communities out to build towns whilst using communal living to free up people for military and building work.

Perhaps a modified settler with large build time that once activated (set to build) would provide a basic unit (do we still have "conscript" level in civ4) and possibly a slight extension to the default culture (not fully developed but some increased culture, or at least a food bonus in the early stages?

I have played with one Israeli mod (civ 3) that didnt have this, but do not have the nouse or time to do this myslef (okay, im a lazy b*gger).

Also, does anyone else think this would be a good special unit? Sorry to ask other about this, but you folks seem t understand the history of this nation better than myself and also understand the whole modding thing better.

14. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I think this unit would be too overpowered, personally.

15. mknash

mknash Chieftain

That was my thought, hence the high cost suggestion. (same cost as unit and settler, the cultural advantage being the uu "bonus") To an outsider though they are the one thing that smack of israel. totally unique to that country and vital in a time of war.. I will go have a joint and reconsider the options for such a unit

16. UWS

UWS Chieftain

Funny that. I think of Solomon's Keys. But I'm weird. And not Israeli

That said, I'll be playing this :goodjob:

17. Tae

Tae Warlord

I would give Isreal the same UU as America. A super spy would be better, but I am not sure that is possible.

Also, I am not trying to be political or funny, it honestly just makes more sense to me than a War Charriot or Missionary.

18. Ariks

Ariks Chieftain

Hmmm, I like the slinger idea. Not sure if it should replace the archer though. But there isn't much choice in the ancient area.

19. didaskalia7

didaskalia7 Nightmare Proportions

:goodjob: I think this is great.
    David would be a better leaderhead, he was after all, a warrior king.
    David established the largest state of Israel over any other time period.
    He did this to give his son Solomon a peaceful country. It was also to
    secure the forest and other natural resources for the building of the
    Temple. Solomons name is actually a derivative of Shalom, peace. '
    Yo! David........:king: :crazyeye:

20. Plankhead

Plankhead Chieftain

Popular ideas have been Maccabee or Mossad. I'd go with the former, considering not everyone uses spies.