January 2017 - DUNE

Autumn Leaf

Since 1992
The Spice must flow!

This King level scenario is set on the world Arrakis, also known as DUNE. This is a desert world. The only water available for irrigation is to be found in the qanats.

You are Muad'dib, leader of the Atreides (Greeks), based at Sietch Tabr. Your initial opponents include five Fremen factions, Vladimir Harkonnen of the Harkonnen (Russians), and Emperor Shaddam IV of the Imperials (Barbarians).

Objectives:
- control all remaining spice sites (mandatory);
- leave at least one AI opponent alive (mandatory);
- build Apollo in Arrakeen (mandatory unless OCC, Arrakeen destroyed or Apollo is built by AI);
- build one SS Structural (mandatory);
- save the game and upload your save files (mandatory);
- launch space ship (optional).

You can use any legal method you like to gain your objectives, up to and including the destruction of all the spice. The only absolute requirement is that you must control all spice (if any) on the planet at the time you launch your spaceship.

Scoring:
- Fastest win with the most spice (2 turns off per) and most destroyed initial AIs (3 turns off per).

Scoring example: Player One destroys no opponents and all but 1 spice and wins by 1500 BC. He gets two turns off for the 1 spice, so his score is 1540 BC. Player Two captures 21 spice and destroys 4 opponents and wins by 500 BC (i.e. 50 turns later). He gets 2 x 21 = 42 for the spice plus 3 x 4 = 12 for the AI, for 54 turns off. Player Two wins with a score of 1580 BC versus Player One's 1540 BC.

In detail: you must take sole control of all spice sites (represented by Oil Swamps), and also build the Apollo Project in Arrakeen (*if* it has not already been built by an opponent and *if* you are not playing OCC and *if* Arrakeen has not been destroyed), and finally export spice and jihad to the galaxy (colonise Alpha Centauri). Each surviving spice you control is worth two turns off your completion date. Each INITIAL AI civ destroyed (Imperials and successor AI civs are worth nothing) is worth three turns off your completion date. Overlook even one spice, and your score is 0 because you don't have a monopoly on the spice.

Controlling a spice site means either destroying the spice ("the ability to destroy a thing ...") by mining or irrigating the Swamp; or else the spice is visible within the city window of one of your cities *and* you have a military unit standing on the spice to guard it *and* it is not within the 20-square city window of any opponent. The more spice sites you actively control (rather than destroy), the better your score, but as you can destroy any unwanted or indefensible sites, or destroy the spice of a city you cannot capture or do not want, you do not need to build a city beside every Swamp. If playing OCC, you must obviously destroy all spice sites except, optionally, the one controlled by your single city, being the only way to control them all.

Fast Settlers are allowed. You may reload to prevent the AI building Apollo Program or Manhattan Project before 1 AD. No other cheats may be used.

Since controlling the spice may require defeating your enemies anyway (their capitals all overlook spice sites, so you need to either capture or destroy the city or else destroy its spice), conquest is not a valid objective for this scenario. If you conquer the world your score is 0, so you must keep at least one opponent (initial or successor) alive while ensuring that they cannot contest any spice site.

Your spacecraft has already been delivered to Arrakis orbit by the Guild of Navigators. Once the Apollo Program is built you need to build just one SS Structural for the spaceship to be ready for launch with a 20.1 year flight time. *Nobody* has Plastics (required for SS Component) or Robotics (required for SS Module), so even if they build Apollo Program your opponents cannot build a viable spaceship. This is a one-horse space race, you just need to harness the horse.

Technology research has been disabled. You start with exactly the same technology as your opponents, and nobody can make new discoveries. Your only edge will be how you use it. All goodie huts have been removed to prevent acquiring random technology from huts - a pity as I rather liked the concept of spice blows!

You do have every essential advance for a modern society, with some important omissions. You have useful things like Religion, Factories, and SDI Defence. You have Rocketry and Nuclear Fission, so once Manhattan Project is built everyone will have nukes (family atomics). You have Flight (Thopters), but *not* Advanced Flight (no Bombers). The Republic and Democracy are not available. No Gunpowder or Conscription. You can build factories but not Mfg. Plants, because allowing Robotics would allow the AI to build SS Modules. There is no Railroad (too powerful and I'd have to build and destroy Darwin's Voyage to prevent technology advances). Horror of horrors, there is no Trade!

