1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Out!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by GenghisJohn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'm not a fan of Steam, so not sure exactly what the statement implies, hence my desire for further clarity.

2. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

I have the PC version and was able to download the Mac version today. It seems sluggish, but the video card on this rig sucks. I'll know better once I get it on my laptop where I have run CivV a fair amount in bootcamp.

3. autumnmist

autumnmist Chieftain

Downloaded it from Steam last night (courtesy of the decision to support SteamPlay). Performance is definitely worse on my MBP (15", core i5, Nvidia G330M) than on my Windows HTPC/gaming machine I was using before. All the settings are maxed out at low/disabled and panning still slow and jerky and the overlays are incredibly pixelated (as a result of running with low quality). I'm going to be optimistic and assume that this is a result of issues with 10.6.5 and not the actual expected performance.

4. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Warlord

It means that if you have the PC version obtained from amazon/steam/whatever, you also have the mac version. Just download the Mac Steam client, and it'll show up in your Mac games list.

5. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Thanks! I was worried about how I was going to talk my wife into buying a game I already owned. Looks like I don't have too! :D

6. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

Installed my mac version this morning on my MBP 2.8 Core 2 Duo/8gb ram/9600M 512M (i've had the PC version in boot camp with windows 7 for a couple months now) and while it's a bit more sluggish I can say that 65 turns without a crash is a BIG PLUS!

7. josemendes7

josemendes7 Chieftain

@Aoxomoxoa Are you running the game with the energy settings for better performance or better battery life? 'Cos I have a MBP exactly like yours and I can't run the game unless I use better battery life (using only the integrated 9400, that is).

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Sad part is I'm already in the US.:sad:

9. scarfhead

scarfhead Chieftain

Anyone know if you get the PC version when you purchase the Mac version on Steam? I assume it works both ways?

10. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Yes. You do.

11. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

No, I'm using the 'better performance' mode with the 9600. I'm running in a 1920x1200(?) window on a 30 cinema display with everything on low except shaders which are off. Turn 110 getting pretty sluggish but still no crashes.

Boy I forgot what major suckage puppets were pre-patch. Here come the worthless barracks/armories etc.

12. rickb

rickb Warlord

An important reminder, please direct all of your support issues to http://support.aspyr.com I'm just in here in a completely unofficial capacity and will be going back into my dev cave to get some real work done! :)

13. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

It's D/Ling on my wife's iMac right now, but I'm assuming a 2010-vintage model with a 3.06 Ghz Core2Duo should be more than okay.

She's a stickler for software updates so should be on the latest OS.

(The fun will come when I realize it runs better on the Mac than on my under-spec-but-still-works-fine PC.)

14. Jarbo

Jarbo Chieftain

Well, halfway through my first game, all I can say is hats off Aspyr. It runs fine on my 2007 1st gen. aluminum iMac, which appears to be the model the minimum specs describe. I have the graphics at about medium across the board. I do notice a little draw in delay here and there when scrolling around but nothing that ruins the experience. Will have to see how it gets later in the game when the system is really taxed.

I got the game a few weeks ago for my new HP Envy laptop which is much more powerful (i7 core, 6 gb memory, decent ATI graphics chip) but it runs and looks like garbage with artifacts and tears and it crashes constantly, even after updating all drivers, reinstalling, etc. I haven't gotten past 100 turns. It will probably get better with patches and new drivers, but it's unplayable now.

So go celebrate this week rickb and Aspyr for a successful launch (as far as I and other minimum specs folks are concerned, I know others have problems unfortunately).

And then come back after Thanksgiving and get those patches out ASAP. My stupid puppets are making me angry. :c5puppet::c5angry:

Also, when can we expect our free Mongols?

15. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

I'm also wondering if you get the PC version via Steam when you buy the boxed Mac version. The struggle to download the PC demo was so excruciating that I don't want to download anything of that size again (unless the distribution method is BitTorrent, which works just fine on huge files.)

The PC demo was completely unplayable on my MBP with VMWare Fusion (2.8GHz, 4G, 9600M) but I do someday plan to install Boot Camp on this machine, so if I *have* to buy the download to get both versions I guess I'll spend a day at the Apple store, which has ridiculous amounts of bandwidth. I wonder how well the game is selling--it's hard to know how many people *haven't* bought it because of the absurd HW requirements.

(I actually didn't buy Civ 4 for Mac because Civ 3 ran so poorly I bought a cheap PC instead. I hope that porting techniques have gotten better in the intervening years.)

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>

16. Rikkid6

Rikkid6 Chieftain

I just got an email back from the Aspyre tech support and they said that: I don't meet the specs

theyr mail, min spec:

Minimum System Requirements
    Operating System: 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
    CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
    CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
    Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
    Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8600
    Video Memory (VRam): 256MB
    Media Required: DVD-ROM
    Peripherals: Macintosh mouse & keyboard
    ------------------------
    so according to them you must have a 10.6... BOUGUS crap... imo, but that is what they replyed.

17. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Apple no longer support Leopard (with the exception of security fixes) so why should Aspyr be expected to? 3D games rely on graphics drivers, Leopard's haven't been updated since Snow Leopard came out and indeed they never will be.

18. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Get 10.6, Civ V probably uses GCD
    Get 10.6, Civ V probably uses GCD
    it's close

Rikkid6, Leopard is in Legacy mode, basically security updates, but not drivers. Make the switch it runs better (the Aspyr port probably uses GCD which came with Snow Leopard)

19. aznin

aznin Chieftain

Since I saw at least one Aspyr person in this thread, I just want to hop in and say that it's absolutely lovely that Mac users can DL the game for free if they have the PC version. I'm just about to make the switch from PC to Mac, and one of the things that was annoying me the most was the fact that I'd just bought the PC Civ 5 a few weeks back. I'm going to make it a point to buy another game by you guys once I have my Mac. (I don't know if this is a Steam policy or an Aspyr policy, but regardless, I'm very thrilled about this.:) )

20. uncletoby

uncletoby Chieftain

I have a 15" MBP i7 8 gb RAM with a SSD boot drive. I've been playing Civ5 on bootcamp since release.

Now I've been playing it on OSX and - wow. It is MUCH FASTER. I do not know what is wrong with my Windows version. I cranked up all the graphics settings at least once notch. The game loads faster. It generates maps faster. And the biggest hangup for me - the leader screen - is amazing. I had it set to Minimum when playing in Windows and even then, the diplomacy screen would hang EVERY TIME it loaded. I have Leaders set to Low in OSX, and it loads smoothly and there is no hanging at all. My MBP isn't even heating up enough for the fan to kick in!

Hats off.