It's announced! You know you want it!

I am definitely looking forward to TES V, I love Oblivion and Morrowwind. In truth Oblivion did begin to grate with me as I started to lose my love for the realm after too short of a time, but the Mods for it kept me interested for ages more.

I am especially intrigued that there seems to be a new/revamped graphics engine for V. And while I value story and gameplay more than looks, Oblivion's weird graphical choices (especially the dead eyed people and overly repeated dungeon aesthetics) really took me out of the immersion. Hopefully this revamped graphics engine will do better.

Side note: I was skimming above posts and saw Holy War mentioned a few times and my heart skipped a beat. I thought for a second that Skyrim would have something to do with a Holy War against the other parts of Tamerial. Which would be friggin sick albeit completely random.

Now If Oblivion ended with your character declaring the superiority of Akatosh and using his/her public support to begin a holy war across Tamerial that would have made Oblivion's ending 10x better albeit also completely random.

My biggest gripe with Oblivion was the dungeon design. Sure, the world was huge and fun to explore, but most of the dungeons had no flavor to them, were really tedious to clear (seriously, a cave going on for 5 levels is too much) and had uninteresting loot and enemies due to the level scaling. Ayleid ruins were OK. Caves and Oblivion Gates were boring and I ended up skipping most of them. Dungeons in Morrowind were smaller and had much more interesting content (I especially liked tombs).

I also ended up disliking many of the questlines, due to the lack of dialogue and choices. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood ones were good, but the Main Quest and Mages Guild questlines felt too generic, and the Fighters Guild one was simply awful ("The bad guys use berserk-inducing drugs and burned down a village, so we're gonna torture one of them to learn their secrets and exterminate them, but we're still the good guys"? Just what were they thinking?). At least there were some good / fun sidequests and characters here and there, which is why I ended up liking the game in the end. I still need to play Shivering Isles, its concept and setting seemed better than the main game.

I hope Skyrim will be better on these issues, though I have little hope for good dungeons. Fallout 3 definitely convinced me that Bethesda's dungeon designers should be fired.

Oh and pleaaase Bethesda, no more elves that looks like creepy cartoon characters :x

true, the dungeons were boring and unimaginative, and so was the main quest ( compared to morrowind ) . I think most of the quests were better than morrowind though, less "go there, kill that guy, bring back that thing" quests. nothing that blew your mind away mind you, but still better imho.

[to_xp]Gekko;10012873 said:
if you're talking about "the game is more casual, fast travel, to stamina loss while running etc." then I agree but it doesn't take much to add some realism enhancing mods. same thing for the hand-holding

Yep - I spent a lot of time "fixing" that sort of thing. It was certainly do-able, but getting all the relevant mods I wanted working together, plus adding some fiddling of my own, took up a lot of time.

the one big unfixable drawback imho is definitely the fact that its's more action and less rpg. mainly due to the fact that all dialogue is voiced and lip-synched, which means waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less dialogue than morrowind.

Yeah, I didn't like that. Combined with the setting that's the essential, damning (IMO), difference. Though I think it went a little beyond cutting down on the text. Betheda tried to make Oblivion more accessible. Part of this is the mod-correctable hand-holding. But I think it went beyond that and Oblivion's world is a simpler, less interesting world where your decisions as a gamer (but not necessarily as a character) matter even less. The mini-games - and I'll count combat as one here - are examples of that: To a great extent a player's skill - or persistence - could substitute for the character's. Joining/advancing in the world's factions is another example: Oblivion's system may be more quest-based (but see the note on quests later), but Morrowind system of often mutually-exclusive factions was much less forgiving about the character's characteristics and actions.

And speaking of the fully voiced and animated characters: I didn't like the character graphics much - uncanny valley territory, IMO. Not a big deal, though.

It was the exotic, relatively "deep" setting more than anything else that sold me on Morrowind. Oblivion seemed far more sketchy. Take away Morrowind's setting and it was pretty unexceptional outside the challenge of moving around Vvardenfell. Which I enjoyed a great deal. And while mods could make Oblivion *more* of a survival game, I never found/tweaked any that equaled the Morrowind experience. Or even got what I consider very close.

I loathed the mini-games. If there were some real time-pressure they would have been good. But there wasn't. Fixable with mods, happily. I'd rather go with a % chance.

Same for fighting, really. In principle I like the idea of divorcing fighting from "rolls." As it worked out, however, I didn't think much of Oblivion's combat engine. I added some mods that made the player and NPCs take wounds, suffer more from fatigue, and that sort of thing. But... I guess the "uncanny valley" concept works here too: It wasn't abstract enough for me to ignore the deficiencies in realism. But I'm an amateur fencer in real-life and in general a realism buff. As a computer game the combat may have been fine, but it was yet another thing that hurt my role playing gamer's suspension of disbelief more than many a game's more abstract system.