Militarily, you have Family Atomics (99/1/16), Thopters (4/2/10), Cannon (8/1/1), Sandwalkers (4/1/2), Sardaukar (3/1/1), Fremen (2/1/2), Guards (1/2/1), Townfolk (1/1/1), Mentats (0/0/2) and Pyons (0/1/1). The Thopter compensates for the generally weak defensive units, making the capture of Thopter-defended cities potentially very expensive; but a Thopter's range is limited: there are no Carriers so it must land in a city at the end of every turn.

Your opponents start with pre-built capitals with Barracks, City Walls ands a Thopter. The Imperials control Arrakeen and have outposts out on the sands guarding spice sites. Imperial outposts can't grow, but will send out patrols and hinder access to nearby spice. You should destroy any outposts you find. Arrakeen is the best city site on the planet, but is strongy defended. If all goes well, Arrakeen will build the United Nations in 3960 BC.

OCC players: your Settlers are already standing on an excellent OCC site, unless you want to go 2 squares east to settle on a hillside (better defence, less food, same spice).

Scenario Designer's Notes:
(WARNING: possible spoilers.)

People found my Riverworld scenario a little hard. Well, this one is much easier. You are very unlikely to be destroyed by the AI: the challenge is not to survive but to win as fast and as well as possible in an unusual geographical, technological and economic setting.

In terms of scoring, the fastest time in which the game can legitimately be won will be determined by how long it takes you to find all the spice and get Pyons there to destroy it or to build a city by it! This will probably take longer than it will take you to capture Arrakeen and build Apollo. For example, it takes at least 50 turns for a Pyon from Sietch Tabr to cross the map to reach the furthest spice site. You might get there a little faster by boat, or by using Sandwalkers to capture an AI city near the spice and force-building Pyons from it, but that's the scale of the challenge you face. Spice is everywhere, even deep in the antarctic ice.

If you are playing OCC you won't get much spice bonus since you've got to destroy most of it, but destroying the spice with Fast Settlers is probably a little faster than capturing it whereas people playing a conquest game will get more score from spice but (probably) will take a little longer. Since you only need to build one Wonder and one SS Structural and there's no research, an OCC player is not disadvantaged by having only one city to build things in. On the other hand you can't power through by WLTKD or building Caravans. (Sandworms ate all the camels!)

If you're playing smallpox, each city site can support two or three viable cities giving each city at least one Oasis, two or three Plains or Grasslands, and all the desert the traffic will bear. This is probably the "easiest" military win if you're not playing a Civ version where having too many cities under Monarchy or Communism makes people unhappy. Otherwise bigpox may work better since you can plant your city in the middle of several high-food Specials for fast growth, but keeping those big cities happy without bankrupting yourself will be hard and the city will top out around 20 population and may be plagued by pollution.

If you want to refer to a Dune map, the game map is a polar projection of Arrakis, with the north pole at the centre and the south pole around the rim. Your starting point is near the site of Sietch Tabr, while Arrakeen is in the Imperial Basin. Don't get too invested in how things "should" be though, as I have taken liberties with locations to fit the needs of the scenario.

Although qanats are the only source of water for irrigation, there is a south polar ocean. Civ crashes around 2720 BC if there is no ocean available where it wants to generate sea barbarians, so I had to give the planet an ocean. To be safe, I ringed the map with ocean. The shoreline is all Arctic or Mountain terrain, so the AI will never build port cities. There are a few spots where you can build a viable city with a seafront, but without Mapmaking or Navigation the only way to get ships is to bribe an Imperial Sail. You might then use your mercenary to ferry units across the Date Line, but that's about it for the water in this game.

Because I had to make the planet habitable enough for the AI civs to flourish and put up a fight, large oases make the desert more viable for settlements than you may expect. Some locations can support cities with 20 population.

Beyond a few hills, there are no natural barriers to movement, so you will need a good military to block infiltration by enemy units (and of course, to capture enemy cities). Your nearest neighbour is within a one-way Thopter ride, but is too far away for you to get there before they complete a Guard. Expect early contact.

