[R&F] It seems better to be in Dark Age

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Naval Raider +100% prod policy
Naval+100% policy

Chop +100% Governor
At that time a chop yields ~120 prod, with governor, 240, +200%, 720.
A Privateer costs 280, you spend 93 prod and get 279/280, then chop, you get 719 prod overflow.

Oh, I miscalculated that when the world is Renaissance the player shall be in Information, so chop yield shall be ~170(since electricity shall be reserved), 340 with governor, 1,020 overflow.

Conclusion: 200% overflow is scary. You actually use 93 prod+1 tree+1 worker charge, and get a privateer+1019 overflow.
(Enough for a Renaissance Wonder, or a Renaissance Great Person with projects only)

This can be done as long as there is tree, so you can do it multiple times. Every time provides an overflow of a brand new wonder.

1189 With Norway(+250%), so Norway seems to become one of the most powerful Civ in Rise and Fall.

Especially when the Monarchy +50% towards walls being cancelled, and this naval overflow becomes unsubstituted.

Furthermore, it seems that a Renaissance Dark Age matches the time to launch your spaceship, so I think the time of SV will be seriously improved using such strategy. It'll be easy to chop through these GP points using Privateer overflow. (Please research electricity in the end)

Taj Mahal? Negative Wonder! I want to be in dark age!

Last edited:
Furthermore, it seems that a Renaissance Dark Age matches the time to launch your spaceship, so I think the time of SV will be seriously improved using such strategy

How in the world can you launch your spaceship in the Renaissance Age when you need atomic era tech? Can you research atomic techs in the renaissance age? :confused:

He is a very good player - he techs really fast :)

Agreed - unless there is some other negative to a dark age other than just lower city loyalty then it just seems a big win to be in one. The more modifier cards they add into the system the more options there are to exploit/unbalance things.

They could solve a lot of balance issues if they just made chops a flat yield and not subject to policy cards or other buffs.

I'm still holding out (a fading) hope that they are going to do something to fix how overpowered chops are.

It'll be easy to chop through these GP points using Privateer overflow.
Or just chop in the projects and ignore the GP, the chop becomes so strong....

chop in 5 spaceports and projects... makes it all about the science and not the gold.

its done nothing to reduce the power of the goddess of the harvest which can now correctly educate the Jesuits

How in the world can you launch your spaceship in the Renaissance Age when you need atomic era tech? Can you research atomic techs in the renaissance age?
He is in the Information Era, the rest of the civs are in the Renaissance or below... The world era is an average +1

Last edited:
Or just chop in the projects and ignore the GP, the chop becomes so strong.... its done nothing to reduce the power of the goddess of the harvest

Previously late game project/spaceport overflow we can only use Observation Balloons, 120 prod for one chance of tree+100%, not really exciting but only benefit a little. But this Privateer overflow really makes sense.

Previously late game project/spaceport overflow we can only use Observation Balloons, 120 prod for one chance of tree+100%, not really exciting but only benefit a little. But this Privateer overflow really makes sense.

Why bother with the privateer?
Your governor gives you 100%.... that's 340 per chop. Hong Kong and Democracy = 150%... 425 prod from 170 chop.
A 1650 project is 4 chops... You can chop in your spaceport and project from 8 trees... just about... you just need 20% from Goddard and its easier, or Goddard instead of Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Why bother with the privateer?
Your governor gives you 100%.... that's 340 per chop. Hong Kong and Democracy = 150%... 425 prod from 170 chop.
A 1650 project is 4 chops... You can chop in your spaceport and project from 8 trees... just about... you just need 20% from Goddard and its easier, or Goddard instead of Hong Kong.

Democracy bonus on GP yield instead of prod.
you can't expect Hong Kong appear every time.
Project costs 7,800 prod while 1,800 for Spaceport, that's 9,600 for a single city.

Democracy gets 30% bonus (legacy) on projects... that includes chop I believe.

I am saying 5 cities with 5 spaceports lily... or 3 at the end... No Hong Kong?... you should be able to buy Goddard without Big Ben... but with this chop, lets chop in the Hermitage just because we can

The last 3 projects cost 1650 each in production don't they?

I guess you do not get project chop for the spaceport... hmmmm 11 trees

The aztecs do not have to worry about the spaceport so they are still very viable

Last edited:
Democracy gets 30% bonus (legacy) on projects... that includes chop I believe.

I am saying 5 cities with 5 spaceports lily... or 3 at the end... No Hong Kong?... you should be able to buy Goddard without Big Ben... but with this chop, lets chop in the Hermitage just because we can

The last 3 projects cost 1650 each in production don't they?

I guess you do not get project chop for the spaceport... hmmmm 11 trees

I don't know what you're saying, you shall count in the prod cost of Spaceports, which is 1,800. Also the +100% chop governor can only be assigned in one city one time, moving it costs 5 turns. Also, the projects cost 1,800. Moreover, you cannot build the last 3 projects before you finish the first two.

Well, you had to suck it up to get into the dark age, so now you're getting mechanics to dig yourself out of the hole.

I would really hope they finally do away with overflow in rise and fall. It's gone unchecked long enough.

The designers said it might be worthwhile to aim to be in a dark age & then get a "heroic" age. So, I would need all the specifics, what such a "heroic" age does ;)

I would really hope they finally do away with overflow in rise and fall. It's gone unchecked long enough.

The designers said it might be worthwhile to aim to be in a dark age & then get a "heroic" age. So, I would need all the specifics, what such a "heroic" age does ;)

Due to today's livestream I'd rather stay in the dark age forever instead of aiming for "heroic" or sth. (which is only an enhanced version of golden age, allows you to choose 3 dedications), the dark age bonus is so strong, you just lose a little loyalty, which is sure to be covered by simply wiping out all nearby Civs.

Dark Age has loyalty penalties, while golden and heroic age have bonuses. That's important.
Also, I believe we still dodn't see the big picture yet.

Dark Age has loyalty penalties, while golden and heroic age have bonuses. That's important.
Also, I believe we still dodn't see the big picture yet.

The loyalty penalty alone is enough to make Dark Ages hard to swallow. With a 7 governor cap, it's going to be very hard to deal with a dark age if you've gone wide. Border cities will be flipping faster than burgers at McDonald's.

Also, some of the dedication bonuses for Golden Ages are insanely OP too. I'm thinking that weaving Dark Age-Heroic Age to get the triple dedication might be better than aiming for back to back Golden Ages.

Agreed - unless there is some other negative to a dark age other than just lower city loyalty then it just seems a big win to be in one.

Do not underestimate the loyalty penalty. It can pretty harsh depending on the situation. A wide empire could potently lose several cities from a Dark Age.

Top Bottom