1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

January Beta - Patch Preview

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Hey all,

Here's a preview of the beta changelog. Fire away!

Code:
    General
        Major bugfixes and performance improvements
            Biggest: Tactical AI, Diplo AI, Trade AI, City Production AI, Policy Air
            Note: CP-only players should see some big improvements
        Github issue resolutions
        Other bugfixes and improvements

Balance
        Happiness
            Increased base happiness by 1 at all difficulties
            Increased tech scaler by 25% for happiness

Wonders
            CERN and Hubble: -1 policy required to unlock (now 27)
        Tourism  
            Modified 'blanket' modifiers for tourism:
                Open Borders - now 10% (was 20%)
                Trade Route - now 10% (was 20%)
                Diff Ideologies - now -15% (Was -50%)
                Diplomat - now 10% (was 25%)
                Open Borders modifier in Artistry now 10% (was 20%)
            Trade Routes - when completed, give the same amount of tourism to the target civ as now, but 50% of it also goes to all known civs

Units
            Air Units
                Reworked promotion trees for air units
                    Interception chance promtions now a tier set, no longer assigned to units (so units must be specialized as interceptors if desired)
                    Bombers now given two roles: anti-unit line and anti-city line.
                    Existing promotions tweaked in power
                        Air Supremacy now 75% vs Air/Helicopter (was 150%)  
                    Fighters now start with a -25% penalty v land/sea units and cities
                Production cost of air units reduced by about 20%
                Fighter RCS reduced by ~5 at each level -  now weaker than bombers in flat CS across the board
            Faith purchase costs for units/buildings no longer double dip on scaling costs via tech

Terrain
            Incense - now +2g base (was +1c)
            Perfume - gains +1g on Arena/Colosseum
            Coffee - base yield now +1s/+1f (was +2f), improvement yield now +1g/+1s
            Lapis - base yield now +1s, improvement now +2p/+1s

Buildings
            New building ability - instant yield in internal TR origin city when internal trade route is completed
                Ability scales with era, and takes into account the buildings in both cities for the instant yield
                Market/Bazaar: 25 food, scaling with era
                Workshop: 25 production, scaling with era
                Agribusiness: 50 food, scaling with era
                Factory/Steam Mill: 50 production, scaling with era
        Civs
            Removed some aberrant or unnecessary starting position priorities

G

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Erikose, Dimmy, Bromar1 and 17 others like this.
  2. randomnub

randomnub Chieftain

:eekdance:

Not a fan of this one. Balance wise it might be a good move after the tourism nerf, but conceptually it doesn't make sense (why should other civs care about a trade route between 2 partners on the other side of the world?) and once everybody plays with 5-10 TRs we're going to notice rather unpredictable tourism spikes every turn.

Typo? :c5production: for Workshops I suppose. Interesting ability, is it affected by % modifiers to trade routes such as Fealty one?

'bout time :yeah: Details, please?

Edit: I'd welcome a buff to Artists GAP burst ability, by now it looks like they've been nerfed too much imo. That's also material for a possible policy.

phantomaxl1207 likes this.
  3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Funny enough I have a real world example from a recent experience. On a trip to Romania, I met several people from Canada. Had a wonderful time with them, and now I'm planning a trip to Canada.

So the tourism that drew me to Romania, has now generated new tourism in Canada.

Is it a perfect example? No. Is it reasonable enough considering all of the other stretches we apply in Civ to make the game run? I think so

Erikose, BiteInTheMark and tu_79 like this.
  4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

My notes inline.

5. randomnub

randomnub Chieftain

In that example, it worked the other way around: you had your own trade route with Romania; at the end of it Romania had a tourism boost on you and at the same time you received tourism pressure from Canada. :crazyeye:

6. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Hard to quote you inline like that.

Bombers come out ahead. Cheaper and stronger. Fighters still have a ton of bonuses, including auto tile air reconnaissance every round. They’re also cheaper. They start with some interception so they weren’t totally nerfed.

Tourism is still showing plenty of strength in AI testing. We’ll see though. If anything I’ll bump instant yields slightly.

ITR are only slightly underpowered. This is a softer way of doing it. I also like the mechanic,
    Bursts of production or food can be useful.

G

Erikose, vyyt and civplayer33 like this.
  7. kkkitten

kkkitten Chieftain

Loving the direction of tourism, can't immediately disagree with anything until testing.

I especially appreciate these, ty!!

Also someone said before about tourism to other civs: If country A likes visiting country B a lot, other civs' people are going to be very curious to visit and tour B as well! I think that works

vyyt likes this.
  8. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Is it possible to explain to us legits, where do the performance improvements come from? By the looks of this, it sounds like a slow algorithm shared by several AI logics.

About the balance changes, hard to say anything before testing. With the changes in happiness from technology, is it harder or easier for late game?
    Also, have you considered what to do with the anti-air promotions no one is taking?

vyyt and Gokudo01 like this.
  9. theMisterRud

theMisterRud Chieftain

There are only two games I religiously check updates for: VP and Overwatch ...

And some times I don't check Overwatch :D

Thank you for the amazing work, looks great, especially the starting bias.

vyyt and Gokudo01 like this.
  10. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

If I were the "rule-master" of the game, the rule would be "50% of tourism to every civ that trade with your target, 25% to every civ that trade with a civ that trade with your target, 12.5% for every civ at distance 3, ...". However, it sound like an horribly complex rule for not that much.

