It is too easy to make Friendships and Alliances

I am not 100% sure but I get the impression war declarations are based in large part in relative military strength. So an AI that hates you may not attack if you are much more powerful. Likewise you might be a target of opportunity if you have a very weak military.

To be honest, it's too easy to make anything. Diplomacy is no exception.

If an AI civ dislikes you and is right next door to you and you have encroached on what they consider their lands they are quite likely to attack you but as @Minou hints it is about relative power. You may find in the logs them trying to bribe other civs including ones on the other side of the world to joint war you

I have found leaving my slingers ready to upgrade but not doing so and having my city 1 turn away from having walls really helps if you want to turn dislike into war... It is an inspiration to be declared on after all (defensive tactics) and now they have stopped CS declarations as counting often there is no other way.

It is not hard to make friendships and alliances if you send an envoy, clear an agenda, trade often, fulfil promises and just downright bribe em... but once you have started getting iffy with other nations they all get less friendly. Why not be friends with a friendly person?

Agendas and location often however stop you being friends with everyone and it is easy to get a polarisation effect where 2-3 groups of civs are friends in the game. It seems to be the dynamic they intended but naturally enough positives will overrule the friends with an enemy negative.

If you war you end up having no friends and cannot trade. If you do not war you end up with lots of friends and alliances and get good trades and alliance benefits. Seems like the right idea, maybe they make it easy because warring is easy the other way too?

Funny, I just across a thread that said diplomacy was impossible. :o

But if you think about it, not liking someone isn't exactly a reason to kill them.

In GS the AI is much less likely to declare war on you if you have a much better military. There is also a lot less Joint Wars than in vanilla. It is easier to play a whole game without actually going to war at all. But putting a city close to an AI capital is likely to result in them declaring a war on you.

I often not able to have alliances with my direct neighbours, only the far away guys.
Direct neighbours usually goes denouncing

Yes. On deity I always play peaceful & usually I end up being friendly with every single AI after a certain point in the game.
I usually only have to go to war like once, maybe twice at most, in the early game, after that it's smooth sailing.

Top Bottom