It's a stretch but...

Albatoonoe

Warlord
I have an idea about seasons and weather. I know most of you say that seasons is a no-go because they game is run in years and I agree with that fact, but I have an idea about implenting it.

Every so many turns, you land on the next season in that year. Each turn would be more "So-and-so years and so-and-so months" rather than straight years. It's a stretch, but seasons could be worth it.

Although the game is fine as is, seasons would make warfare more interesting and require more strategy.

Good point... especially in the winter time and summer. Hurricanes and other natural disasters would be good to.

I always figured that the turn happens over the course of that year. It's a bit unrealistic to assume that stretching the turn length to 13 months would make a difference:

"Sir, we can't invade Russia, it's the winter!"
"Fine, then wait a couple of months, then invade Russia."
"We can't do that! We can't move for another thirteen months, by which time it will be winter again."
"Alright, just wait for sixteen months, then invade Russia!"
"But we can only move once every thirteen months!"
"Were you listening? I said not to move in thirteen months, just give the troops a little three-month break, then invade Russia when it isn't winter!"
"You don't seem to understand, sir. We can only move our troops at the beginning of a certain thirteen-month cycle. It is possible to not move at this time, but skipping this "turn"--as our logistical planners call it--will leave the unit locked in place until the next "turn" comes up thirteen months later."
"So, to avoid the Russian winter, we have to wait..."
"Three years and three months."

I think that the weather is such a complex thing to implement (seasons being completely different depending on where you're located) that the developers have left it out, even though it has proved to be a crucial factor when waging war throughout history. Like currents and winds that completely dominated naval warfare in the past, this has also been left out since applying these mechanics to each individual map would require a fair bit of complex work for the progammers. Its a nice idea, but I doubt I'll be seeing it soon.

Top Bottom