Since there is no research and no Trade, you should set your taxes to 100% to maximise early income. Without Trade and Republic your economy will never be robust, so think carefully before building expensive city improvements that may sap your budget. Since there is no research, the values of the available Wonders need to be reassessed. Some Wonders are already obsolete (Oracle, Shakespeares's Theatre) but others never will become obsolete. (The obsolete Wonders aren't flagged with asterisks in the city build lists. I know where the data is that I need to change, I just haven't got around to writing a utility to make editing that data easy yet. But I have verified that the obsolete Wonders don't work.)

The base world map was built using DarkPanda's JCivEd 0.18a. I then polished the save file with my own tools.

Quick answers to a couple of likely questions. No, this desert-arctic world will not improve if you nuke it. Plains will turn to Desert. Grasslands may turn to Swamp or Jungle. Hills, Mountains, Rivers, Deserts, Arctic and Tundra will be unaffected. Also, letting the AI build Apollo or Manhattan too soon will not improve game play.

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP
    11.3 KB · Views: 333
  • CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 345
Doing a play-through I just noticed the gaping flaw in my last-minute change to make Arrakeen build the UN in 3960 BC. Barbarian city production is never reset by the game after the game initially sets it to Legion. So Arrakeen, which should be spinning off Sardaukar every turn, sits there grimly generating shields for a Wonder it has already built. :crazyeye:

I'll leave it be. It will make capturing the city a little easier since you won't have to plough through the dozens of Sardaukar that should surround the city, but I don't think it will crash the game. I believe Civ range checks the resources bin and loops it back to 0. :lol:

Edited to add: Huh, on checking in 3000 BC Arrakeen is churning out Sardaukar. So it looks like the game does check Barbarian city production if the resources bin overflows. So. All is well.

Last edited:
Completed the game in 180 BC with 43 cities, 17 million people and a score of 64%. Could have finished it earlier but as the scenario designer I am not eligible to win and anyway I was more interested in playing it long enough to be sure there were no fatal bugs, so after an early burst I expanded slowly until I built Manhattan, then pushed to finish it. This was my second playthrough - I abandoned the first one when the Harkonnen (Russians) built Manhattan around 2100 BC and I accidentally saved the game.

I controlled 26 spice (52 turns off) and destroyed all 6 initial AI civs (18 turns off), total -70 turns * 20 years each = 180 BC -1400 years = a final scenario score of 1580 BC.

In the Replay, "NUCLEAR WEAPRussians" are the Imperials (Barbarians) - Seems renaming the Barbarians confuses Civ! :lol:

