Issue: Art Assets Turn Blue When Game is Launched

HanNorwood

.exe
Hi all, first time modding for Civ VI. I'm currently in the process of doing art (leader screens/icons, diplo background, all that jazz), but I've run into a bit of a problem that I was hoping someone with some experience might be able to help with: (almost) everything is blue. Leader screen, leader icons, the background, the map on the loading screen... all of it (I haven't done building or unit icons yet, nor the color atlas). The only thing I've touched that hasn't turned to blue is the leader on the diplomacy screen, although his background is.

I'm very much inexperienced with code/art/modding, so I'm sure it's something simple that I am missing, but neither my dad nor I can figure it out. I am using @maconnolly 's incredible mod template as the base, and the art they use for the example Olmec civ doesn't appear blue in game, so I'm certain it's on my end, and I have a feeling it has to do with GIMP, but I'm really not sure. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated! I've provided the code for both the fallback and the "neutral" leader screens, because I think if I can find the key difference between those, I can figure out why I've turned into Eiffel 64. I did try setting both , <eFilterType>s to "BOX" and "LANCZOS6" but nothing changed. I can provide screenshots, if that would help!

Again, any help would be much appreciated; this is my first foray into modding since I was in middle school and made my dad do all the work because I understood nothing, and I'm getting disheartened that I'm struggling with what seems to be one of the more simple aspects of it, without having even started doing LUA for the abilities.

If there's more info I need to provide, let me know, and I'll get it as soon as I am able (though I move back to my university tomorrow, so I'll be kind of busy :crazyeye:)

Spoiler LEADER_TS_POPEGREG_NEUTRAL.tex :

<AssetObjects..TextureInstance>
<m_ExportSettings>
<ePixelformat>PF_R8G8B8A8_UNORM</ePixelformat>
<eFilterType>FT_LANCZOS6</eFilterType>
<bUseMips>false</bUseMips>
<iNumManualMips>0</iNumManualMips>
<bCompleteMipChain>false</bCompleteMipChain>
<fValueClampMin>0.000000</fValueClampMin>
<fValueClampMax>1.000000</fValueClampMax>
<fSupportScale>1.000000</fSupportScale>
<fGammaIn>2.200000</fGammaIn>
<fGammaOut>2.200000</fGammaOut>
<iSlabWidth>0</iSlabWidth>
<iSlabHeight>0</iSlabHeight>
<iColorKeyX>64</iColorKeyX>
<iColorKeyY>64</iColorKeyY>
<iColorKeyZ>64</iColorKeyZ>
<eExportMode>TEXTURE_2D</eExportMode>
<bSampleFromTopLayer>false</bSampleFromTopLayer>
</m_ExportSettings>
<m_CookParams>
<m_Values>

</m_Values>
</m_CookParams>
<m_Version>
<major>4</major>
<minor>0</minor>
<build>451</build>
<revision>343</revision>
</m_Version>
<m_Height>1080</m_Height>
<m_Width>800</m_Width>
<m_Depth>1</m_Depth>
<m_NumMipMaps>0</m_NumMipMaps>
<m_SourceFilePath text="C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\LEADER_TS_POPEGREG_NEUTRAL.dds"/>
<m_SourceObjectName text=""/>
<m_ImportedTime>0</m_ImportedTime>
<m_ExportedTime>2788853980</m_ExportedTime>
<m_ClassName text="UserInterface"/>
<m_DataFiles>
<Element>
<m_ID text="DDS"/>
<m_RelativePath text="LEADER_TS_POPEGREG_NEUTRAL.dds"/>
</Element>
</m_DataFiles>
<m_Name text="LEADER_TS_POPEGREG_NEUTRAL"/>
<m_Description text=""/>
<m_Tags/>
</AssetObjects..TextureInstance>

Spoiler FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_POPEGREG.tex :

<AssetObjects::TextureInstance>
<m_ExportSettings>
<ePixelformat>PF_R8G8B8A8_UNORM</ePixelformat>
<eFilterType>FT_BOX</eFilterType>
<bUseMips>true</bUseMips>
<iNumManualMips>0</iNumManualMips>
<bCompleteMipChain>true</bCompleteMipChain>
<fValueClampMin>0.000000</fValueClampMin>
<fValueClampMax>1.000000</fValueClampMax>
<fSupportScale>1.000000</fSupportScale>
<fGammaIn>2.200000</fGammaIn>
<fGammaOut>2.200000</fGammaOut>
<iSlabWidth>0</iSlabWidth>
<iSlabHeight>0</iSlabHeight>
<iColorKeyX>64</iColorKeyX>
<iColorKeyY>64</iColorKeyY>
<iColorKeyZ>64</iColorKeyZ>
<eExportMode>TEXTURE_2D</eExportMode>
<bSampleFromTopLayer>false</bSampleFromTopLayer>
</m_ExportSettings>
<m_CookParams>
<m_Values/>
</m_CookParams>
<m_Version>
<major>4</major>
<minor>0</minor>
<build>451</build>
<revision>343</revision>
</m_Version>
<m_Height>1080</m_Height>
<m_Width>800</m_Width>
<m_Depth>1</m_Depth>
<m_NumMipMaps>10</m_NumMipMaps>
<m_SourceFilePath text="C:\Users\Matt\Documents\My Games\MC_CivVI_Mods\_TS_WorkingFiles\_graphics\_DDS_FINAL\FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_POPEGREG.dds"/>
<m_SourceObjectName text=""/>
<m_ImportedTime>0</m_ImportedTime>
<m_ExportedTime>3339035304</m_ExportedTime>
<m_ClassName text="Leader_Fallback"/>
<m_DataFiles>
<Element>
<m_ID text="DDS"/>
<m_RelativePath text="FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_POPEGREG.dds"/>
</Element>
</m_DataFiles>
<m_Name text="FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_POPEGREG"/>
<m_Description text=""/>
<m_Tags>
<Element text="Leader_Fallback"/>
<Element text="Leader"/>
<Element text="Fallback"/>
</AssetObjects::TextureInstance>

Textures turning ‘blue’ is usually because the channels are the wrong way around in the DDS file.

It’s actually nothing to do with the Civ VI modding suite - the source image is likely the fault.

I’m afraid I use Photoshop - not GIMP - for image editing. In Adobe PS, the Intel Textureworks plug-in is what I use to export DDS.

I choose Colours + Alpha and what they call BC3 compression. The key thing it does is orders the colour channels a certain way around. I think it’s AGBR8. Typically, most things order the colour channels RGB - this atypical order is probably the cause for your blue textures.

Textures turning ‘blue’ is usually because the channels are the wrong way around in the DDS file.

It’s actually nothing to do with the Civ VI modding suite - the source image is likely the fault.

I’m afraid I use Photoshop - not GIMP - for image editing. In Adobe PS, the Intel Textureworks plug-in is what I use to export DDS.

I choose Colours + Alpha and what they call BC3 compression. The key thing it does is orders the colour channels a certain way around. I think it’s AGBR8. Typically, most things order the colour channels RGB - this atypical order is probably the cause for your blue textures.

Thank you @maconnolly! That set me down the right path to get it working!

Top Bottom