1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IV or V? Or nothing at all?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Metal Bunny, Dec 21, 2010.

?

What will or have you done?

1. I have gone back to Civ IV

139 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. I am sticking with Civ V

128 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. I am thinking of going back to IV

46 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I will stop playing all together

42 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. I don't have both copies of the game

16 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Metal Bunny

Metal Bunny Chieftain

I have found myself wanting to go back to Civ IV, after a few months worth of pause from the civ franchise. I myself found Civ V, wanting, and in comparison to Civ IV, disappointing. But before this thread becomes yet another flame war, I would like to know from whomever wishes to share, who has actually gone back to Civ IV, who has stayed with Civ V, or just took a break from it all?
    Now I realize that putting this thread in this section will have biased results, but this section has the most traffic, so..

There is no real need to do an actual Civ IV vs. Civ V debate here, I have all my own arguments in my head and there are plenty of other arguments slowly making a new landmass in the seas of the Civ V forum section.

So, what are you thinking off? Especially with this latest patch? Go back to IV? Stick with V? Or just get rid of Civ all together?

2. alacheesu

alacheesu Chieftain

I've been playing Civ IV on and off for years and I'll probably keep doing that.

I'll check out Civ V after every new patch to see if it's improved, and probably keep my eyes open for any good mods. I played a couple of games after the last patch, but now I'm back to waiting.

3. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

We need a fresh take on Civ that is not stamped with Sid Meier's conservatism ... we need some radically new concepts to make things fresh and new and exciting. We need a Call to Power 3. :D

4. I'm goin' sorta schizophrenic over here. I keep moving back and forth. I'll play ciV, but then, I will yearn for some RoM:AnD features, and then Halo, and half-life, and KOTOR, and back to ciV again.:crazyeye:

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I've played Civ IV way too much, and Civ V is still new to me, so I'm sticking with Civ V. With that said, I'm going out of town for the next week, and my laptop can only handle Civ IV, so I might fire up a game of it for old time's sake.

6. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

I don't think I've played Civ IV in two years, couldn't possibly go back now.

7. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

There needs to be an "I enjoy both" option.
    I prefer Civ IV though :)

8. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor Chieftain

Civ V is too unbalanced and broken to replace Civ IV.

Civ IV is too dated and lacking of all the modern (yet horribly implemented) ideas introduced in Civ V. Plus I've played it to death.

Civ VI is a long ways off and if that useless old fart Meier is still around it'll be even worse than Civ V.

Civ is dead. Elemental was crap.

Maybe I should see if I'll hooked by GalCiv... :(

9. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

I played Civ V a lot for the first few weeks, then went back to playing Civ IV religiously for about a month, now I'm kind of burning out on my strategy game shtick. So I guess I would say "nothing" right now, but I've been on just about every end of the spectrum.

10. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

At the moment I'm playing CiV but I'll go back to Civ IV at some point. Both are still on my PC. Playing 1 doesn't mean you can't like the other as well.

11. Threedog43

Threedog43 Warlord

I thought we were done with polls....*sigh*.

12. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

I went back to Civ IV at first but recently got Victoria II which is doing a pretty good job of scratching the same itch.

13. blind biker

blind biker King

I went back to Civ IV, and played it a lot, and still playing it every day. And now, I just can't imagine myself starting a Civ V game. I feel physically sick at the thought of playing Civ V. I wonder if anybody has the same problem? I have Civ V on my PC, with the .135 patch, but I just can't play it. I can't even try to play Civ V. I get this nausea-like feeling when I visualize Civ V.

Anyone else with this issue?

14. blind biker

blind biker King

It's like some kind of phobia. It can't be completely rational, right?

15. Khan Quest

Khan Quest Prince

ciV just doesn't do it for me. I have gone back to civ IV. It seems that the ciV experience has made even more of a war monger in civ IV.:)

16. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

This. Especially the old fart Meier comment.

17. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

I am "playing" Shafer_5.

But I am doing it to observe its reactions. Actually, I am not *playing* it.
    It is like having a rare insect in a glass and observing it. Why does it react the way it does?

And when I've done so for 2 hours, I am angry.
    I am looking at the temperature of my graphics card and at the symbols necessary to distinguish units.
    I am pressing next turn and in many cases, I switch to the forums to read a bit in the meantime.
    I am constantly switching between mouse and keyboard, since unit movement is better via keyboard, but almost everything else can only be done via mouse.

And then I shut it off in a rage.

It is a misdesigned game.

18. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

I got bored with pre-patch civ 5, but after patch, it's toughter and I had to lower my level like many other players. Yes, ciV has many flaws, bugs etc., but it's completely different from other civ games. No squares, 1 UPT, gold and science separeted and so on. This last patch has improved many things and that proves that they are listening to us.

What I miss from civ 4 is replay at the end of game and victory movies. I don't need wonder movies, but I need victory movies ;).

19. blind biker

blind biker King

But you still CAN go back to play Civ V ... I can't! I have it, right here, on my PC, with the latest patches, but I can't bring myself to start a game!? I can't quite describe it, it's almost as if I'd barf if I forced myself to start playing Civ V.

I am pretty sure Civ IV has something to do with it. But maybe some other factors, like having to wait too long between turns, no replay, and perhaps the moronic happiness system. I hate 1UpT, but I imagine I can cope with that. There's something in Civ V that makes it organically incompatible with me.

I have a flu, and playing a 4X game is the best pastime, but I always go for one of the Civ IV games, not Civ V. I feel positively abhorred by it.

20. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

One of the things I did not like about Civ IV was its complexity, and very frustrating to play. I played it a lot and lost mainly at Noble level. I had difficulty working out whether a city should be orientated towards food/science/gold or production and having to work this out precisely was hard, though production cities were more obvious. Now I see this info is given automatically when you click on the city screen. now the game is easier to understand. There appears to be less emphasis on Specialization.

Despite the poor AI, dodgy diplomacy and crashing on DX10/11 I will stick to Civ V, as I think it will get even better and more so with good mods. You cannot really go backwards and stay stuck in the past. I also think the complainers appear more often in the forum, more than those who like the game. The latest patch has improved things, though I do not like the long build times.