Spoiler Replay :
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Arrakeen
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Pyramania
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Outpost 1
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Outpost 2
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Outpost 3
3980 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians found the city of Outpost 4
3980 BC: Russians found the city of Carthag
3980 BC: Zulus found the city of Gara Kulon
3980 BC: Germans found the city of Funer Plain
3980 BC: Aztecs found the city of Cielago
3980 BC: Chinese found the city of Sietch Makab
3980 BC: Mongols found the city of Kuriya
3980 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF SIETCH TABR
3980 BC: Mongols form Monarchy
3960 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians build United Nations
3940 BC: Pyramania destroyed
3940 BC: Chinese form Monarchy
3920 BC: Aztecs form Monarchy
3920 BC: ATREIDES FORM MONARCHY
3900 BC: Germans form Monarchy
3880 BC: NUCLEAR WEAPRussians produce first Sardaukar
3880 BC: Zulus form Monarchy
3860 BC: Russians form Monarchy
3820 BC: Russians produce first Guard
3780 BC: ATREIDES PRODUCE FIRST PYON
3760 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF CAVE OF RICH
3580 BC: ATREIDES PRODUCE FIRST THOPTER
3480 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF TASMIN SINK
3380 BC: Russians produce first Cannon
3240 BC: Outpost 2 destroyed
3160 BC: Outpost 1 destroyed
3160 BC: Germans build the Hanging Gardens
3140 BC: ATREIDES PRODUCE FIRST SANDWALKER
3100 BC: Zulus found the city of Sietch Abbir
3080 BC: Zulus build Shakespeare's Theatre
3060 BC: Atreides make peace with Germans
3020 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF CLIFF BIGHT
3000 BC: ATREIDES: 3 CITIES; 420,000 POPULATION
*** 1:Atreides 2:Aztecs 3:Russians 4:Germans 5:Chinese 6:Zulus 7:Mongols
3000 BC: Zulus produce first Fremen
2820 BC: Outpost 4 destroyed
2760 BC: Mongols found the city of Old Gap
2740 BC: Atreides declare war on Germans
2740 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE FUNER PLAIN
2740 BC: German civilization destroyed by Atreides
2720 BC: French found the city of Djedida Pan
2700 BC: Aztecs found the city of Istiggah
2680 BC: Old Gap destroyed
2620 BC: Djedida Pan destroyed
2620 BC: French civilization destroyed by Aztecs
2560 BC: Istiggah destroyed
2560 BC: Atreides make peace with Aztecs
2540 BC: ATREIDES BUILD THE COLOSSUS
2500 BC: Zulus capture Kuriya
2500 BC: Mongol civilization destroyed by Zulus
2480 BC: Outpost 3 destroyed
2440 BC: Atreides make peace with Chinese
2320 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF HOLE IN ROCK
2280 BC: Chinese make peace with Russians
2280 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF HOBARS GAP
2080 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE ARRAKEEN
2080 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF CHATT'S LEAP
2080 BC: Atreides make peace with Russians
2060 BC: Atreides make peace with Zulus
2000 BC: ATREIDES: 9 CITIES; 2,950,000 POPULATION
*** 1:Atreides 2:Zulus 3:Russians 4:Chinese 5:Aztecs
2000 BC: ATREIDES FORM COMMUNIST
1980 BC: ATREIDES BUILD J.S.BACH'S CATHEDRAL
1960 BC: Chinese found the city of Windsack
1940 BC: ATREIDES PRODUCE FIRST MENTAT
1840 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE WINDSACK
1720 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF CAVE OF TEAR
1700 BC: Zulus found the city of Open Bled
1620 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF MIDRI ROCK
1600 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF KEKE HIDEOUT
1580 BC: Russians found the city of Palmyries
1460 BC: Aztecs found the city of Manbiji Chas
1460 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE PALMYRIES
1380 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE KURIYA
1340 BC: Manbiji Chas destroyed
1340 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF FALSE SIETCH
1320 BC: Russians build Michelangelo's Chapel
1220 BC: ATREIDES BUILD CURE FOR CANCER
1220 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF TECRUBE STCH
1140 BC: ATREIDES BUILD HOOVER DAM
1120 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF AL HIGAZ
1000 BC: ATREIDES: 18 CITIES; 7,860,000 POPULATION
*** 1:Atreides 2:Zulus 3:Russians 4:Aztecs 5:Chinese
1000 BC: Atreides declare war on Zulus
980 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE GARA KULON
920 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF NAYHA GAP
900 BC: Atreides make peace with Zulus
900 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF HEBLON GAP
880 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE SIETCH ABBIR
780 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF JULUMANIYA
680 BC: Atreides declare war on Aztecs
680 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE CIELAGO
680 BC: Aztec civilization destroyed by Atreides
640 BC: Egyptians found the city of Bikouros Stc
600 BC: Atreides declare war on Russians
600 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE CARTHAG
600 BC: Russian civilization destroyed by Atreides
600 BC: Zulus declare war on Atreides
600 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE OPEN BLED
600 BC: Zulu civilization destroyed by Atreides
560 BC: Romans found the city of Sietch Coanu
560 BC: ATREIDES BUILD THE ORACLE
540 BC: Atreides make peace with Egyptians
540 BC: Egyptians produce first Townfolk
540 BC: ATREIDES BUILD APOLLO PROGRAM
520 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF CAVE OF BIRD
500 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF HABBANYA ERG
460 BC: Atreides declare war on Chinese
460 BC: ATREIDES CAPTURE SIETCH MAKAB
460 BC: Chinese civilization destroyed by Atreides
460 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF MINOR ERG
440 BC: Atreides make peace with Americans
440 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF BROKEN LAND
440 BC: Atreides make peace with Romans
420 BC: ATREIDES BUILD THE GREAT WALL
420 BC: Atreides declare war on Romans
420 BC: Sietch Coanu destroyed
420 BC: Roman civilization destroyed by Atreides
400 BC: ATREIDES BUILD MANHATTAN PROJECT
400 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF MOUNT IDAHO
400 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF SHIELD WALL
400 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF RIMWALL WEST
380 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF GREAT FLAT
360 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF SALAMIS
360 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF LISBON
340 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF HAMBURG
320 BC: ATREIDES PRODUCE FIRST FAM. ATOM.
300 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF PRAGUE
280 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF SALZBURG
260 BC: Atreides make peace with Babylonians
260 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF BERGEN
260 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF VENICE
260 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF MILAN
200 BC: ATREIDES FOUND THE CITY OF ICE STATION