I agree with the spikes of tourism, though. But that's more of an UI problem.
    I feel that maybe changing instant bonuses from TR into "per-turn tourism" would be better. In fact, particularly the "tourism for everyone", which could just be a raw per-turn bonus to tourism for external TR instead of an instant tourism bonus with everyone.

MidnightAfterglow and Skidizzle like this.
  11. ilteroi

ilteroi Chieftain

there are several things that were improved.

one is pathfinding, or rather avoiding unnecessary pathfinding. typically pathfinding is responsible for about half of the processing time in the dll code.

secondly i improved the combat simulation so that it recognizes equivalent sequences of moves and doesn't explore those dead ends.

thirdly the city ai takes a lot of time deciding what to build and which plots to work. this can be optimized by caching intermediate values.

however, typically only half of the turn time is spent in the dll (with animations turned off!). the rest is in lua. unfortunately the game is designed in a way that both cannot run at the same time.

12. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

Do all of the config.ini options below affect DLL processing only? And is DLL processing first and LUA second? Are these the optimum settings for a modern CPU?
    Code:
    Threaded Submission = 1
    MaxSimultaneousThreads = 8
    EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
    GameCoreThreadingUsesJobManager = 0
    ThreadedExecute = 1
    ThreadingMode = 0

vyyt likes this.
  13. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Major buff to venice detected, but Enrico's always a balance wildcard.

I've got no problem with any of these changes. Looks solid.
    G, would it be possible to post the table/column types for the new ITR bonus yields?
    Might you also post the code for the starting bias changes?

I will need to integrate that building table and revert some of the starting bias changes for 4UC.

14. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

I like everything I see so far, but was the Fealty happiness in Nobility reduced to 1 from 2 with Circus receiving it's +1 Happy back, so wide is better/possible for Statecraft/Artistry?

15. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 Chieftain

I am interested in seeing the new Air Promotion lines. Can't say much about Aircraft until then.

16. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Chieftain

Trade Routes - when completed, give the same amount of tourism to the target civ as now, but 50% of it also goes to all known civs

----------------------------------------------------------

Am I understanding this correctly ? The US sends cargo to Korea, like food, clothes, manufactured goods, cars, cell phones and so on. When the TR completes, Korea gets a tourism buff against the US ? Instead of the opposite ? And the US gets a tourism boost against, for example, Peru due to the cargo ship sent to Korea ?

17. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

Before:
    Cargo ship from USA to Korea give 100 tourism when completed for USA against Korea

Future update:
    Cargo ship from USA to Korea give 100 tourism when completed for USA against Korea, and 50 tourism for USA against Peru (and all other civs).
    => Representing the fact that all trade networks are interconnected. And game-play wise it fixes one of the main criticizes which was that "declaring war to the civ that try to influence you is a too efficient counter-play".

An my suggestion in a previous post:
    Cargo ship from USA to Korea give 50 tourism when completed for USA against Korea, and +2 tourism per turn (against everybody, as every per-turn tourism)
    (so still ~100 tourism against Korea in total)
    => Because if every TR of every civ give instant tourism to everyone, I think that's way too much instant tourism in the late game. I'd rather have per-turn tourism instead.

[ the values in this comment are not representative of the exact in-game values ]

18. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Chieftain

Understood. Makes sense.

Had doubts about the US-Peru relation but I can go around it by looking at it differently. Like it is indirect influence on Peru, as a punishment on Peru that it did not send TR to Korea but it was US who did it so thus Peru losing global competitive tourism advantages in the world, and more specifically v/s the US.

19. ilteroi

ilteroi Chieftain

most of these flags affect the rendering engine, except the ones with gamecore. and i have very little information about those.

all i can tell you is that there are two threads (one for lua, one for the gamecore). the lua code makes a lot of calls into the dll but the c++ code is not threadsafe. so the two threads share a lock to force serial execution, wasting most of the potential performance gain from having two threads.

probably if you set gamecorethreading=0 the performance is not much different. but i didn't test that.

ryanmusante and vyyt like this.
  20. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

This makes CV going civs even more dependant on trade routes, or? I know, you want active parts for the CV, but then I ask me, why does Statecraft and Industry gives more trade routes, but all CV related policy trees not (tradition, artistry)?
    At the moment, industry is really rarely picked in my games, and in almost all cases culture civs go rationalismn. Couldn't we make industry more attractive towards CV civs by switching the Great Musician to Industry, the Great Merchant to Progress, GW to fealty and GA to Artistry? Thematically this fits much better, the Great Musician and the Broadway are now together (Great Musician in Industry makes sense, if you see it as Music and Movie Industry, which influences the world today much more than pieces of art of former eras).
    It would allow CV players to have 2 final choices in industrial age and atleast 2 cultural GP purchase options, if they go tradition-artistry-industry (instead only 1 cause of Artistry)

Edit: This patch looks great, I would have simply increased the yields for ITR, but I think the building mechanics sounds really good. But may be easier to balance in the end. Gaining gold by market/Bazar would be fine too.

MidnightAfterglow likes this.