1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's 1968 again: We have a pandemic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedRalph, Jun 11, 2009.

1. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

from BBC

Bah. It'll be fine.

2. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

I'm going to the States this summer, and I really want to go to Mexico. I hope this doesn't restrict travel there from the US even more. Can't see how it wouldn't though. :sad:

Don't see what the big deal is though, how many people has it killed?

3. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I WAS GOING TO POST THIS :run:

Before anyone posts how strange the label "pandemic" sounds for a death-toll of just 141, IT IS ALREADY EXPLAINED IN THE ARTICLE.

:run:

4. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

I hope it restricts travel! I don't know how serious this pandemic is, as most of these things are overblown. But the excuse given that "oh, there is no point shutting down travel with Mexico because it won't stop the disease" is crap! Ya, it won't stop it, but if it slows down the spread by 4 months, there is a lot more time to develop a vaccine and use it on a lot more people. What is the point of pandemic planning if people are too weak-willed to disrupt commerce until it is too late!

Again, it may be overblown, but the whole issue has shattered my faith in government to do what is necessary: stand up to commercial interests!

5. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

The virus has already spread to Europe, North and South America, Oceania, Africa and Asia, but if we quarantine those continents then hopefully it won't spread to Antarctica.

6. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Seasonal flu is more dangerous than swine flu.

7. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

They could have slowed the spread by reducing unnecessary travel months ago to Mexico.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

It's only killed 141 people. You're more likely to die in a plane crash on your way to Mexico than to die from the disease itself.

9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    You call this a pandemic? This is nothing compared to the Great Zombie Attack of '57.

10. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Indeed. This article should have the headline: No Reason toPanic!

11. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

Whilst it has a grave potential, I would still like to point out that people die of the season flu aswell, particularly the elderly and the malnurished.

12. ThERat

ThERat Deity

what the heck? what do they do if there is really a somewhat more deadly virus spreading? give it a 6+

those fear mongers from WHO need to be kept in check. can we sack em or veto just as the UN resolutions get regularly vetoed by those UN security council members.

I am so glad to leave Singapore for a while. Tomorrow I can imagine all the ignorant fools panicking

13. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Again, if you read the article, you would see that the WHO states that the current rating system was designed for deadly, bird flu-like diseases, and not the rather lightweight version in swine flu.

14. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Why do people keep conflating zombies with a flu pandemic? I swear, if I hear the word "zombie" again, I'm going to blow someone's head off with a shotgun. Also, I thought the media was being silent on this flu "pandemic".

15. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Irony. This post has it.

And miss out on monies?

16. Theige

Theige American Baron

EVERYBODY PANIC!

Dumb WHO.

17. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Just like in 1976, when that Democrat, Jimmy Carter, was president. And Obama's a democrat, and Swine Flu's back. Coincidence?

18. JtheJackal

JtheJackal Emperor

Swine Flu kept spreading even after the media started ignoring it? Is it allowed to do that?

19. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Yes that is true. But that is not what they were saying in Canada when they wouldn't restrict travel. They basically said, "it wouldn't do any good", which is a lie. Assuming it was a really dangerous disease, travel restrictions could help.

20. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

But would it be a good idea? Travel restrictions would kill people indirectly, due to loos of income.