Overall I'd call the new system an improvement, and hope they improve it further in the next game. But combined with other things that hurt immersion in Oblivion the combat system was a negative for me.

Hmm... and lets talk "uncanny valley" with respect to the quests: In Morrowind most quests were basically courier runs with added homicide. However, they had a fascinating backdrop. Oblivion quests were often more involved... but not to the point where I actually found them interesting.

I thought the basic idea for the main quest great: Oblivion is invading and you're *not* the Chosen One. As things worked out I thought the invasion was a fizzle. I was picturing, like, armies clashing over a broad front, expeditions behind enemy lines, desperate missions to save cities Before Its Too Lake, and most of Cyrodiil getting wrecked by default... and I still felt like the Chosen One because I seemed the only thing in the world actually moving. An exaggeration, but that was my impression. Morrowind didn't have a very dynamic world, but I think it gave the illusion of one better than Oblivion.

Gameplay-wise, I found things a lot smaller in the sense that I couldn't run as many characters. In Morrowind I ran something like 4 characters and they all had more than enough to do without much overlap, and the game had enough interesting skill combinations to make them play very differently. I thought some of the magic-skills OP, but I put them on a Atronach character to limit them. (No mana potions allowed!) So I had to do some finagling and modding, but I got several interesting-to-play characters.

In Oblivion I planned 3 characters... then cut it back to 2... then settled on one, maybe two if the game's fun enough... then quit. Maybe modding could have saved things, but the potential combos didn't excite me.

Note this is not so much a function of the number of skills/spells, but how they all actually work in-game. Unfortunately I don't remember enough about the details to discuss it more.

I also didn't like how over-crowded Oblivion's world was with "dungeons". Morrowind suffered from this to some extent, too. But I found it much more excusable on Vvardenfell. With Oblivion, though, it was an immersion-killer for me. Cyrodiil, while it may have fallen on hard times recently, should have been far less full of monsters than a Blighted island, not more.

It really just comes down to what you're looking for in a game, I think. The differences between Oblivion and Morrowind are more shifts of emphasis than anything else. But for me they pretty much all were in a direction I didn't want to go with an RPG. As an action-adventure game, OTOH, most changes were clear improvements. But so far as action-adventures go I'd rather play Stalker. Which is probably still more like Morrowind than Oblivion...

I found Fallout 3 a little disappointing, btw, but mostly too small/short. I enjoyed what there was well-enough.

But really, I disliked the quick move.
Wow, just the opposite. One of the things I hated most about Morrowind was how tedious and time-consuming it was to get around.

I enjoy exploring new places manually, but just walking back and forth over ground I've passed many times before just gets really, really tedious.

@Tarq: morrowind's setting was far superior, it's true. Cyrodiil was just uninteresting and repetitive, while morrowind was choke-full with lore, interfaction conflict and deep backgrounds everywhere. the whole island and its landscape had a lot of character. you could go from the bitter coast, to the ashlands, to the telvanni areas, to the grasslands around Suran... so much diversity that was missing from Oblivion.

that said, the playing character was unbelievably slow in morrowind. getting around was often a chore indeed. what Ahriman said :lol:

I disagree with "too many baddies around" though, I LOVE the MMM more wilderness life experience in oblivion. exploring an area without much wildlife and/or npcs gets boring quickly, I want something or someone to interact with, not just wander around. note that I'm not talking about dungeons here, so this may not be related to what you were saying. I didn't care much for the dungeons, so they were neither too many or not enough for me.

I didn't mind the getting around. It was part of the fun for me. Granted, a mount would have been nice.

it wouldn't have been so bad, but the slow walking/running speed and the terrible combat sometimes made it unbearable.

yay for mounts indeed, even though oblivion's were crappy at least they were there :lol:

I didn't mind the fast travel, but I did mind the lack of a more "realistic" fasttravel system like that of morrowind, or just some random encounters that can interrupt your oblivion-style fasttraveling. as a concept though I think it's great. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and I get bored and I want to instantly go to a city, please let me do that. games are for fun, so using or not using fasttravel should be the player's choice.

Boots of blinding speed. Or scrolls of icarian flight. Thats all the fast travel you'll need (along with ships, striders and teleport).

One of the funnest things to do in Morrowind is take a high level character (with maxed Acrobatics and Athletics) and drop all of your stuff. Suddenly you can jump 8 feet in the air, and through force of will alone, fly about till you hit the ground. Its called gliding, with style!

