It's time to switch from Civ5 to Civ6 ?

Daqidius

Chieftain
Greetings,

i am long time Civ player (started with Civ1) and for the past years i have been playing Civ5 , with all expansions and of course MODS. I am using more then 50 MODS , some of them i adjusted/balanced so the game feel right and balanced.

Right now there is Civ6 platinium edition on sale and i am thinking , it is time to upgrade ?

Can you , players who played thousands of hours of Civ5 (like me) and are playing Civ6 now give me some feedback ?

How is the state with MODS for Civ6 ? becouse Civ5 without MODS is horrible.

Its your preference really. Check out the modding forum for civ VI and see if there is something for you.
I highly doubt you will enjoy VI without mods more than V with them it sounds like.

I'd say I like cities more in VI, also the civic tree is fantastic. They are kinda similar in my eyes. V just started out so lazy it made permament bad taste in my mouth. Its probably much better with mods as you mentioned.

I am just giving my perspective. I’ve played civ 5 for 800 hours and think there is still a good amount of gameplay left. But now that i am using the smooth difficulty mod + unit mods and about 20 others.

I dont want to go back to civ 5. Unless my pc might end up in repair for 1-2 months again. But then i might still go for civ 4 to bring back some memories,

There is one more thing , is Civ 6 as customizable as Civ 5 ?
i mean the gameplay XML files in Civ 5.

f.e. i have adjusted EPIC parameters in civ5gamespeeds.xml to 250% research
Can things like that be done in Civ 6 ?

In above mentioned thread people often compare these games without MODS.

Can you share why ? Compare aspects that differ ?

This is a bit subjective, but if you like better opponents the Vox Populi mod does greatly enhance the AI. While for civ 6 no such mods for AI can be made, because the dll source code is not available.

So it all depends whether you like a better AI or not. If not most people here would agree that civ 6 is better than civ 5.

Yes. Game speed mods are simple and there are many available.

You can create custom game speeds in vanilla civ6 already, no mod is even needed for that.

Civ 5 + expansions + Vox Populi is way better than Civ 6 + expansions.

This is mainly due to vox populi. I could not name one civ 6 overhaul that could compare to those of civ 4 or 5. My honest opinion is that civ 6 without mods currently beats civ 5 without mods.

I would say Civ VI is definitely superior to Civ V without mods, but I also believe the modding capabilities of VI are not as flexible as V, so you may find that your final experience will be lacking in comparison.

I guess it also kind of depends on which Civ 5 mods the OP uses, and what he likes about them.

There are no total conversion Mods, or other overhaul mods like Civ 5 Vox Populi, due to the fact that Firaxis hasn't released the Civ 6 DLL. However there are quite a lot of new content mods, UI mods, and game play tweak mods out there. And yes, Civ 6 uses the same basic XML system as Civ 5, so since you are already familiar with how to use those files to self-customize your game - you can continue to do so.

I prefer the game play of Civ 6 to Civ 5. I have thousands of hours in both games, and honestly can't go back to Civ 5. There are so many things I like in Civ 6 better, too many to count.

As others have pointed out, Modded Civ 5 AI beats the pants off of the Civ 6 AI. If you are a die hard Deity player who must have an ultra competitive AI - then I would recommend you stick to Civ 5. However that is the only argument that I have seen for sticking with Civ 5 that really seems valid to me.

I have 2400hrs in Civ 5 and 1500hrs in Civ 6

I think Civ 6 is WAY better. It feels more varied and interesting and it's impossible for me to try the previous games anymore.

Also the world map is so lush and detailed, everything is animated and there are cool effects like polar lights, wind sweeping over snow, and of course the new disasters like sandstorms.

And if you want the more gritty Civ 5 look into it you can get the 'Civ 5 gfx mod' made by Firaxis' lead graphics designer (of both Civs 5 and 6).

Highly recommend it! Plus there is new DLC on the horizon so you can join the discussion on those too when they are announced.

If you like modding and/or playing with mods, stay with civ5. It simply has more mods that are better. Civ5 mods are also able to overhaul practically anything meaning that Civ5 mods are more impactful -- if you're into that kind of thing.

Personally, I now prefer Civ6 because I don't like massive overhauls to games although there are sometimes exceptions. I definitely use a lot of mods for Civ6, but they're all cosmetic/UI changes. I'll sometimes download a modded civ or a completely new modded civ simply because they look interesting or fun. I always thought it was a bit strange that in the entire history of civ, there's never been a not-Phoenicia, not-Egypt north African civ, for instance.

There seems to be a general consensus and I agree with it -- Civ5 without mods vs. Civ6 without mods -- Civ6 wins. But if you're into lots of overhauling mods, Civ5 is the way to go.

Actually, and I never thought of this before, you could think of Civ6 as a big overhaul of Civ5. A lot carries over from 5 to 6, but the specifics are tweaked (EX: city states, World Congress, culture victory, ... the list could go on).

I definitely use a lot of mods for Civ6, but they're all cosmeticI always thought it was a bit strange that in the entire history of civ, there's never been a not-Phoenicia, not-Egypt north African civ, for instance.

Civ V had Morocco which I'd like to see return in VI.

Top Bottom