Issues with updating vanilla civs and their artwork.

JFD

Kathigitarkh
I've had this issue a few times now. A number of my civ mods give new icons or maps to the existing leaders - Dido, Louis and Elizabeth, specifically. I update the respective vanilla civs to reference the new icon atlas containing their new art, and according to SQLite Manager, this is successful. However, in-game, it would seem that this is only an eighth true.

Take, for instance, this screenshot:

Spoiler :

That is exactly correct. But:

Spoiler :

That is not, and it is the vanilla icon that appears in-game too. And it completely escapes me what would be causing this. In the past, I have tried deleting the vanilla civ and re-adding it, but even that did not work. So I have resolved to insert the new icon into the original atlas and override the base art files, but now that this is the third civ with which this issue has arisen, that method is less desirable. This is also an issue that was not present upon first release of this England, as well as on the early phases of Dido and Louis, and seems to have arisen without cause.

If anyone has experienced this, and/or knows anything to resolving it, please let me know. Thanks.

What happens if England wasn't the selected civ from the previous game? It's possible that the Front End Menu system is loading and caching the icons/data BEFORE the mod alters them.

There's definitely caching going on in the icon hookup code, so it my be getting out of sync somehow. Where's the updated England mod (so I can shove some print's into the game core Lua code to see what's going on?)

Sorry to see you having this issue - seems a little illogical. I have just downloaded the GB set for the first time, selected Elizabeth and the icon was correct on the "modding game setup screen". I quit out and tried again, only this time round, it had defaulted to the original English icon.

On reloading, it was back to the modded icon from the GB pack; stayed like that a couple of times before defaulting to the original English icon again. I found that if I unchecked the mod, came back to the menu, then went back to recheck it, we were back to the modded icon again!

Sorry to see you having this issue - seems a little illogical. I have just downloaded the GB set for the first time, selected Elizabeth and the icon was correct on the "modding game setup screen". I quit out and tried again, only this time round, it had defaulted to the original English icon.

On reloading, it was back to the modded icon from the GB pack; stayed like that a couple of times before defaulting to the original English icon again. I found that if I unchecked the mod, came back to the menu, then went back to recheck it, we were back to the modded icon again!

Rob, I'm so glad you're seeing the same - I was beginning to think I was going mad! ... that's just not logical Spock!

The code that adds the civilizations into the selection list is updating the civ icon directly, the code that displays the selected civ on the main setup screen is updating the civ icon via the cache - hence the difference in operation.

The icon cache is only being cleared when mods are enabled/disabled (which explains the behaviour described by Rob)

So if the icon atlas is cached before the mod is loaded, and no other mods are enabled/disabled, you'll get the wrong icon.

The only fix would be to edit the core GameSetupScreen.lua file to bypass the cache, but then you can't (reliably) load that from a mod so it wouldn't really achieve much.

Looks like you're stuck with changing the base icon atlas textures

I could - it's what I had to do with Napoleon's France - and is possibly what I'll do this time, as it's easier than replacing the art files. However, it's less clean and difficult to say what effects it might have upon other mods.

Top Bottom