Attachments

• CIVIL3.MAP
    12.5 KB · Views: 333
  • CIVIL3.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 282
Completed the game in 180 BC with 43 cities, 17 million people and a score of 64%.
It's possible that you did discourage other people from tryin' out your newest scenario here
with that result of yours as an ...opener.
Who shall beat that? :blush:
Sorry i had to write ('say') that.

Info:
...the game is at KiNG level.
Expect a simple 'militia' unit of the ingame AI opponent 'stand' the attacks of your cannon.

Scoring:
- Fastest win with the most spice (2 turns off per) and most destroyed initial AIs (3 turns off per).

Scoring example: Player One destroys no opponents and all but 1 spice and wins by 1500 BC. ...
Very complicated. :sad:
Especially for people from non-english-speaking countries.

Last edited:
LOL. Well, I was trying to lay out the rules of a fairly complex game where Civ1 didn't entirely do the heavy lifting for us.

Bottom line, get as much spice as possible while destroying as many enemies as possible; slight emphasis on killing enemies.

This is super cool @Autumn Leaf , especially as I've been on the hunt for Dune scenarios for all Civ games but didn't expect to find a Civ1 one haha! So many out there probably have no idea that there was a Civ1 scenario making community, I sure as hell didn't until I first joined this forum a few years back lol! However it of course makes sense when there's excellent map & game editors out there like JCivED. I'm definitely gonna have to cover your work in my big HD Civ scenarios video series I'm working on!

I understand why you guys used CivDOS instead of CivWin (bad graphics & sound lol) however these days we have Honza's awesome DOS graphics CivWin mod and my Soundtrack Overhaul CivWin mod so I thought it would be fun to convert your excellent scenario to CivWin using the CivCracker map & game editor (which can convert save files from DOS to Win) and have attached the file to this post if others wish to play it. CivWin also supports custom save file names which makes scenario sharing and collection organising much easier!

Looks good, although funnily enough CivWin's original more yellowy graphics actually suit this scenario being a desert world of course lol. However one drawback I've noticed with CivWin is that all your custom unit names get wiped which sucks a bit. Your custom city names are okay though. Hopefully nothing else has been spoiled.

Here's some screenshots comparing the two. Map is revealed just for the pictures to show how cool your work is but kept the window small (instead of an HD one) to avoid big spoilers.

Converted scenario with DOS graphics mod:

Converted scenario with original graphics:

Attachment removed at whopping 68 hits (which is pretty good for a dead forum lol) and moved to downloads area here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/dune-scenario-civdos-civwin.29034/

Last edited:
Quick update!

As promised I've showcased your work in my big new Playing Civilization 1 in HD with Mods & Scenarios video tour here:

and if that isn't enough then guess what lol.. I love your scenario so much that I played a huge game of it and did a big special bonus video all about your scenario! :)

I've also included your scenario in my big scenario preservation project I'm working on!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ1-scenario-mod-preservation-project-log.672488/

I've removed my download from the above post (counter was at a whopping 68 downloads which is pretty good for a dead forum lol) and I've now added it (along with your original DOS save files and a info text file crediting you) in a 7zip file to the CFC Civ1 downloads area along with Moddb & Internet Archive to ensure your work is never lost. Should you wish to make any updates or changes to the files just let me know. :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/dune-scenario-civdos-civwin.29034/

As you'll see I got the admins to create a new Civ1 scenario downloads area to put them in! I also saw people posting here a while back this old GOTM sub forum should probably be renamed to a scenario creation forum since there hadn't been monthly activities in a long time so I got them to partially rename this forum too. :)

Top Bottom