It's Money that Matters

Chinese American

Hamtastic Knight
This game is one of the scenarios called "It's Money that Matters" (on DS). Every civ starts with 1000 gold and capital already established. However, the AI doesn't know how to exploit all that gold, so this scenario turns out to be very easy for the human. My original goal was to win by culture, but who can resist pounding the AI.

All 5 civs were cramped on a puny continent. I (Aztec) was in the center, 3 (American, Zulu, Japan) were on tiny peninsulas, and the French to my left had some decent amount of room to expand.

The closest was Americans to my right. I blocked off the peninsula by building a city on the isthmus and he didn't establish a second city. My city had no food though, but two forests, so it's only purpose was to crank out units. Took my time to research bronze working and horsemanship. Then pounced him with horseman army. He managed to build a few archer armies, but they were no match. My warrior army created a Great General as a result of this battle. And got about 1600 gold from pillaging Washington. So apparently Abe never spent a dime and built up interest. OTOH I've just about spent it all on rushing settlers and temples and even wonders, and now my treasury is full again. Thanks!

Next was Japanese, who also had a slow start. They got their second and third cities only after I captured Washington. I built a city close to them so I can build roads and speed up my army. One elite horseman army, one elite warrior army, one fresh catapult army, and a few spies were all that was needed to take down Tokyo and two towns. Tokyo now brought in the gold and one town churned out units.

While I was warring with Americans and Japanese, I tried to stave off the French. While I was busy with the Japanese to the south, Napoleon managed to take one of my cities to the west. However, I took it back and the French called peace for a few turns, so that was fine with me. I thought since they had some time alone, that they would have built a considerable empire. However, it turned out they had only three cities, including their capital. Waiting for the remaining turns of peace to subside, I got Feudalism and built knights and more spies. All the while, my more productive cities were building great wonders and generating science like crazy.

Once the truce was over, it was downhill for them. I took their nearest city, which was connected by road to their capital. Soon I stormed Versailles with the help of Spy Ring and new Knight recruits. Finished off the French by taking their third city.

The remaining civ were the Zulus. They were more advanced than the French and had a decent navy (they had a couple of battleships). As I was taking down the French, I quickly researched Gunpowder, Metallurgy, and Combustion in time for Leonardo's Workshop. Overnight, my elite Ninja Lightning Indefatigable Warrior army with a general, Ninja Scout Horsemen, and Knights became super Tank armies, catapult became Cannons and archers to Riflemen.

I was at Zulus gate and it went something like this
Me: Knock knock
Defenders: (stuttering) who's there?
Me: The Aztecs, your worst nightmare!!

Top Bottom