1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's discount time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rah, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:44 PM.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Having just turned 65 I have entered the realm of the Senior Citizen Discount.
    It has made me ponder the whole issue. My monthly train pass dropped to 122 dollars from 211 dollars. My question is why. I make a healthy salary so why should I deserve this.
    It's in place to assist more monetary challenged older folks. Why should age play into it. Shouldn't it be a straight economical judgment? Younger poor people need it more. Why should an expensive ticked eat into the already small paycheck.
    I get a healthy discount when I play GOLF. Like anyone that can afford to play needs that.

I can see it when it's used to drive additional business like at restaurants that are trying to attract the earlier crowd to take tables not being used.

But as a tool to make living more affordable just because you're old. I think the poor deserve this type of attention. Heck, a lot more than me anyway.

What do you think? I know there are other Seniors here.
    Do you take advantage of them. I'll admit that I have been enjoying them and taking advantage wherever possible.

I know I'll be applying for the property tax discount and assessment freeze. Yet there are many younger homeless people.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Left, rah. Guillotines are just down the hall. Initiation is beheading your landlord-class boss.

Josu and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Recently here in Toronto, the public transit service dropped discounted fares for seniors using similar reasoning - as a demographic they tend to be more wealthy than not. They switched to an income based discount system instead of an age based one, and that's how it should be.

Timsup2nothin and rah like this.
  4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Compassion is not exclusive of the left.
    I've spent my life being the boss so there's only so far I'm willing to go, :lol:

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

How many people complained?

Only vestigially related to the topic is that I don't understand why 55+ apartment buildings are somehow legal.

6. civvver

civvver Deity

It's cus seniors typically vote more and are more vocal about that stuff. You really want to cater to them/not piss them off. It's why every political candidate promises to lower their taxes while also increasing their medicare and ss benefits.

You mean the reasoning behind it or that it's factually legal? Cus I looked it up once and it was some specific regulation passed to make it legal. I have no clue why though.

Discrimination against the young is one of the least talked about things out there. So many protections for seniors, very little for young people.

7. aimeeandbeatles

The reasoning. I looked it up once and it said "it's legal because this specific law says it's legal". :dunno:

8. CKS

CKS Deity

When my wife (who is 10 years older than I am) was 50, we got AARP memberships. For a long time when the kids were small, we'd go to Denny's on kids-eat-free night. The kids ate for free and we got a 20% discount on our meals, so the four of us usually ate for less than $10 and sometimes less than $8 (not counting the tip). I felt quite guilty about this for a long time, but still took advantage of it.

At 52 I don't get a lot of age-related discounts, and none of them are really big. Even looking to the future, though, I'd rather see income-based discounts than age-based discounts.

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

So they don't have to put up with young children of course. Not many 55 plus having babies. :lol:

10. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

Do you know how long have senior discounts been around? Could they be from an earlier time when things were different, and just never revisited?

For senior housing areas, I assume that's because of noise levels?

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Seniors can make an effective argument that living among "their own kind" provides genuine benefits that are unrelated to any sort of "because we are the better humans" type discriminatory views. And yes, noise levels are a part of that.

As to senior discounts, they are rooted in the idea that people retiring lose a chunk of their income, and no matter how much income you have losing a chunk of it is uncomfortable. If you look closely at Rah's arguments the thing that gives them most of the validity they have is that Rah hasn't actually retired...yet. Now, we could ask whether it is really a good idea to encourage people, at any age, to become useless drags on society and then reward them for doing so, but that's an entirely different discussion.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Similar, but not the same:
    When I was a PhD student, we sometimes got the student discount, because it officially says “student“.
    But this discount is meant for people who don't earn money, but as a PhD student you earn okay money in this country.
    Kinda feels unethical :/.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

What if we just made prices as low as possible and pay for it with higher taxes on those with higher means? Seems like an easier implementation overall. It's still means testing but only indirectly and not at the point of use.

14. aimeeandbeatles

Not really related but it remind me of two things:

a) Some store tried to stop doing sales and instead decreased prices on everything. It didn't really work.
    b) Some European countries have their fines dependent on income instead of a flat fee.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@rah In NM senior discounts seem to be available at 55 for most things. I tend to ignore them; my wife grabs them all. Generally they amount to 10%.

I think that senior discounts are "old" enough to go back to to a time when being retired and old meant you didn't have much money and they enticed shopping. All of that has changed now. Today seniors are a powerful demographic and generally do have money. We are a targeted demographic not unlike the teens and millennials.

Senior housing is all about lifestyle, medical, transportation and generally reliability as tenants. Old people tend not to make noise, have wild parties, or break things, and they pay their rent on time.

16. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Is that price fixing and restricting profits? Shareholders would not be amused. :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

$2500+ a year to ride mass transit?

ouch... I suppose driving (and parking) make that worth it

18. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I think senior discounts are perfectly justifiable, and I dont begrudge anybody for using them, even wealthy seniors

caketastydelish likes this.
  19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Even cheep parking would be about 3500 a year but probably 25% more. 80 miles round trip wear and tear and gas on top of that.
    Instead its about 7 mile round trip to the station and parking is 850 a year. So the train makes sense, and that's not even considering the environment aspect.

I much preferred when our office was out in the burbs and it was 10 minutes either way.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. aimeeandbeatles

As opposed to chirp parking? :mischief: