1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Babbler, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who would you vote for?

1. Canadian - Conservative Party

9.6%
  2. Canadian - Liberal Party

16.0%
  3. Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

1.1%
  4. Canadian - New Democratic Party

11.7%
  5. Canadian - Green Party

9.6%
  6. Canadian - Other Party/Independent

1.1%
  7. Non-Canadian - Conservative Party

11.7%
  8. Non-Canadian - Liberal Party

7.4%
  9. Non-Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

8.5%
  10. Non-Canadian - New Democratic Party

9.6%
  11. Non-Canadian - Green Party

7.4%
  12. Non-Canadian - Other Party/Independent

6.4%
  1. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Signage is not really a good way to gauge the vote. I've often seen results very different from what signs would indicate.

2. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Signage is a good gauge in Calgary, as Conservatives usually outnumber all the other parties combined. :p

3. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

In calgary, sunrise is a good gauge. If the sun rise, the conservatives will win :p

4. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

And if the sun happens to be Conservative, it will get itself elected

5. Evie

I dunno. That Sun guy provides free energy and heat. He's probably a threat to the tar sands. :p

6. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

And it comes from the east, like those evil librulz

7. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

I'm in a bit of a frustrating situation. On the one hand, the NDP are going to win this riding going away, but that means the Libs have no shot at taking it.

So basically, even if I vote Lib in hopes of voting strategically, it won't make a damn bit of difference.

It seems that the only question left unanswered is whether or not the Cons will get a majority.

8. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Strategic voting is dumb.

There should be a polling blackout period from the date the election is announced, along with preferential voting.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Strategic voting is dumb only when compared to preferential voting. In a FPTP system like we have, it's in no way dumb, not when your candidate can't win a riding.

10. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

If the goal is ultimately to kick the Tories out, or at least limit them to a minority, then the strategic option is to vote for the candidate that is most likely to defeat the Tory candidate in your riding, and in many ridings that is not the Liberals.

If you're like me and live in a riding that the Tories have no chance at taking then you have the luxury of voting with your heart.

Of course, I still don't like strategic voting, it only results in a complacent status quo.

Which is why I strongly favour preferential voting.

11. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

If one party is going to run away with the vote, strategic voting doesn't really make any difference, regardless of your ethical opinion of it. Just vote your conscience and give your vote subsidy to whomever you like best.

12. Evie

(And hope the Tories don't get a majority, since then no subsidies for anyone).

13. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Indeed. God I hope they don't win.

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I really waffle on the voting subsidy.
    The power of donations is pretty strong, since the subsidy is so low. As well, since we limit corporate donation (I think) and limit personal donations (I think), the total pot has an upper limit.

There're some parties, too, that seem to really rely on the subsidy. The Bloc, iirc, would be decimated by losing the subsidy.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

No corporate donations allowed anymore.

I'm not really sure what to think about the voting subsidy either.

16. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

This is a small consolation, I guess. Olivia Chow will win with room to spare, I'll probably end up voting Green, and I get to spend the rest of the night hoping for a Tory minority.

17. Evie

Basically there are three parties, possibly four, that work largely on the subsidy, and one that doesn't.

Which is why I support the subsidy. It's not a money-saving gesture to remove it, it's a naked power-grab, that might (at the very best) end up setting up a US-like two-party system.

In other news, Duceppe is now encouraging Quebecers to "vote usefully" (as in "We can protect Quebec from the conservatives, not the NDP). Here's hoping people take him seriously, but realize that voting usefully imply voting for a genuine federal party.

18. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

19. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

I'm all for doing away with the vote subsidies just because it would eliminate the whole "give your $2 vote-subsidy" reason for voting (vote to have your say and make your riding more competitive FFS) AND ending the political party donation tax credit to eliminate an unnecessary incentive and unfair advantage for higher income voters.

Spoiler :

20. Evie

"Vote to make your riding more competitive" is only an option if you don't live in one of the throngs of ridings which always vote in landslies for this or that party. Which lots of people are.

For people who do live in those ridings, abolishign the voting subsidies amount to telling them "Hey, you know what? Stay home on elections day. Your opinion doesn't matter."

Tell you what, we get semi-proportional representation instead of first past the post and we can abolish subsidies.