Its Boring

AlanH11

Chieftain
All Civ games - and I've played all 5 - suffer from cretinous AI, and it seems Civ6 is no different, judging from the user reviews I've read (a lot). But now we have a game that has strayed into Disneyland with its colourful, cutesy graphics. Is Mickey Mouse in it? No doubt the Civpedia is littered with 'this xxxx is cool' or 'it's awesome'; such language that might impress teens, but makes me roll my eyes in frustration.
When will the developers stop treating potential customers as though they were kids?
In Civ VII, let's have some intelligent gameplay, meaningful descriptions, and a major turn towards realism.

So you decide to make an acct just to post this complaint? And whine about the graphics while there are many more flaws within the game rn? Looks like you read the wrong reviews.

When will the developers stop treating potential customers as though they were kids?
When potential customers stop behaving as they were kids?!

Unpopular opinion (I assume): I think the art style is fantastic but murders my immersion and enjoyment with a bloody splintery board. As much as they did a great job with it, the style also drags my mind away from the idea of running a nation and conquering the world, and towards playing a complicated board game. A complicated board game against AI who would be better suited to the likes of Candyland.

First time I played 6 I really hated the graphics, I kept playing and got used to them.
I turned off the unit cycling as I could not get used to that.
I stopped playing domination games very early because dominating a duck would be trickier.
Adapt to what you like and have fun, alterativey do not buy the game and have fun doing something else.

But like @DeutschDachs says ... Good for you... Now go have fun

Last edited:
Civ2 for life! :p

Don't worry OP, it's Civ fanatics and there will always be an army of people telling you that your opinion is wrong.

I also dislike Civ 6 graphics.

No one told him he was wrong, we just gave our opinions back.

I can understand if people don't like the art style, that's fine. I like the way it's been done - the icons / world features, buildings and so on. The caricature-like leaders are unusual at first, but when you see them run the whole gamut of emotional states, (such as they are) you can see they're very good. You pick up hints like Tojo having his hand on his sword if he's pissed off at you, Phil huffing and puffing, Victoria's half raised eyebrows. It's quite well done.

As for the dopey AI, yes they do play at vegetable level at the moment, but compare this to Civ 5 and you can see things should improve.

The only thing each of us can do is decide if we were happy with our purchase of Civ 6. Yes or no. I'm in the yes camp.

I'm surprised so many people equate non-realistic art styles with "for children".

I take it you haven't watched Archer, Rick & Morty, Team America World Police and the innumerable other pieces of media with a cartoon or otherwise stylised direction. This includes games like Borderlands, any LEGO game, and so on, and so forth.

I recommend the OP gets a little less set in their ways; wouldn't want people to make "get off of my lawn jokes" :D

Team America F Y!
Southpark takes the simpsons to a lower level but still highly astute.
However I hated southpark when I first saw it because of the graphics. It was only when I watched an episode that I understood. Same with Civ6 although I must say when you look at the in game graphics, their detail is wonderful.
People are allowed an opinion and we have to respect that opinion. However the weight of that opinion is degraded if the OP has not in fact played the game.

Oh, I respect their opinions, I'm just surprised at such a narrow view of the world. I'd estimate stylised games outnumber realistic games simply by dint of the progress of technology; most arcade and / or 2D games of the past aren't realistic at all (and necessarily so).

My big graphics issue with Civ6 (as well as Civ3, Civ4, and Civ5) is customizability. Civ2's strong point in the series, in my opinion, is that, because it's graphics and other aspects are so easy to edit and change compared to other iterations, you can morph the game into amazing shapes that would require a LOT of working, perhaps even be impossible by other iterations. There are Civ2 scenarios and mods that, instead of being set in the standard "world history" setup, are set on Mars, the Moon, in space, underwater, in fantasy worlds, in mythologized history, post-apocalypse worlds, future worlds, and many, many more. I admit, it's core mechanics are very primitive, and there's only three ways to win (conquest, space race, and the point-based "scenario victory " if the scenario victory flag is turned on), resources are painfully simple, and, the AI, who you complain about being "stupid" in Civ6 would be a highly-predictable reactant insect-level intelligence by comparison. Also, MicroProse's additions to Civ2, like the events editor (similar to triggers used in RTS games) and the multi-map feature, which Sid Meier dispensed with when he moved on to Firaxis, add some very intriguing dimensions to custom games like scenarios and mods. These are my personal reasons, and of course, they're matters of taste and opinion like any other.

On the subject of accounts, I did have an account here from years ago, but after numerous house/country moves I've lost the userid and password. Don't get me wrong about my thread; I actually wanted to like Civ6, and I eagerly perused all the reviews and screenshots, hoping for gratification. But sadly, the stylized graphics have gone too far down the cartoon route. It's a personal choice, and I understand that others like it.
I'm a Brit, btw, so on the subject of US tv/films/whatever, I'm clueless.

As for reading the 'wrong' reviews, I have in fact read both gamer/magazine reviews and user reviews. So, is one right and one wrong?
I think I trust the user reviews more than trade reviews, which, might, after all, be compromised.

I will happily carry on playing Civ5.

I just dont understand how people hold such strong opinions about graphics style in a strategy game like Civ. I focus on the planning, managing and nurturing of my civilization. After the second game I've basically stopped noticing the art work and just see "through it" to the information it holds.

Now Civ6 does a pretty poor of conveying that information, but I hardly think poor UI design has much to do with the art style.

Top Bottom