It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
I was reading about MP Vic Toews, and I made this.

Spoiler :

Or the one that communed with spirits. Or the one corrupt drunken founding father of ours. Or the one that chokes protesters out.

Oh come now, Chrétien was awesome.

The Shawinigan handshake... my sister claims she was in the crowd that day.

EDIT: Was Mulcair saying he didn't think the US had killed bin Laden, or that he didn't think they took a picture of him after he was killed?

Oh come now, Chrétien was awesome.

Awesome, yes. Crazy, yes. Lets met halfway here and just say he was crazy awesome. John A. Macdonald was also pretty awesome.

EDIT: Was Mulcair saying he didn't think the US had killed bin Laden, or that he didn't think they took a picture of him after he was killed?
The first one is contemptible and the second one is merely ridiculous. :dunno:

The latter is what he said, although it was a little confusingly-worded. I'd lean towards the 'exhausted' explanation for his silliness.

With the current policies of the various parties, I likely would have switched my vote from Liberal to Conservative if I thought the NDP had a chance of winning.

It seems like a lot of people did this. What NDP policies are you against? I don't know too much about their platform..

The only complaint I've heard is that Jack Layton's economic plan is apparently to costly. I also recall hearing a conservative ad on CBC that said something about Layton spending like a drunken sailor. I'm not sure of those were the exact words but I almost missed the road I was going to turn onto because I was laughing so hard.

I find the whole "the other parties want to spend a lot of money on stuff we can't afford" accusations by the conservatives hilarious given that one of the things they want to do is spend billions of dollars on super expensive american stealth fighter planes.. not to mention all the subsidies they want to give to big business..

I understand that my original post here could be construed as 'trolling'. Allow me to offer a rationale for my actions.

I thought it was a satirical commentary on the CPC. I've done quite a lot of reading into the Canadian government of the past years, and it's... frightening, to say the least, how far the Conservatives have eroded parliamentary democracy in their home country. The Prime Minister has accrued considerable personal power, forcing his MPs to recite scripted responses to questions and firing anyone who doesn't tow the party line; he plans to cut vote subsidies to effectively bankrupt the opposition; twice he prorogued Parliament to avoid a no-confidence vote; Canadians who ran into legal trouble overseas had to fight to get the government to respond; they've repeatedly fought or obstructed access-to-information requests, and the Speaker of the House found the Tories in contempt of Parliament for failing to disclose cost figures for their "tough on crime" agenda; and a Canadian colleague of mine living near a military base told me the army had been instructed to vote Conservative.

I apologize to whomever's sensibilities I might have upset, but I find the parallels to dictatorship cannot be ignored. Communisto's post above mine "strong government! Stability!" has been a staple justification for autocratic régimes since God knows how long, and constituted the key tenet of a Tory election campaign based on fearmongering; I was building upon that sentiment with what seemed like an apt simile. My intent certainly wasn't to troll anyone; I was merely expressing my indignation over the authoritarian characteristics of the CPC.

Again, my apologies for any emotional provocation that may have resulted.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you should really check out the Vote Compass results that are now up: http://votecompass.ca/

The map of Canada has some issue, since it's relative, and the cities are so small you can't see them, but it's pretty interesting to look at.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you should really check out the Vote Compass results that are now up: http://votecompass.ca/

The map of Canada has some issue, since it's relative, and the cities are so small you can't see them, but it's pretty interesting to look at.

Cool maps, but they could have at least.. not filled in Hudson Bay.. Looks soo wrong :lol:

Top Bottom