It's Out!

GenghisJohn

Chieftain
FYI

Downloading now on my mac. I already bought the PC version through Steam, and when I launched steam on my mac, Civ V popped up as owned already and the install prompt was there.

Mine is downloading right now too!

I already bought mine for Windows in Boot Camp and bought the one on Game Agent today. I didn't read that you didn't have to pay for it twice until just now...

Oh well, Civ is the only game I play, so I don't mind :)

Will it be in stores today (23rd), since it's SteamPlay does this mean I get the PC version too?

Just downloaded and fired it up.. Unfortunately, when trying to play fullscreen on my 27" iMac i5 in 2560x1440, the right 5th (or so) of the map is grey. I've tried all different settings but only dropping the resolution down to 1920x1080 brings the full map back.

Anyone know of a fix?

Just downloaded and fired it up.. Unfortunately, when trying to play fullscreen on my 27" iMac i5 in 2560x1440, the right 5th (or so) of the map is grey. I've tried all different settings but only dropping the resolution down to 1920x1080 brings the full map back.

Anyone know of a fix?

Yes we know about that one. It's flagged as a "legacy issue", meaning that it also occurs on the PC version.

Yes we know about that one. It's flagged as a "legacy issue", meaning that it also occurs on the PC version.

Ok, thanks Rick. What's really weird is that this doesn't happen to me on this machine in Windows 7 under Bootcamp. I hate the fact that I still have to boot into windows if I want to enjoy the higher resolution. Oh well, here's hoping for a fix soon.

Al

Ok, thanks Rick. What's really weird is that this doesn't happen to me on this machine in Windows 7 under Bootcamp. I hate the fact that I still have to boot into windows if I want to enjoy the higher resolution. Oh well, here's hoping for a fix soon.

Al

The exact description I have for this is that it occurs "When launching the game in Direct X 9 in the same resolution" so on Windows 7 you're probably running the Direct X 11 version. Also remember this isn't the latest PC code, so it may be fixed in the latest patch, I don't think we've regressed this particular bug yet.

The exact description I have for this is that it occurs "When launching the game in Direct X 9 in the same resolution" so on Windows 7 you're probably running the Direct X 11 version. Also remember this isn't the latest PC code, so it may be fixed in the latest patch, I don't think we've regressed this particular bug yet.

Yep, you're right, on Windows 7 I'm running DX11. Thanks for the quick response Rick, much appreciated!! Good luck with the launch! :)

Yep, you're right, on Windows 7 I'm running DX11. Thanks for the quick response Rick, much appreciated!! Good luck with the launch! :)

Yeah I just happen to be up right now, so I figured I would drop in and see what's up. :) Yeah in a case like this, we'll probably wait to see if it gets fixed in the PC code and then try to fix it ourselves if we have to since this is fairly common configuration.

Yeah I just happen to be up right now, so I figured I would drop in and see what's up. :) Yeah in a case like this, we'll probably wait to see if it gets fixed in the PC code and then try to fix it ourselves if we have to since this is fairly common configuration.

Rick, one more question. My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 512 MB VRAM, yet I can't select MSAA in the Display settings, the options are grayed out. Any ideas or is this expected?

Thanks, Al

So, i finally got the Steam download of Civ5 and got it downloaded and installed - very exciting.

Except, all i get is a loading screen followed by some window resizing and then an immediate crash - Every time i try to start the game.

(I tried switching the toggle for ShowIntroVideo, but that had no effect.)

Anyone else having trouble getting the game to load at all? Anyone solved this problem?

P.S. - Aspyr's support site won't even let me open a ticket as Civ5 isn't even listed as a product yet in their dropdown! 2K's support people tell me to talk to Aspyr. Very frustrating.

My system configs are as follows:

Model: MacBookPro4,1, BootROM MBP41.00C1.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB
Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, spdisplays_pcie_device, 512 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
Bluetooth: Version 2.1.9f10, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00, 232.89 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MAThorsehockyADVD-R UJ-875

I have the exact same problem as @ tgallien. Man I was so exited, but this really frustrates me since this is the first time I use Steam and I was really tentative about using it. This really is a disappointment.

Could I request that something be put into the News Update section about this release? I was aware that it would be happening some time, but was unaware that it was now released, until I happened to stumble by here. Thanks in advance.

Also, given I've bought a Windows version of Civ5, but am yet to acquire Windows itself, is it still possible to register the game (hasn't been delivered yet, but I anticipate it will be before I get Windows) and download the Mac version without actually having the capacity to play the Windows version?

I'm also having the same startup issues as Rikkid6 and tgallien. I'm on an mbp and 10.5.8 - I've seen a few hints here and there, but nothing conclusive/official, that Civ V requires Snow Leopard, which could be why it crashes on startup. Are you (Rikkid6 and tgallien) using 10.5 or 10.6?

And btw., I have no problems running Civ V in Bootcamp, but would much prefer to be in OSX!

Cheers...

edit : Ok then, I see GenghisJohn is in 10.6, so it's not exclusively 10.5 which is acting up!

I also have to say the game immediately crashes out on load for me too. I have a 2008 15" macbook pro. I have a NVIDIA geforce9600M GT 256MB graphics card. OSX 10.6.5

However when I switch to the integrated 9400M graphics (in the energy saver panel) the game boots up fine, but most of the graphics settings are maxed out at low, and it's not very pretty.

Can anyone else confirm that CIV V mac works with their MacBookPro built in graphics card only?

Glad I still have the PC version!

Well I have mine up and running, MB Pro 2.26 GHz C2Duo (slightly below min spec.), 9400M video card with 256MB.

Feels slightly slower than Win7 but it's playable, probably to do with better drivers on the Windows side.

Top Bottom