1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Babbler, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who would you vote for?

1. Canadian - Conservative Party

9.6%
  2. Canadian - Liberal Party

16.0%
  3. Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

1.1%
  4. Canadian - New Democratic Party

11.7%
  5. Canadian - Green Party

9.6%
  6. Canadian - Other Party/Independent

1.1%
  7. Non-Canadian - Conservative Party

11.7%
  8. Non-Canadian - Liberal Party

7.4%
  9. Non-Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

8.5%
  10. Non-Canadian - New Democratic Party

9.6%
  11. Non-Canadian - Green Party

7.4%
  12. Non-Canadian - Other Party/Independent

6.4%
  1. metatron

metatron unperson

In an effort to make an informed decision in the poll it tried to take that quiz and got this:

Now i have as little insight as before. If this is typical for liberals in Canada you all deserve a hug. :blush:

(I voted "hell, i don't care" on the senate and everything Quebec. With the politicians i just gave Harper a bunch of zeros and went "don't know" the rest of the way.

Guess i'll just pick Green cause that's what i know and that PQ thing looks fishy.

It's much less about the system than about you having only two viable parties. Not being able to dissolve parliament works way better if one never has a hung parliament...

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The $2 subsidy does get people out to vote. I've seen it myself. Economically, it's probably more expensive to go vote than it would be to mail $2 to the party ... but ehn, people are weird.

I like the donation subsidy, though. It's a strong incentive to give $400.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

If you think any of the parties are deserving of your $400.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This is the situation I'm in. The parties of my choice have a snowball's chance on the Sun of winning here, but I vote anyway. For one thing, it's a citizen's duty (in my opinion). For another, I can't afford to donate (and once you give even a penny, the party fundraisers will keep you on their lists forever), and this is my small way of making sure my preferred party gets something.

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I think they do. Plus, with the tax return, it's only ... $60, I think.

6. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

Diluting the vote share of the dominant party, assuming the individual supports someone other than said dominant party, does not contribute to making the riding more competitive how?

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Diluting the vote share of the dominant party is 1) A joke and 2) A joke. In our system, there is exactly zero reason to care whether a party win by 8000 or 12 000 voice, and the only reason you should care if they win by fewer votes is because then you're in a competitive riding which might actually change hand.

We don't live in a system where parties and such have legitimacy based on how much vote they get. We live in a system where there is one winner, no matter by how much, and only the winner matters.

Making the riding more competitive is empty talk unless there is a reasonable possibility that the riding may actually BE competitive (eg, that two or more parties could take it)

8. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

Okay, so +1 vote towards narrowing the gap between the two closest competitors is a joke whereas a measly $2 vote subsidy is a far, far more superior reason to vote. Gotcha.

9. Evie

The 2$ is an actual tangible result. It's a minuscule result, yes, but it's a result. The +1 vote changes one perfectly meaningless number for another equally meaningless number, because at the end of the day the number of votes you get or don't get absolutely doesn't matter so long as you get more than anyone else.

It shouldn't be that way, but it's the way it is. Trying to pretend it's otherwise doesn't help the system one bit.

10. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

Elections only consider aggregates. Which is worth more, +8000 votes towards narrowing the gap or a $16,000 vote subsidy that the party receives?

11. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

12. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

To be fair, that's exactly what he's been saying since the very beginning. He's not going to form a coalition, but if the GG asks him to govern, he'll do his job.

13. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

Exactly. It's why I said that just because he ruled out a coalition never meant that he could not become Prime Minister. Canada has a Westminister Parliament but Canadians are notoriously ignorant of how their Parliament works.

14. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Considering the current GG was appointed by Harper, what are the chances he would go along with what Ignatieff is suggesting could happen?

15. Evie

Unless the gap is less than 8000 votes? The 16 000$. Easily, and by any method of counting.

8000 votes are only meaningful if they win you the riding. Otherwise, they are empty votes. 16 000 $ isn't much, but at least it always mean something.

16. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

I don't know why you value the $16,000 more than 8,000 votes. $16,000 for 8,000 votes is pretty damn cheap.

8,000 is just an arbitrary number I took from the example you have of someone winning by that many votes majority, btw.

17. Evie

The point is that the votes are only worth more if you get enough votes to win the riding. If you don't get enough votes to win the riding, or if you already have enough votes to win the riding, it doesn't matter what number you get.

Whereas a 2$, even if it will matter very little, will still matter whether or not you win the riding.

18. Babbler

Babbler Deity

19. Evie

Gentlemen of the Bloc..you may now press the panic button (liberals, too). Which Duceppe has already been doing the past week, to be fair.

Quebec voting intents
    Liberals - 13%
    Conservative - 17%
    Bloc Québécois - 31%
    New Dems - 36%

Also, the same results show NDP support solidifying (77% of people are "sure" of their vote, vs 75% for the bloc, 77% for the conservative), and 38% of Quebecers feel Jack would be the best prime minister (vs 11% for Stephen and 8% for Iggy).

It's starting to look like this is no random blip on the radar.

20. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I always imagined Layton would panic if he actually had to form a government.