[MAP] Jagdgeschwader's EXTREMELY REALISTIC WWII World Map [1.1]

jagdgeschwader

Chieftain
So I posted this under a different section the other day, but I think this forum is more appropriate. I also made a minor upgrade to the Black Sea, albeit at the cost of the Normandy section of France. However, if you put Cherbourg/Caen on the tile it covers up the blemish. Regardless, the new folder has both files so you can pick which one you like.

I used the map from from WWII Hinge of Fate scenario as a starting template, so the creator of that map deserves some credit. However, I have drastically modified it to be incredibly visually accurate in terms of geographical terrain pictures, and to do this I developed a new editing technique.

Through a slow, pain-staking process, I individually identified pertinent tile squares and made changes to the LM terrain files to accurately depict the terrain spread of a real world map. Because this has been an ongoing project, when I originally started I didn't necessarily do so in the most organized way, and although I have gotten much better from this standpoint it is still not perfect and they may be a few unnecessarily modified tiles or a few minor discretions. Nevertheless, it's pretty darn good (as you can see from the pictures) and even though this is an ongoing project that is still far from complete, I wanted to go ahead and provide the map to anyone who wants to use it. Note: because I had to edit files, if you want the map in all its glory you will have to load the edited terrain files into the scenario's folder.

Also, this is a WWII oriented map, so it is a little bit Euro-centric. I have made changes to every continent, but the most substantial and detailed are to Europe.

The most heavily modified areas:

Denmark: notice the tile work with lakes in the tundra
Holland: the tiny island change where Amsterdam is
France: Normandy/Pas-de-Calais area
Italy: the boot is 10/10 and the Adriatic Sea around Trieste is spot on
Black Sea: this is a work of art

(

Attachments

• Euro-details.png
    Euro-details.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 478
  • Europe1.png
    Europe1.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 558
  • Europe2.png
    Europe2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 449
  • Europe3.png
    Europe3.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 442
  • Italy-detailed.png
    Italy-detailed.png
    2 MB · Views: 452
  • Great Lakes.png
    Great Lakes.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 423
  • Japan.png
    Japan.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 503
  • South Pacific.png
    South Pacific.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 486
  • Black-Caspian (updated).png
    Black-Caspian (updated).png
    4.3 MB · Views: 483
Last edited:
I noticed a blemish with Sardinia on the picture "Europe1", but that's just me accidentally using the wrong preview picture. The correct terrain files were uploaded with the error already fixed, so just know the blemish in Sardinia isn't actually there on the final match. This is what the island actually looks like on the map:

Attachments

• Fixed-mediterranean.png
    Fixed-mediterranean.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 496
Maybe I am missing something here. The map has the Philippine Islands controlled by Germany, with Germany and Russia also owning islands in the Pacific. Germany also controls the Panama Canal, and has an airbase on Newfoundland. The Chinese own the island of Java in what should be the Netherlands East Indies. The terrain appears to be highly accurate, but the ownership of areas is a bit strange. Is there more to the scenario, or just this map?

Maybe I am missing something here. The map has the Philippine Islands controlled by Germany, with Germany and Russia also owning islands in the Pacific. Germany also controls the Panama Canal, and has an airbase on Newfoundland. The Chinese own the island of Java in what should be the Netherlands East Indies. The terrain appears to be highly accurate, but the ownership of areas is a bit strange. Is there more to the scenario, or just this map?

Oh yeah you have to just ignore that stuff. The city placement and ownership is only like 50% complete, and many of the incorrectly assigned cities that you mentioned are remnants of the original map that I used as a template.

The map isn't meant to be a completed scenario, I was just releasing the terrain files so that people could utilize the realistic landscape (with the idea that they would have to finish placing the cities how they saw fit). If I waited until I had everything complete it would probably take a few months before I was able to release things. Sorry for the confusion though.

From the previews (Europe2 & Europe3) it looks as though the Baltic Sea is landlocked. Denmark & the Scandinavian Penninsula appear to be joined. Seems like this might affect the ability to accurately play out some important events such as the German Invasion of Norway and Operation Rheinübung.

Yeah the Black sea being land-locked didn't occur to me, if someone has a problem with it though it's easy enough just to delete the plain tile.

As for the Baltic Sea, that was actually intentional. The idea was to make it as realistic as possible and at the same time to try to give the Germans a minor advantage (it's hard to balance out the strength of the US, Russia and Britain in a way that is playable). If you look at the map with the cities on it, the Germans have access to the sea via the city of Kiel, and Sweden also has access through a city. And again, if someone doesn't like it that way it's easy enough to change.

Attachments

• Baltic_Sea_city.png
    Baltic_Sea_city.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 354
Having the Black and Baltic Seas being landlocked makes a lot of sense, as the entrance to both seas from larger bodies of water is very restricted.

jagdgeschwader, your work is absolute impressive. I think that it's a very accurate map. If I can suggest something you can made a more detailed map for specific ww2 scenarios, like German invasion of France, the invasion of Russia, the mediterranean theatre of war, the D-Day and the struggle for German frontier and so on.

jagdgeschwader, your work is absolute impressive. I think that it's a very accurate map. If I can suggest something you can made a more detailed map for specific ww2 scenarios, like German invasion of France, the invasion of Russia, the mediterranean theatre of war, the D-Day and the struggle for German frontier and so on.

Thanks Imperator! I will definitely consider doing more focused projects in the future, but I still haven't finished the current World Map I am working on. It's sort of a side project I do in my spare time, and I haven't been able to work on it much the last year or so because of the business of things going on in my personal life. However, I will consider these things in the future. And again, thanks for your amazing unit contributions, they are just outstanding in so many ways haha

Top Bottom