A short note on travelling.

Morrowind had a way to instantly reach places that you haven't yet reached by foot. Oblivion had only a way to instantly reach places that you have already visited.

Now, if you think of it, the first option sounds much more fun-breaking. Doesn't it?
Then why it's not the case actually?

Same with quest involvement (as mentioned above), or storyline immersion (voiced dialogues etc), or combat system, or one of the other topics not yet discussed: ideas behind TESIV sound like an improvement over TESIII, but somehow they happen to lead to ambiguous results.

It would be too simple to just state the lack of holistic approach. It would be a namecalling to presume that chief game designer for TESIV was a bit less dedicated to the game than his ancestor (and I do not even know if they are different persons). But there seems to be a general pattern that refuses to derive from gameplay elements analysis.

Now, as Tarquelne has mentioned, at least for one of the devs TESIV was a game of his dreams. One can not easily refute such an argument and not come down to a 'tastes differ' conclusion. I, for one, can not. So I assume, if some people like TESIII and some like TESIV, then both games have their spirit. Which spirit is 'better' is a stingy question to ask. Time will tell. Yet time already tells me that I can remember the names of ten towns for Vvanderfel and zero for Cyrodiil, believe it or not. If a linear sum of quality game elements could have produced what I stubbornly continue to refer to as 'spirit', the effect would be opposite, I think, since the ideas behind Oblivion game mechanics are acknowledged (by modders!) to be of much greater quality.
But time tells me a different story.

If you try to do everything well, eventually you'll accomplish nothing great.

That's sort of the experience I had with Oblivion. It's a good game and can be pretty interesting, but the lack of clear focus hurts the game, a little bit. Sure, I don't want to be railroaded through every game element. But, I would like to see a bit more focus, especially in certain quest areas. One way to do that is to limit the number of quests you can accept at one time, forcing the player to focus and helping to develop more interest in accomplishing the quests one has. I think Oblivion had a mechanic that did that, though I can't remember it atm.

But, let's say it did... Then what? Problem solved, right? No. The world was pretty big and there were all sorts of places to explore.. Chances are, if you were passing by a quest giver out in the middle of nowhere, you'd want to go ahead and take it right then instead of having to backtrack a few hundred miles after you finished the current quest you were on...

Oblivion became a "interruption after interruption, then another interruption and what was I doing again?" type of thing. With all the choices available, none what you actually accomplished seemed especially significant. It became a "just another quest" game. If loot wasn't good, the scenery was the same dull environment without much "pop" to it, then even going on the quest wasn't something you had a great deal of personal involvement in.

IMO, Oblivion needed a touch more of the "railroad" in it's quest design, to keep story focus and keep the personal involvement of the player high. All the watering down that was done with the free-form environment actually detracted from the pleasure of the game.

But, for a free-form environment, it was outstanding! I do admit that. Unfortunately, that doesn't appeal to everyone. In the end, players want "goals" and conflicts that place themselves in opposition to the player attempting to attain those goals.. with just enough of an edge for the player so they can win... and be happy about it. Oblivion missed that mark a bit.

Good game.. just not a great one.

So next year we got (and whatever I forgot)...

Dragon Age II
The Witcher 2
NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
Star Wars The Old Republic
Shogun II Total War
Duke Nukem Forever
Deus Ex: Human Revelations
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
Diablo III

:crazyeye:

So next year we got (and whatever I forgot)...

Dragon Age II
The Witcher 2
NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
Star Wars The Old Republic
Shogun II Total War
Duke Nukem Forever
Deus Ex: Human Revelations
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
Diablo III

:crazyeye:

Now all I need is for somebody to come out with a technique that gives me the time to play them!

Best wishes,

Breunor

[to_xp]Gekko;10012542 said:
but install FCOM and suddenly you have a world that feels incredibly alive,

Good luck getting FCOM to work, though :lol:

bah, I've got it to work perfectly on my first try. as long as you follow instructions you're fine. you can also go OOO+MMM which is a lot easier, you'll just get less items and creatures but the gameplay will be the same.

If you like Oblivion, go to www.tesnexus.com and download some of the mods there. Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul takes that game and makes it what it should have been to start with and more.

Great mod. I'm looking forward to the mods getting their hands on the next Elder Scrolls game.

you should definitely give ROM - Revised Oblivion Mod a try . it build upon OOO and overhauls pretty much every single aspect of the game. excellent for people that don't want to install a crapload of stuff, as 1 mod only will take care of everything.

Top Bottom