1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

it feels like i'm left behind

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Dakaa, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Dakaa

Dakaa Chieftain

my pc is too sh!t to play civ4 or civ5, i'm still playing the old civ3 after 9 years of civ3. :(

does anyone still play civ3 Multiplayer? I'm installing complete edition now.

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity

I would check in the MP forum, but I know games do go on over there.

3. Arcades057

Arcades057 Warlord

I bought CivIV a while back and played... one game I think? Then I switched back to CivIII. CivIII is definitely the best game I've ever played and it's helped me kill a lot of time over the years.

Test of Time with cities alone has probably helped a year pass pretty quick... besides the whole waiting in between turns. If your computer can handle it, try downloading the Balancer mod from this site; it's like getting a whole new game. Just make sure you follow the instructions correctly, then delete all of the added swordsman characters so the game doesn't crash whenever someone builds an Elven Swordsman which doesn't exist.

4. Allacalander

Allacalander Chieftain

IMO, the only way for Civ III to be improved would be a better AI. Since Civ 4 and 5 don't seem to deliver (from what I've heard) I'll stick with III.

Am curious about the hex tile system though...

5. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

The only thing i hated about Civ III was the ******** pollution, and the weird combat rolls. Those where the only things that made, in my mind, Civ III from being perfect. If i still had my game disk i would be playing...:rolleyes:

6. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Prince

Welcome Dakaa!!

Civ3 is all I play, someday when they make a decent AI and really make an upgrade to the game and not just a reshuffle and improvements to graphics/sound I'll buy a new version. In the meantime I enjoy the hell out of this game and thank all those folks buying new versions to keep the hope alive for that real upgrade.

In the meantime there are plenty of us here still playing and modding.

7. The Mad Russian

The Mad Russian Armchair Dictator

I just recently removed Civ 5 and all the steam stuff that came with it. After about month or so it was starting to make my CPU wonky, so I just decided to take it off. I went back to Civ III Complete, started up a new game, had to get used to the interface all over again and it wasn't long until I was fighting a two front war with the Vikings and Carthage. I love this game.

8. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Just an FYI, there is a InterSite Democracy Game (ISDG) ongoing. This game is like a MultiPlayer game, but with teams of people instead of just one person.

Oh,

:dance: :woohoo: :banana:

Welcome to the Forum, dakaa!

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

See my signature for a link to the most excellent team...
    Agreed...

[party] Welcome to the forums! [party]

10. DarkSable

DarkSable Chieftain

I still LOVE the Civ III out of all the editions.
    It's by far the best, in my opinion, and yes, I still play the multiplayer.
    mostly hotseat and play by email, though, cuz' my hours are so sporadic.

11. aukrest

aukrest History Buff

Civilization 3 is still my favorite as well, long live Civ3!

12. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

All hail Civilization III! :D

13. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

:cheers:

14. Sparthage

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :king: <=Civilization III

Civ4 Lovers=>:assimilate:<=Civ3 Lovers

15. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Sparthage: :lol:

I can't play Civ 4 - my ancient DinoComp won't run it. If it weren't for that, I'd at least give the game a whirl (unlike Civ 5, which I'll never play so long as it requires Steam :( ).

16. Sparthage

Well, when I first played Civ4, I failed to understand the concept of in-game religion which kind of ruined the game for me. Otherwise, I find the game fun, but really not as good as Civ3 to me.

17. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

From my reading, Steam isn't the only reason not to buy Civ 5. It is shocking how many Civ 4 players were lusting for the Civ 5 when it came out and started swearing about wasting $50. I thanked the free beta testers and didn't buy it (I also dislike Steam). The hostility the game generates among fanatics is incredible.

Civ 4 is a lot different from Civ 3. The AI doesn't play to win as much but diplomacy is much more transparent and important. Civ 5 actually seems to be an inferior remake of Civ 3, with ICS being a valid strategy and buildings seldom being worth it. If you get a new computer, 4 is worth a whirl, but I don't think 5 is.

18. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If that's true about Civ 5, it seems awfully strange to me. ICS seems something that the designer's wanted to limit in civ III, while it worked as basically the strategy in civ II.

19. Midleiro F.

Midleiro F. Chieftain

My computer won't run civ4 or 5 either, and i've always wondered what I was missing out on. Apparently not so much :) this thread makes me feel alot better now.

20. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I think the only game that really limits ICS is Civ 4. Some overlap is OK in 4, but if you put down a lot of cities close together the city maintenance will tank your research and unit support isn't such a big problem in 4. If you play at a higher level and put down more than 7 cities fast, it can really hurt. In fact, at high levels the Org trait is often considered the strongest specifically because it lets you pay for more cities.

I agree, it is awfully strange to me, too. In fact, I remember reading in the original Civ 4 manual that they specifically wanted to limit ICS in Civ 4 and had done so. I read in the Civ 5 thread that it's a valid strategy. I don't understand this - maybe I'm missing something in 5, I don't play it after reading about it and saving my $50.

Your comment about designers wanting to limit ICS in Civ III is a surprise to me. I never played II but knew they wanted to limit it in IV and did.