1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Italian Empire

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Jimmyballz, Apr 11, 2008.

1. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

Is that the tri-colored flag?

That's not really a decal.

A decal is a two-colored flag, usually with an icon on it.

2. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

I agree, and I am Italian. If I were to create a civ, I wouldn't know how to start, and even though I couldn't try the civ yet (I can't play without History in the Making now, so either it's modular or it will have to wait :) I am very respectful of the amount of work behind it. Personally however I think that a theater would be a better choice as the unique building (perhaps giving GP points), especially to reflect the during the 18-19th century epoch, which is more or less the time slice for the civ, leaderheads etc. I think I proposed something like that in a previous post.

3. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

Hmm. I'd forgotten that about the Oromo Warrior. I'll have to reconsider my earlier post. It's also true that since it's tied to Riflemen, it doesn't become available until later in the game, so making it more powerful won't be too unbalancing.

I wouldn't say that! It's no less inaccurate than Churchill of the English Empire....

Good question. I would NOT de-couple the generic Colloseum from Construction, since it would put Italy at a disadvantage. Ideally I'd suggest some sort of bonus to a religious building (since church and state were pretty tight, at least initially in the Kingdom of Italy,) but we'd have to create a new building/graphic for each religion's "cathedral" (e.g., "Italian Christian Cathedral", "Italian Islamic Mosque", etc.) Maybe a
    replacement for drydock, giving Italian ships a combat bonus or something? I seem to recall the Italian Navy doing...well, okay in World War II.

4. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Sorry it's not in modular format. I remember your earlier post about the theatre, and since there already is a theatre, nothing really genuine came to mind. A museum is the only thing I came up with, but not sure how popular or widespread they are in Italy (especially compared to other nations). I appreciate your insight, but I had nothing to take it to the next level.:)
    I like the idea of a drydock replacement UB, as there isn't one currently in bts. After some looking around, there are some variations, like a pontoon drydock aka a floating drydock. Italy did use them, along with some other nations. One interesting bit is that the first record of a floating drydock came from Italian writings in the 14th century. Not sure what else could replace the drydock. So a UB drydock would of course have it's own advantages.

5. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

No need to be sorry :) I will just have to find the time to transport it myself, if I will ever be able to do that...

My idea was to introduce something like the Forum is for the Market in the Roman civ. The theatre UB could be called, for example "La Fenice", or "La Scala".

Another idea could be a replacement for the bank, since the first bank has been built in what is now modern Italy; but that would be around 1400 CE and the general feel of the Civ is about the 19th century.

I have to admit that I have little knowledge about the amount and complexity of museum abroad compared to what we have here. However I live in Venice and I couldn't count the museums/art galleries we have. I have no idea what building you could replace with a museum, though. the Library? They come very early in the game and I think it would raise the same doubts as for the Colosseum.

6. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

Another sugestiion... University... we have in Bologna the most old University... even if it could be a reinassance building...

7. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

8. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

9. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Yes, I believe so. This was also on the same tread:

10. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

Cause i've added the ar-sc 70 to his Carabinieri and asked to him permission... He didn't answered... btw here the files, i will wait another day and then i will post in a thread, with all the credits anyway. And tell me what do You think...

Attached Files:

11. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

@KrugerPritz- Going to use the Carabinieri right after this saved game. Can't wait! This game is lasting longer than I thought it would.:)

12. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

Instead I'm not playing a full game anymore... as i'm waiting to pass to vista 64bit... I spend my time by increasing the mod i use with more graphics and to exercise me in creations... It's a Looooong way. :):hammer2: :badcomp: :deadhorse:

13. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Lol. Okay, sounds good. I should work on the football stadium .xml soon too.:bounce:

It looked like Spain played very good vs. Russia, so ITA did't get beat by an easy opponent:lol:
    We didnt play good at all vs Spain, but Spain was solid and solid again vs Russia. In fact before the game Russia looked like a stronger team than Spain imho.
    -jb

14. KrugerPritz

KrugerPritz King

To resolve the question about stadium in the ancient era... You could leave the colosseum graphic in the acient and turn in the stadium graphics in the industrial era...

15. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

yes, the updated will all also be in 'modular' format too finally :D

16. "<-_Danny_->"

"<-_Danny_->" Chieftain

I want Garibaldi PRO/CHA.

i want in the italian city list more cities. look in my signature.

17. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Garibaldi was a General not a Civ Leader.

18. "<-_Danny_->"

"<-_Danny_->" Chieftain

Lo sappiamo tutti. Come Leader allora che mettiamo?

19. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

you took the wrong approach in desiging the civilization IMO. The italian civilization wasn't born in 1861 (which is only the date of political unity of the italian state) but way before, and its major achievements come also before this date, in particular from the Renaissance. Your UB, UU and leaders are all from the modern age, which has little to offer. For example, with all the UBs that you could come up with, the modern football stadium, which isn't even unique or originary from Italy, is really a poor choice IMO.
    For the leader, I would say Lorenzo de'Medici. There's even his LH ready on this forum.

20. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

Well, Stock Exchanges aren't really unique to England, nor are malls to America, or research institutes to Russia.

Italians are just big soccer nuts.