ITNES I - An Epoch of Change

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ThomAnder

ThomAnder Deity

How can you hold out when your most productive lands aren't under your rule anymore :p

2. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Yes, that was definitely a good turn for you. But you were economically gutted. We would have won by attrition, but it would have been bloodier.

3. Sheep

Sheep Orange Shrooms!

Then again Iggy may be here after all...

4. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

What do you mean by that at all? Did you think I was dead?

5. Finmaster

Finmaster The White Ghost

Just came back to see how DIE was doing, glad to see it alive and well at the end of the game :)

Yes I think it was still winnable because we would've soon received aid from Gaul and their gang, but the problem was that Luca had just became an NPC nation ;) the way I saw it, ANYONE could've grabbed, maybe even someone I didn't like and/or trust. So taken that into account selling Luca was the only reasonable thing for me to do.

Anyway, I would've never signed that peace had you been playing Luca atm ;)

My favourite moment: When erez tried to cross the pillars with 20 ships certain that they'd get through :D Also the destruction of Carthage. When taken the entire NES (includin the first 3 IT's into account), my favourite moment was recovering the newly-formed nation of DIE after the Hun invasion which nearly killed me off.

Least favourite moment: Those are all from this IT. Getting soldiers die in Sahara because they didn't drink water. Another moment was when Slavania betrayed me, I had a huge army prepared for their betrayal and they killed every last man of that army of mine.

Anyway, a fun NES and an epic NES it was for DIE indeed, from te beginning of IT II (thats when Dacia was created :)) all the way to the end.

6. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

You forgot that I had Dacian economy behind me :p you couldn't have won unless khmer would have sent 100+ thousands and same amount of ships to help ya.

7. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Except that would only have been a third of my economy and military--and all of yours. :p

8. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

That's why it read "unless".

9. das

das Regeneration In Process

Awards for ITNES I IT IV:

Player Awards:

Winner: Tied between Symphony D. and Disenfrancised; the former may be strongest conventionally, but the latter, starting with a far weaker position, achieved great power and far greater world-wide influence than anybody else.
    Best Player: erez87 - all-around good, despite occasional craziness. Good balance of detail in orders. And quite persistant as well.
    Most Persistant Player: Reno - fought on to the very end and then just rebelled again.
    Least Persistant Player: North King - left very early on despite previously being one of the most insistant demanders of IT IV.
    Most Innovative Player: Disenfrancised - lots of tactical, political and technological innovation.
    Best Unsung Leader: tossi - though Phoenicia's bid for a colonial empire didn't succeed, he still managed to transform his country into a prosperous, influential power regionally and to forge trade ties with the greater part of the world.
    Most Agressive Player: emu - didn't spend a turn without a war after joining.
    Least Agressive Player: LittleBoots - didn't do anything before quitting. Everybody else managed to fight someone at least, pirates at worst.
    Best Orders: erez87 - as I said before, they were well balanced, and the typos weren't too bad.
    Best Tactics: emu - other players also had good tactics, but his generally worked the best and were the easiest for me to work with without being too simplistic.
    Best New Player: Niklas - though The Strategos was also good, he left early, while Niklas, by the end of the game, had to carry the weight of coordinating all the League of Three Circles operations - quite succesfully, and likewise with his domestic policies.
    Best Storywriter: Symphony D. - good, epic stories, though he didn't have too much competition except for from Israelite9191.
    Luckiest Player: Lord_Iggy - despite military defeats, somehow managed to come out on top and to benefit from the mistakes and misfortunes of all of his neighbours.
    Unluckiest Player: Sheep - no matter what he did large coalitions kept forming against him. Lost two superpowers that way.
    Most Cunning Player: Disenfrancised - real nice world-wide web of influence, as well as adept manipulation wherever useful. Organised the self-destruction of two nations.
    Evilest Player: emu - though his tenure in Nordrike was more-or-less benevolent or at least lawful, his Frankish campaign was probably the most brutral event here. For less spontaneous, more organised evil, Finmaster did good as well with his ethnic minorities, though it backfired once.
    Most Inquisitive Player: Again, tied between Symphony D. and Disenfrancised - both of them asked me lots of questions (one long PM per turn each), at least until the last turns of the game.
    Most Rebellious Player: Imago - with his revenge attempt and previous and contemporary conspiracies he helped organise.
    Most Suicidal Player: Thlayli - his last-moment Suzhou bid alone is enough, and he made some risky moves as Gaul previously too.
    Unluckiest Moose: LuckyMoose.

