"It is an honor to meet you"

Minou

King
My apologies if the answer is obvious, but is there any actual effect to the greeting you choose when meeting on AI for the first time? I was under the impression that you can actually reveal your/their nearby city or capital and may or may not want to do so depending on your relative strength.
And, what about the choice:

"It is an honor to meet you"
or
"Well met stranger, but I am afraid we are too busy to stay and chat"

Is there any effect on diplomatic relations, or is this just flavor text? I have tried reloading the game and choosing a different option and as far as I can see it makes no difference...

Indeed there is and it is about where you are in relation to both capitals.
You are close to their cap you get to see theirs
They are close to your cap they get to see yours
But also there is a chance to see both
Or you can just say you are too damn busy or whatever.

Now this does not directly modify the ‘known’ diplomatic modifiers and it may not seem to modify anything a lot of the time but it does seem to make a random difference.
For example, in one game I distinctly remember I was 12 tiles away from their capital and when I met them and we shared caps they denounced me (on deity). When I replayed the first 50 turns (which I do as I look at various mechanics) the second time I said I was too busy and they did not denounce me.
Exactly what the modifier is and how it changes based on different civs I am not 100% sure but does seem like a random modifier is involved in first meet denouncement and this response may alter that.

The wiki cannot always be trusted but in this case seems to have the right idea.... hiowever in the same wiki page it has things wrong... for example
Performing an espionage mission against them, and getting caught: -5 permanent penalty. This prompts them to request that you stop spying on them.
nonono... it degrades. It is not hard to see this in the logs. It just degrades quite slowly is all.
upload_2020-2-16_22-33-46.png

How about this one - Making an unfavorable first impression: Penalty between -1 and -4.
... perhaps before modifiers for difficulty but no mention of that, I certainly get -7 first impressions when I play.
That link has annoyed me now :(

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind an option to attempt to send a delegation as part of the welcoming spiel.

Just as I wouldn't mind a feature available at least as far back as SMAC to propose to discuss another matter when the AI offers you a deal during its turn.

Wouldn't mind an option to attempt to send a delegation as part of the welcoming spiel.
Yes! I constantly forget to send a delegation on first meeting and when I remember a couple of turns later, they are unfriendly towards me and reject it.

Yes! I constantly forget to send a delegation on first meeting and when I remember a couple of turns later, they are unfriendly towards me and reject it.
+1

(although nowadays I forget only maybe 1 out of 10 times, it used to be 2 out of 3...)

Top Bottom