1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

January Beta - Patch Preview

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:43 PM.

1. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

Ok, so my apprehension about a 50% tourismn to others could be bigger than 100% to a specific civ is baseless.
    But how much is it in general? 5 times the toursimn output changed by the modifiers? Something like that? I would like to do some calculations based on that, cause like Minh Le said, all civs except one gaining 50% of the trade route tourismn is a lot of tourismn.
    I could do some maths for you, to get a better view for a balanced tourismn, and start the next patch with an already fitting value.

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I admit this is my experience as well. In my last game I was seeing falling trends towards the end, when suddenly a Trade Route finished and it pushed the last civ into influential. I'll watch for it more next time, but I don't feel like the UI is properly reflecting that.

civplayer33 likes this.
  3. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Yep me too...I'm currently gathering evidence.

4. Doormat123

Doormat123 Chieftain

Out of curiosity, will there be any buffs to trade routes to city states since they seem relatively less useful now?

5. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un Chieftain Supporter

Off topic, but don't you just hate when barb camps spawn all over the biggest lapis deposits in the game? In the information era, no less...

Jokes aside, the patch notes have me excited yet again. Good stuff!

black213 likes this.
  6. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

Attached Files:

Bromar1, black213 and Kim Dong Un like this.
  7. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un Chieftain Supporter

ryanmusante likes this.
  8. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Chieftain

The most hilarious resource in this game goes by the name "perfume"

9. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

10. JohannesWasHere

JohannesWasHere Chieftain

Can't wait :w00t:

ryanmusante likes this.
  11. bigcat88

bigcat88 Chieftain

Imho, don't like these tourism changes.
    And don't see any buff for Denmark :(

12. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Why don't you like these tourism changes?

13. bigcat88

bigcat88 Chieftain

I do not want my citizens to be impressed with the trade routes on the opposite side of the globe.

14. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

I dont know if it possible but can we have the 50% bonus tourism on TRs be unlocked on a certain tech? I mean how can we know about a trade route on the opposite of the globe if we dont even have telecomunication?

15. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Well it will only be with civs you've met, not all civs. I assume some level of abstraction for civ (plus the 'tourism' moves you from unknown to exotic, etc., so the idea is already there). Consider this: Europeans were aware enough of the Indian Ocean trade market in the 15th century to send ships all the way around Africa to get a piece of that sweet monsoon action. So, really, there's your real world example.

G

MidnightAfterglow and Minh Le like this.
  16. randomnub

randomnub Chieftain

Alright I'm sold. You have my permission to release the patch now.

TheBigFundamental, Txurce and vyyt like this.
  17. black213

black213 Chieftain

I can see Coffee's/Lapis' new 1 science pre-improvement making them the best starting lux, now that all remaining initial culture yields were dialed back to improvement yields.
    A safer method to introduce the science would be in keeping it for the improvement yields.

TheBigFundamental likes this.
  18. Zanteogo

Zanteogo Chieftain

I was also sad to see that Denmark hasn’t been given back any sort of pillaging fun. I actually revert to the patch before the big nerf when they were still fun when ever I play them.

19. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Denmark is still very, very strong, you're crazy if you think they were balanced before.

G

20. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

In terms of the new TR route adjustment with CV, here are my general thoughts.

People are saying that this increases the CVs reliance on ETRs. In most cases, it doesn't. In general, CV comes down to one civ, the biggest cultural player, who often needs significantly more tourism to overcome than any of the other civs.

In current CV play, the CV player is throwing as many of his trade routes as he can at the culture leader. CV is already extremely reliant on ETRs to push tourism with the culture leader. And honestly, I don't think this change alters that in most cases. I'm still losing 50% if I trade with another civ, that's a big penalty. In general, I would still want to trade with the culture leader. However, at least now I do have a few considerations.

1) Duration: If I can trade with a much closer civ (aka much quicker TR)....especially one I already have a lot of influence over, than I might be interested in putting some TRs here. I probably will still lose a bit on tourism, but I'm getting some nice bonuses to compensate.

2) Safety: Even if your peaceful with the culture leader, there may be some other civs mucking with your trade. In these cases, a shorter and safer TR may be worth it to you. You are still losing tourism, but not as badly as if they keep getting pillaged. Right now this option is simply not tenable, because not trading with the culture leader is a "waste of time".

3) Culture Leader War: This is the big one. If the culture leader goes on an extended war with you, you are still losing out on a lot of tourism. But the magnitude is now less, as you can trade with others and still impact the culture leader....but still not to the same degree.

Now this change does mean I hit influential with the lesser civs quicker. To which I say....great....finally let me enjoy some bonuses for all of the tourism effort I've been spending! It also does mean that in the rare case you have two very strong culture leaders, the CV becomes easier. To which I also think is a great change, because quite frankly it can become too difficulty right now with several strong culture leaders. If a lot of civs are science heavy....that doesn't really hinder my SV. I still generate the most possible science I can. But with CV I would have to split my main tourism generators (TRs, Musicians) in half to cover everyone....and that's a big big loss. This way....I'm still having to split, its still harder than with 1 culture leader, but to a lesser extent.

To me the key takeaway is... CVs are a little more normalized. If the whole world is playing nice, the TR changes don't matter that much, but now your getting less percentile bonuses. So I would expect a CV in this state to be harder.

If the world is getting mean, especially the culture leader, you now have ways to compensate. These CVs should be a bit easier, but certainly not "easy".

MidnightAfterglow and Txurce like this.