Nation Awards:

Greatest Power: Oceanic Empire.
    Greatest North American Power: Algonquian Confederation.
    Greatest South American Power: Huancac.
    Greatest European Power: Dacoillyria, with Greater Nordrike and Onoghuria catching up fast.
    Greatest African Power: Sri Dukunnugeya.
    Greatest Middle Eastern Power: Parhae.
    Greatest Far Eastern Power: Oceanic Empire, with Tieh China as a firm second.
    Biggest Rise: Sri Dukunnugeya - from secondary regional power with uncertainty of survival, to the most influential of the superpowers.
    Most Influential Nation: Sri Dukunnugeya - thanks to Nevasanghist missionary and banking operations, but also to diplomatic maneuvers.
    Most Surprising: Aryavarta - didn't expect it to be crushed this thoroughly.
    Evilest Empire: Dacoillyria - though weakened, it still is powerful and wealthy, and its ethno-cultural "assimilation" programmes are proceeding nicely.
    Longest Name: Holy Tarunist Empire of Greater Nordrike.
    Most Screwed-up Nation (that still exists): Gaelic Empire.
    Strongest Army: Imperial Oceanic Army.
    Strongest Navy: Imperial Oceanic Navy.
    Strongest Air Force: Imperial Oceanic Navy Battle Kites.
    Largest Nation: Oceanic Empire.
    Smallest Nation: Nadruvia.
    Strongest Economy: Oceanic Empire.
    Most Technologically Advanced: Oceanic Empire.
    Most Patriotic: Phoenicia.
    Most Original Nation: Kingdom of the Dawn Land.

Favorite Moment: The First Atlantic War (meaning the actual Atlantic operations; that was some grand strategy involved there, and the Battle of Alantkage was quite epic as well)

Sorry: andis-1. :p

10. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Quite nice. Seems I'm slipping as a player. But I got a ridiculous number of nation awards, so it's alright. However:

I do beg to differ. :p

Even with Tieh China's (apparently unactivated, possibly destroyed or compromised) 50 Thousand Reserve it was still 7 Thousands short. Even if you discount my Reserves you must also discount their Levies (and any Reserves), in which case it's 239 vs. 252. "Imperial" comes before "Oceanic" in the service titles, BTW.

Battle Kites were also theoretically extensively used by the Army for recon. I also didn't send many questions at all, compared to NES2 VI anyway (my record there for a single turn was, IIRC, 67; here it was maybe 15 on a heavy turn)...

11. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Nice. Though I don't think I'm 'lucky'. I just happened to put myself in a situation where I had allies. International political maneuvering helped to make up for subpar warmongering skills.

12. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

yay ^-^. I guess there is a first time for everything! My first realy good reward :D

13. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

Heh...sad...I knew I should have invaded and genocided someone....

14. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Wow, I wasn't really expecting anything. Best New Player sounds nice, but I must admit I'm surprised at the Greatest North American Power award. I would have thought both Nortugal and Hong Kong had me there. Not that I'm complaining, yay! :D

15. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Non-local (colonial) powers aren't usually counted, historically.

16. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Their not north american powers as such....

17. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

Damn. Didn't slaughter enough inhabitants of conquered cities :(

18. das

das Regeneration In Process

Firstly, as for question-asking, I noticed that too - it simply means that my ploy to minimise questions by adding troop numbers on the map and more detailed cultural descriptions has worked.

Hmph. Well, they still do have better cavalry than you. ;)

I just happened to be in such a situation that allies naturally flocked to you, to no smal lextent thanks to actions of others. Anyway your enemies also often made mistakes that helped you greatly. Not to say that your diplomacy wasn't adept, though.

Hong Kong is only beginning to come into full force, and was weakened by the war. Nortugal is overcommited; it may be stronger than you, but not on the North American mainland, not yet anyway. Plus what Symphony said.

I'm sure that's only because you didn't conquer enough cities. ;)

19. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

The irony in that sentence hurts me deep inside. Worst mistake ever made by me -_-

20. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Oh and I thought about something. shouldn't I get weirdest government award?