Its time i told the world of your sins.....

blinky501

Chieftain
so I am playing as sulieman on prince, with a large map of small continents on quick speed. my question is what seems to happen to me on every playthough is I build up my civilization as big as the land mass will allow me to, then I get bored so I decided to dow my closest neighbor or just who ever is unlucky I guess. is there anyway to go to war without the reest of the civs, denouncing me after I wipe the other civ off the face of the planet?

thanks.

Genocide is generally frowned upon, blinky. If you want people to like you I'd recommend against it.

There is genocide, and there is genocide. If you attack the first available option, others will most likely get a little upset. If you attack someone, who was unwise enough to borrow a city state or has already claimed capitals of two other civilizations, that busy-pants is already hated all around the world. Denounce him, join a coalition and go nuts.

Foreplay and consent are important even in Civ.

I realize that genocide is bad but it seems that the computer is way hypocritical. they can attack any civilization they want at any time for seemingly no good reason but if attack someone because they are getting close to sovereign land then I am the devil-incarnate. I thought that taking over the world was the point of this game (I know that through war is not the only way). it just seems that the AI takes a little war too seriously.

while writing this I got dow my two civilizations because I wiped the Indians out like 30 turns ago. of course I will destroy the English and Siamese in short order, but is the answer to war really more war????

thanks

I realize that genocide is bad but it seems that the computer is way hypocritical. they can attack any civilization they want at any time for seemingly no good reason but if attack someone because they are getting close to sovereign land then I am the devil-incarnate. I thought that taking over the world was the point of this game (I know that through war is not the only way). it just seems that the AI takes a little war too seriously.

while writing this I got dow my two civilizations because I wiped the Indians out like 30 turns ago. of course I will destroy the English and Siamese in short order, but is the answer to war really more war????

thanks

You mean that occasionally the AI acts like a human player: irrationally, deceptive or 'emotionally'?? :eek:

Happens in real life, too. Different players on the world stage have different perspectives or even their own version of reality.

If you want to lower your warmonger score(and consequently your warmonger hate) have allies in your war, and liberate cities(CS's or other civs). The latest patch gives you a tool-tip when you hover over a civ's city you are at war with it tells you how much warmongering you'll get for taking that city. Lastly cities gotten in a peace deal doesn't count towards your warmonger score.

If you want to eliminate an empire, it's best to do it in stages over a one fell swoop. I've wiped out two Civs in my current game and only two others (of four remaining) have any modifiers and none have denounced me. You have to be a little tactful and restrain bloodlust if you want to avoid diplomatic fallout... if you don't care about diplomatic fallout being the strongest empire in the game, mass genocide is a perfectly acceptable strategy.

so I am playing as sulieman on prince, with a large map of small continents on quick speed. my question is what seems to happen to me on every playthough is I build up my civilization as big as the land mass will allow me to, then I get bored so I decided to dow my closest neighbor or just who ever is unlucky I guess. is there anyway to go to war without the reest of the civs, denouncing me after I wipe the other civ off the face of the planet?

thanks.

Well what do you expect? Whether you`re bored or not, attacking Civs because you feel like it is much like attacking someone in the street cos you feel like- they`re gonna all get upset with you- A lot! I guess you want a cheat so everyone just doesn`t notice?

i think a lot of you are missing my point I don't want a cheat to hide what I did. I know what I did and I am fine with it. I also like the different traits of the AI based on who they are. My point is that it seems like the computer actions have less weight than my own, and that there words carry more weight than my own. in other civs you could goad a civ into attacking you, so you didn't have to attack them is there anyway to do that in this game?
no-one else has experience anything like this.....

in other civs you could goad a civ into attacking you, so you didn't have to attack them is there anyway to do that in this game?

In previous titles, you could game the system to act like a warmonger without diplomatic penalty. Now, not so much.

It sounds like the point he is trying to make is the consequences for the AI are much less severe than they are for a human player.

In the game I just finished, Rome wiped out the Zulus and Portugal as well as conquering two CSs. I didn't see all the chain denouncements like I would have had I done the exact same thing. The rest of the world couldn't have cared less.

On a happier note, I soon dropped a DOW on him, took his capital, freed all of Shaka's cities (four were given to me in the peace deal) as well as a few of Maria's and liberated the city-states.

Around 10 turns later, I was voted in as the World Leader. Game over.

The genocide tag is pretty abstract. If you have dominant culture over a civ, you can take it over with no rebellion and no population drop at all. Still genocide.

Then again it makes sense that a major civ doesn't like to see one power spreading through conquest no matter how altruistic it may be.

Could technically avoid negative genocide diplomatic modifier if you weaken the last city of a civilization, then have someone else capture the last city. Bribe a nearby civ to declare war or ally a nearby citystate and donate units to it.

thanks.

Sounds like you may want to play at a higher difficulty level so you don't get a chance to get bored...

thank you firesmacker for helping me get my point across as it seems I have a problem communicating my point.

dralix if taking over the world isn't the point, than what it? I know that there are different types of victory but aren't they all basically you excelling in what aspect to be better than your competiitors so you can win the game. I am being serious as this is only my 5th game in civ 5, what other ways can you win the game?

fotonut- what I meant by bored was I had expanded as much as was allowed due to current extraints i.e. land mass, other civs, and number of cities. so maybe bored was the wrong word I just needed more land so I decided to take india's as they were the closest civ to me. I am working on increasing the difficulty as this is my first game on prine after I won pretty easily on the previous difficulyt.

thanks to everybody for their suggestions I am just trying to figure out the inner-workings of this game because I think this is the best civ I have played(and I have played them all) not to mention the graphics are freaking sweet.

blinky501

dralix if taking over the world isn't the point, than what it? I know that there are different types of victory but aren't they all basically you excelling in what aspect to be better than your competiitors so you can win the game. I am being serious as this is only my 5th game in civ 5, what other ways can you win the game?

Check out the victory conditions and understand what you need to do to achieve them. I'm not saying that war isn't helpful - it is. But it's not at all necessary to conquer all your rivals, and attempting to do so may be detrimental.

Top Bottom