1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Babbler, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who would you vote for?

1. Canadian - Conservative Party

9.6%
  2. Canadian - Liberal Party

16.0%
  3. Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

1.1%
  4. Canadian - New Democratic Party

11.7%
  5. Canadian - Green Party

9.6%
  6. Canadian - Other Party/Independent

1.1%
  7. Non-Canadian - Conservative Party

11.7%
  8. Non-Canadian - Liberal Party

7.4%
  9. Non-Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

8.5%
  10. Non-Canadian - New Democratic Party

9.6%
  11. Non-Canadian - Green Party

7.4%
  12. Non-Canadian - Other Party/Independent

6.4%
  1. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Whats their stance on truth in advertising?

2. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Obviously, every single party wants to grab a piece of that "center" tag. Screw that, the truth is that the Conservatives are not center at all. The Liberals are quite firmly in the center right. The NDP being a center left? Eh, I'll let that pass, I'd say they are actually a little too far away to comfortably claim "center". I have this weird feeling they are actually a little more left-winged than the Greens themselves.

3. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Well of the three Alberta posters I can think of, me, History_Buff, and Valka, we are all fairly anti-Conservative, so yes, this place is somewhat atypical. :p

4. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

How is a pro-marijuana, pro-gay marriage, pro-national healthcare, pro-abortion party centre-right in your mind? Not flaming, just curious as to why the Libs strike you as centre-right?

They may not be as fiscally liberal as the NDP, but they seem pretty centre-left in my mind, with the Greens and NDP even further left.

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Thats where they get placed by the media and public perception it seems, I don't know or care why they are labeled that way. Also they aren't "pro-abortion" they are pro-choice, there's a difference.

6. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

You're right about the distinction between pro-choice and pro-abortion. That's my error.

Parties are labelled according to the legislation they pass and the policies they support. Right wing parties don't typically propose or vote for legislation that is socially liberal, whereas the Liberals have consistantly done just that.

You may not like the Libs, which is cool, but describing them as centre-right is inaccurate. At least in my opinion, anyway.

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Parties are labelled also according to the country and political environment they're in.

When even the people who are against gay marriage, abortion, etc, have to actively promise not to touch these issues (as Stephen Harper has done) to stand a chance to get a (majority) government, supporting them is not a good measure of right or left wing positions.

Fundamentally the (current) liberals are, well, liberals. That is economic liberals (favor fiscal responsibility - they're the one who balanced the budget and gave Canada the surplus to slash taxes, privatised many national companies, etc), and social liberals (eg, favor respecting the Constitutional freedoms* over moral laws). The end result being pretty much a center party, which can vary from center-left (as under Dion) to Center-Right (under Chrétien and now).

However, the idea of the NDP as a Center or Center-left party is laughable. IN the current environment, they're a firm left-wing party, with the Conservatives being an equally firm right-wing.

*Not including Right to bear arms which the Constitution of Canada does not include.

8. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Because these are all reasonable positions that should be held by all parties, regardless of their location on the political scale.

9. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

The point is, in recent history, right wing parties (including Canadian ones) have actively opposed those positions while left wing ones have supported them.

In my mind, the Liberals voting history and policies place them on the centre-left in relation to our contemporary moral and cultural values.

Anyway, the important thing is to vote for the guys who want to do the things you like, and hope like hell they stick to their promises.

10. Evie

Maybe the contemporary moral and cultural values of Alberta.

Again: Harper has to promise not to touch gay marriage/abortion/etc in order to even have a glimmer of a chance of a majority. That would seem to indicate a pretty center-ish position in Canadian politics.

Non-Canadian parties are not relevant to this discussion because they represent the political spectrum of other nations.

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

You get these speeds on torrents?

12. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

There's an old adage that I think settles this point:

The Liberals campaign from the left and govern from the right... while the Tories campaign from the right and govern from Washington.

13. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Love it :D

14. Renner

Renner Warlord

Pro Nova Scotia broadband right thar!

15. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Get what you pay for.

16. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

17. Evie

To be fair, that riding is already conservative, Simon ;-)

18. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Just a little afraid to see the phenomenon spreading.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Thanks a lot for this, very helpful :goodjob:

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

"This riding has been represented by the Reform Party or the Alliance/Conservatives since 1945. It was once held by Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper as a Reform Party member (93-97).

Conservative stronghold. Vote your preference."

So I guess I vote Liberal, for having the least bad digital economy strategy?