It's the economy, stupid!

Rudimentos

Chieftain
Ok, first of all it is a bit lame to write something about strategy when you actually don't own the game and just played the demo (Europe release time :mad:). Nevertheless I wanted to share some of my thoughts about the game mechanics.

Although some critics say that the economy system has dumbed down, I totally disagree and will elaborate why I think it's important for every strategy you aim for.

Slider Removal
While some people think the missing slider makes things easier, I believe it makes the game depend more on micro management. You really have to check the income of every city and – depending on your situation – have to optimize it, especially if you want the right mix between production, science and income. Just clicking the automatic focus on economy won't be the optimal setting for all the situations you might face.

Maintenance
As some people already noticed, the slider removal and the new and more costly maintenance system for roads, buildings and units makes it more complex to balance your economy the right way. Spamming buildings and just accepting a slower research rate for some times but just adjusting the slider don't work anymore.

You can look at it both ways: One the one hand the new maintenance makes you think more about what to build in which city, on the other hand a better working economy gives you more roads, buildings and military units. I think this is the key to understand the new importance of the economy.

Buying Tiles
If you want to expand early or increase your city growth, you will have to think about luxuries, food and strategic resources. Since you are able to buy tiles, you can now rapidly force the expansion of your culture influence on important hexagons. If you have a lot of money early in the game, it will help you to expand fast. I believe this is one of the main advantages of Bismark, who can have a pretty good early game by raiding the barbarian camps and get more money out of them to push his early growth. Just remember how important the early game in cIV was when playing on a hard difficulty.

Science Victory
Science doesn't depend directly on the income anymore, which may let you think, it's more independent. I disagree, since you need to build libraries, universities and all that stuff to increase your research pace. Furthermore, the research output depends on the size of your cities, so you have to worry about happiness and food income. Both can be achieved and enhanced by buildings which cost you maintenance but also from city states which you have to bribe.

Military Victory
That's a no-brainer since it is clear that you need money to support your troops. If you read the game report of lemmy101 you will have noticed that he had a huge economy and maintenance problem in the end of the game. Additionally, a good income gives you the freedom to buy unites and to construct military buildings.

Culture Victory
Culture depends on two critical aspects: buildings and city states. As mentioned before, you will need a lot of money for both of them.

Diplomatic Victory
Another no-brainer. If you want to win the UN vote, you will need the support of the city states. They like you money, so you have to throw it in their throat.

In Conclusion
Having a good running economy will be (together with happiness) one of the key aspects of the game. For every strategy you might chose, money will at least support if not playing an irreplaceable role in it.

So far my thoughts on the economy in CiV. I would gladly have some feedback, especially from players who have already some more experience with it.

Good stuff!

I agree to the way you describe the economy dynamics. Without the slider you have to balance it in a more subtle way.

Still have to get used to the fact that money seems easier than hammers when it comes to building stuff.

Top Bottom