1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MAP] Jagdgeschwader's EXTREMELY REALISTIC WWII World Map [2.0]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by jagdgeschwader, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jagdgeschwader

jagdgeschwader Chieftain

Hi everyone, I am posting the updated and greatly-improved version of the map project I started a few years ago. I had to step away from the project for a while, but I was able to resume the project a few months ago and am posting the updated version.

Here is the original: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...xtremely-realistic-wwii-world-map-1-1.624505/

Again, the map was made for use in a WWII scenario and is thus somewhat Euro-centric. The terrain contour is incredibly realistic for a civilization scenario, but to accomplish this I had to make edits to the original terrain files using photoshop. Therefore, if you want to play the map with its full realism you will have to create a scenario folder that utilizes the terrain files included in the zip.

Notes:
    -I've made edits to pretty much every continent to improve realism. Some of these are relatively minor while some are more considerable. Although the map does try to account for the natural real world topography such as elevation or climate/terrain type as much as possible, generally speaking the map values visual terrain contour above all else, and there may be a few occasionally instances where the area should technically be elevated or a different terrain type. The extent of this is rather minor and I'm guessing most people won't really care or even notice, but it is worth mentioning.
    -Europe was made slightly larger for playability and the terrain realism was considerably improved.
    -As someone pointed out in the last thread, the Baltic Sea and Black Sea are technically landlocked. This was intentional and was done because (a) it tends to be more aesthetically accurate from a visual standpoint and (b) it gives cities like Copenhagen and Istanbul added strategic value (the Germans have access to the Baltic through Kiel).
    -The map is still incomplete. As someone else pointed out in the last few, a few of the cities are assigned to the wrong nation (for instance, the Russian city of Irkutsk is currently incorrectly assigned to Greece). This is simply because I have not yet edited these areas and they haven't been changed from the original map file; you will have to make these changes yourself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. jagdgeschwader

jagdgeschwader Chieftain

Here are a few more screenshots.

Attached Files:

3. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

Very nice work! I'm going to try to create a scenario using your map.

4. jagdgeschwader

jagdgeschwader Chieftain

Thanks! If you want here is the most recent version of the map.

It's kind of hard to track all the changes but I made Southern Europe a little larger and better, western Russia/Manchuria is slightly improved, the US is improved, certain areas of Africa are improved, and overall it should be slightly more accurate in terms of orientation and geography.

Attached Files:

Moff Jerjerrod likes this.