1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue when liberating City State

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MrRadar, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

How much longer we have to put up with this kind of things making no sense whatsoever? If you played the game for some time, you can tell at once what has happened here:

Yes, I've just liberated Mitla, got 6 uncontested envoys there and therefore become its Suzerain. Suzerainty grants open borders. So why and how much longer my units have to be booted out of the territory? Scattered to all four directions, and using up all their movement points on top of that, even units that had full movement left are now sitting ducks with 0 mp, at the mercy of the enemy. Why, FXS, why and how much longer you'll test our patience with this badly coded sequence of events?
    4 years in, this is already beyond frustrating. And come to think of this, unit teleportation should not be a thing at all in normal mode.

Moderator Action: Edited title as foreign language not allowed without translation, sorry --NZ

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
  2. Koljar

Koljar Chieftain

Guess this happens because, in order to add your envoys (and thereby your souzeranity status) the citystate first has to be added back to the game. As you don't have any envoys then you automatically get kicked out.
    Question is: What if you have the card slotted that gives you open borders with all CS? Do you still get kicked out because the game checks for this after adding it or is it automatically active?

We should be happy that this does not push our units all the way back into either unclaimed or self-owned territory :D

Earl of Pembroke likes this.
  3. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

I guess i never checked, but does it also give them 6 more tiles than what they had before they were liberated?(1 tile per new envoy after liberation) Probably shouldn't do that either tbh.

PiR and Leah and Rachael like this.
  4. criZp

criZp Emperor

Yes we know it is coded something dumb like that, the point was that it should not be this way.

aieeegrunt and 8housesofelixir like this.
  5. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Prince

It is the dumbest thing in this game.
    The catapult-teleport feature should def be patched out. Whoever came up with this bullfeathers code shouldnt be allowed to even touch a computer

I guess what you could do is stick in the card that grants open borders with all city states. I havent tested this, so no idea if this will disable the idiotic teleport machine

6. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

You get booted out even when having that card in place - I reported that a while ago as bug:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-afterwards-running-gunboat-diplomacy.660470/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    PiR, Kjimmet, MrRadar and 1 other person like this.
  7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yes one of the most annoying and sloppy details in the game.

lotrmith and 8housesofelixir like this.
  8. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

Happened to me in the game I'm playing. Liberated a city state, units seem to get pushed from the city outward. Unfortunately the three units I had flanking the backside get pushed 4 tiles away from my army directly into enemy territory. Consequently all three killed the next turn.

Incredibly poor design.

After the liberation of Paris in 1944, a section of Allied forces stationed on the eastern side of the city mysteriously teleported to the German border, where they appeared directly in front of multiple divisions of panzer tanks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    PiR, aieeegrunt, Meluhhan and 6 others like this.
  9. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

This still happens. I can't decide if the 100 diplomatic bonus is worth it, because the city state flips right back on culture after I liberate it. When I take it, it flips too, eventually I think if I take it enough it will have so few people left alive it will stay loyal. I also converted it to my religion and put a governor there, still flipped in 3 or 4 turns. I unleashed bread and circuses from my cities too. There is some "artifacts" nearby (on another continent) that make it -42 loyalty or something. You can guess who took it. But I can't have city states fall on my continent and serve as a cultist beachhead. I'm all for peaceful trading but if you flip cities that I'm Suzarain of, that is aggressive. Korea has declared war on the other one I share a continent with. It's like the AI doesn't want me to win diplomatically again. In other news I seem best at winning diplomatically in Civ VI.

10. Hokie Fan

Hokie Fan Chieftain

Another silly issue with liberating city states is that you can liberate city states that you were responsible for killing off. When the game reaches renaissance, if there is a coastal city state halfway across the map that has a bunch of envoys, I often just kill the city state with a couple frigates, wait 3-4 turns for it to flip independent and then liberate the city state for free suzerainty. I'm not sure that's really in the spirit of how "liberating" a city state should work.

PiR likes this.
  11. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

A possible solution: When an occupied city state loyalty flips it turns instantly back into the former CS instead of becoming a free city.

PiR likes this.
  12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It would make sense to first make you suzerain before finishing the war and kicking everyone out.
    Certainly all teleporting is damn annoying but this one seems just damn stupid.

PiR, Kjimmet, Noble Zarkon and 2 others like this.
  13. universecreep

universecreep Chieftain

This seems to be the story of Civ VI - sloppy.

Since release we've had the AI complaining about the player going bankrupt (even though they have a 1000's of gold) or whining about how we are letting the barbarians run amok even though there hasn't been any seen for 40 turns. The above mentioned issue is also very frustrating. It wouldn't take much to fix them. I like Civ and Firaxis but with CIV VI, they've focused too much on adding new gameplay systems rather than polishing the game.

Firaxis did a much better job with fixing issues in Civ V. I guess they've lost their touch.

Here's hoping Humankind is good - maybe the competition will get Firaxis smarten up.

PiR and japanesesamurai like this.
  14. Landenor Kersalis

Landenor Kersalis Chieftain

So it is July 2021 and I am still experience the issue.
    I liberated Muscat from the Kongolese Ruler.
    - i never had diplomatic relations with Muscat before liberation - it had been captured by Kongo, before I even got to make contact
    - I had the Open Borders Card active, still all my units were teleported out of the territory, but I was able to move through the territory again the next turn.
    - the moment i liberated the city state, it made peace with me.
    - Muscat does not show up either as a City State in the City state list, Nor does it appear as a Trade Destination (screenshot below)

I can make a save file available if interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  15. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

This mechanic is an absolute Failception

First off, it murders any semblance of immersion and has zero historical justification for being in the game. I’m sure Xenophen would have appreciated being teleported away from Persia though. The Jewish defenders of Jerusalem also would have been overjoyed to see Roman Legions randomly teleported into the Euphrates because they switched allegiance to Parthia.

But we need to go deeper

It also fails on a purely mechanics level. If for some stupid reason we have to teleport out of the neutral zone because Muh Boardgame Mechanics, why for the love of Soren is it basically random?

You could at least teleport them to the nearest empty friendly hex.

But we need to go deeper

As well as having your army teleported and scattered you also have your movement points expended so your forces are also even more sitting ducks. You can’t even try to respond to this nonsensical malarky

Wow, three levels of fail! It feels like ten years!

PiR likes this.
  16. Heyesey

Heyesey Chieftain

i doubt that. I think they;ve just realised that you don't make money by fixing bugs, but you DO make money by releasing paid-for expansions.

And until the general public refuses to pay for beta tests instead of finished games, they're right. Why waste your resources on bug-fixing when people pay for new content?

17. Landenor Kersalis

Landenor Kersalis Chieftain

So I went back to my save game, and re-took the city state, not pillaging first as I did the first time around, but going straight for the throat. So if you take the City State with the first available unit at the beginning of your turn, your other units -even though teleported - retain their full movement points and you can enter the city state territory right away (I have the city staty open border civic card)

But even though it appears that you are the Suzerain, you cannot interact with the City State as you can with others. The next turn it will declare war against those you are at war with, so that works too.

I opened an incident with R2K support, and was pleasantly surprise at a quick turn around initial response. I am still waiting on the follow up response but I am fine giving that a couple days... :)

18. Earl of Pembroke

Earl of Pembroke Chieftain

Yes, if you liberate a CS and have the card with open borders to all CSs (Gunboat Diplomacy), your units still get forcibly moved out of the newly-liberated CS's area of control.