1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Babbler, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who would you vote for?

1. Canadian - Conservative Party

9.6%
  2. Canadian - Liberal Party

16.0%
  3. Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

1.1%
  4. Canadian - New Democratic Party

11.7%
  5. Canadian - Green Party

9.6%
  6. Canadian - Other Party/Independent

1.1%
  7. Non-Canadian - Conservative Party

11.7%
  8. Non-Canadian - Liberal Party

7.4%
  9. Non-Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

8.5%
  10. Non-Canadian - New Democratic Party

9.6%
  11. Non-Canadian - Green Party

7.4%
  12. Non-Canadian - Other Party/Independent

6.4%
  1. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

On the off chance that you're being serious, we really do need some military equipment, but I think our needs are mostly restricted to policing actions. We need a good long range, all-weather aircraft, mostly for keeping an eye on the arctic. Though that could just as easily, and likely should be, a reconnaissance force of UAVs, with a smaller core of fast response aircraft, both conventional fixed wing and helicopters. And likely a much increased naval presence in the area as well. It's going to be a big deal in about 20 years time, and we need the occupational presence to enforce our ownership of the True North, Strong and Free, etc :p

Personally, I predict a number of instances of trapped ships in the NW Passage, and it will fall to us to pull their rear end out of our metaphorical fire that they thought they could just run through.

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

We only have a few air bases in Canada, and the largest is in Alberta and another major one is here on the coast of BC, we definitely need long range all weather air craft.

However, I don't think we should open the north west passage to heavy use.

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I don't really care what you think you need (I'm all for getting the intermediary steps out of the way and simply having the US DoD do procurement for you people, but that's neither here nor there); I was confused as to why the F-35 is considered to be purely a "first strike" weapon.

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

It's a semi-stealth air-superiority fighter. We could probably use a squadron of those. Beyond that, we need ground-attack fighters. Yes, there's an app F-35 for that, but at the price, that's an expensive ground-attack fighter.

5. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

We may not have much of a choice. Lots of countries (starting with, you know our beloved southern neighbors) aren't willing to recognize our claims to the waters there as territorial waters, so our ability to close them.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Most Canadian conservatives are from Alberta, where there is no internet yet.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Ontario and Quebec have the worst internet in Canada, the Maritimes and the west both have generally better options.

8. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Unless you're like me and live right across the street from the phone company, then your DSL service flies. :D

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

If you want to be able to claim sovereignty over an area, you have to be able to enforce that claim. Which means having a military.

Post a speedtest.net screen shot. 20 bucks says your speed isn't half what you can get in Nova Scotia.

10. GP850mAh

GP850mAh Chieftain

If I could vote (I'm not canadian) I would probably vote for the Conservative's since I consider myself to be centre-right on the political scale. Although I'm a bit sceptical of Stephen Harper.

11. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

The center right party in Canada is the Liberals really.

12. Maniacal

I'd assume the territories would have the worst internet.

I have a HUGE problem with people voting for a party because they [the party] claims or is reported as being on X position of the political spectrum. One should take a look at how the party actually operates (in the cons case its been very dishonestly and what their real goals seem to be contrary to a lot of the progress Canada has made in the last decades) and what their platform is. The Liberal party of Canada is not left-wing either despite the name.

Another major issue I have is that while I do not know the extent, but it seems like many religious (probably christian for the most part) people vote for the conservatives because they are "more conservative or christian" or something, yet its not like the other parties are anti-religious in any way, shape or form. Its not like the cons are some kind of church guardians and the Liberals, Greens and NDP are the devil's minions hell bent on destroying religious values. tl;dr it seems if someone is christian (especially more 'strongly') they will vote conservatives regardless of their motives and dishonesty.

13. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Youre thinking of suicide rates

14. GP850mAh

GP850mAh Chieftain

I thought the Liberals were closer to the centre or centre-left. The Conservatives are definitly centre-right.

15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I don't think the Liberals are 'center-right'. Nationalised daycare is a major plank of theirs (or has been). Conservatives are much more 'center right'.

This is my main argument for supporting the seal hunt.
    The seal hunt allows us to have citizens along those coasts, which means that we own/control those coasts.
    This boosts our claim to those disputed waters, preventing them from falling into 'International' status.
    This means that our environmental restrictions on those waters are more likely to be obeyed.

The world would treat those waters like they do the rest of the Commons if we don't claim them. And, I think that would be worse for the seals.

16. Maniacal

The cons are far right while the Liberals are to the right of the center (center right). NDP are aronud center and the Green is on the left (although only the Marxis-Leninist and Communist Parties of Canada are far on the left and they aren't important parties that will ever get elected).

17. GP850mAh

GP850mAh Chieftain

I'll have to disagree with you there, the Conservatives call themselves centre-right to right. When I hear "far-right" I usually start thinking of nationalist brownshirt's and Hitler-supporters and I believe many others are thinking that way.

18. Maniacal

"Far right" compared to the other major parties in Canada, otherwise "centre-right to right" is pretty much what I was saying/meaning. EDIT: I agree.

19. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

I think the modern conservative party can easily be considered well right of centre. Prior to the 2003 merger, the viable Conservative movement within this country would have been easily categorized as centre-right. They are way past that now, however.

20. Maniacal

They aren't particularly conservative either, it has never sat well with me that a party named "Conservative" has shown absolutely no desire to conserve the environment.