1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Babbler, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who would you vote for?

1. Canadian - Conservative Party

9.6%
  2. Canadian - Liberal Party

16.0%
  3. Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

1.1%
  4. Canadian - New Democratic Party

11.7%
  5. Canadian - Green Party

9.6%
  6. Canadian - Other Party/Independent

1.1%
  7. Non-Canadian - Conservative Party

11.7%
  8. Non-Canadian - Liberal Party

7.4%
  9. Non-Canadian - Bloc Quebecois

8.5%
  10. Non-Canadian - New Democratic Party

9.6%
  11. Non-Canadian - Green Party

7.4%
  12. Non-Canadian - Other Party/Independent

6.4%
  1. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

It won't matter all that much if high profile ex-Bloc MPs run provincially, as this election has shown that name recognition isn't as important as something like the personal appeal of a party leader. Which, given, a hard-line separatist like Marois at the helm of the PQ, they won't do much better than Charest. Duceppe should replace Marois if the PQ wanted a no-contest victory.

In any case, 75% of Quebecers have shown themselves open to federalist alternatives, so maybe we'll see Quebec Solidaire or even the ADQ make some big gains come the next provincial election.. :think:

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Man, I always thought that the PQ and the BQ were the same party :lol: Shows you how much I know.

3. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

It can matter a lot. Many of the Bloc people are figures we see on TV all the time. This is personal appeal even if they aren't the leader. And yeah, Duceppe replacing Marois would create the zone where anything goes. But Marois just won a huge confidence vote in her party at the last convention, I can hear many soveignists at the PQ regretting their decision. If they had known Duceppe was going to be available within one month...

Quebec Solidaire is also a sovereignist party.

4. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

I honestly can't think of any other Bloquistes besides Duceppe. A lot, I don't know, but it was certainly not enough for them to be re-elected. Many of the Dippers won by comfortable margins, and many of them were also relative nobodies. Absolutely astonishing that someone like Brosseau, a bunch of McGill students, etc. won handily.

5. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Now I take offense at the idea that this is a relevant qualification (as I don't have one myself). Well, depending on the riding, at least - in urban or even inner suburbs ridings, this is hardly much of an obstacle. Outside that, maybe a little more, but even then.

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

What is a CA?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...dents-museum-guides-meet-the-new-ndp-mps?bn=1

It will be quite interesting to see how well they do.

7. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

What make you think that Duceppe is a less hard-line separatist than Marois?

Also, I'm not sure that 75% are open to a new federalist alternative. Many independantists have never voted for the Bloc, saying that this was a provincial matter and, while we're in Canada, we may as well send MP that can have a legitimate shot a power.

There is many "hard-line separatists", as you put it, who voted NPD. I also know for a fact that some of the new NPD MP are for independance. Many are expecting the NPD to represent Quebec's demands at Ottawa.

As SimonL said, Quebec Solidaire is an independantist party too. They're left wing, like the NPD but they're also a bit too much on the fringe right now. They still have a communist wing for example. Quebecois are also prone to give something each time they give a blow to independantists. When we vote NO in 1980 and 1995, we gave the PQ a big majority on the following election. I'm expecting the PQ, strengthens by the remnant of the BQ, to do really well next election.

The Bloc was first created by discontend member of the Conservative party. Over the years, it was common for member of the PQ and BQ to change place. They, after all, defend the same idea. The only question for an independantist was if he could defend that idea better at Quebec City or at Ottawa.

8. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

I don't recall Duceppe supporting the idea of broadening Bill 101 to cover CEGEPS or making the 3rd referendum on secession his first and foremost priority ahead of issues like the economy, healthcare or education. Maybe he does, I don't know, in which case there will be many looking for alternatives.

A hard-line separatist is someone who is dead-set on secession, nevermind trying to make Canada work as a bilingual perhaps decentralized federation, without regard to the resulting clusterf|ck secession would entail.

Moderator Action: How about using more suitable and less infractable words?
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Seeing as the only real difference between the Bloc and the NDP is the whole secession issue, I for one am glad there are many who chose to put it on the backburner even if right now it's only at the federal level. They are not hard-liners like Marois so much as they are soft-nationalists, who will most likely be looking for an alternative. ;)

9. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

All provincial territories. Duceppe was a federal politician.

10. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

It begins.

:popcorn:

11. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

*facepalms*

(The NDP has dissociated itself from the comment about as quickly as it can, but still)

12. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Well, those opposed to Harper just have to keep the fight going. There are parts of his policies that I remain very strongly against, and I will not placidly accept them if he starts to roll them out.

13. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I heard Mulcair on Radio this morning explaining his words. He knew it didn't look good and I had to leave the car as he was talking but I'm pretty sure he re-explained his wording better. But in modern media, news are made of 5 seconds sound bits and gross exagerations; so damage's done.

14. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

And the Canadian Left continues towards a slow, painful, silent death.

15. negZero

negZero Emperor

So what if NDP deputy leader doesn't believe the US has photos of Bin Laden body? We've elected crazier people to be Prime Minister then this.

16. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Like some that think creationists are good science and industry ministers.

17. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

^ I'm looking forward to hearing those MPs speak, too, now that they're no longer muzzled. Parliamentary circus, here we come!

He was given the opportunity to clarify himself on that show he was on. It wasn't an exaggeration, and it wasn't 5-second soundbite so much as it was a stunning 2-minute discussion..

18. negZero

negZero Emperor

Or the one that communed with spirits. Or the one corrupt drunken founding father of ours. Or the one that chokes protesters out.

19. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

It was a 2 minutes discussion that was summed up with a 5-second soundbit or a one-line quote by the media. But yeah, he still said pretty much that.

I'd hang out with all these guys, except the one who thinks creationists and science go together very well.

20. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

An accurate summary, no less.