Japan: Artistry or Fealty?

gabrielsfarias

Chieftain
What would you do in this situation?

Difficulty is Prince, because I'm a noob and it's already extremely hard :lol:

Religion: Earth Mother + Transcendent Thoughts + Scholarship + Creativity + Inquisition.

Communitu map, Large, standard speed

I got what was available to my best judgement, but I suspect Montezuma is on the other continent running away with the war beliefs, and probably the Maya with science stuff. I'm still land locked and will have to force my way to either side to get some exit to the sea. Probably will have to conquer Morocco and/or India and Persia, but that's not a concern now.

So I'm in doubt, should I go with Fealty or try Artistry? If I go Fealty do I have to spread like crazy to get religious authority and tourism bonus from religion? I intend to cheese all my neighbours to settle cities around me so I can conquer and raze them, although I dont have any bonus for conquering cities. I had this idea since I did this with France in another past game and it worked like a charm, to the point I didn't have Great Work slots available at some point, is it possible here, or is a waste of time without Hero Worship?

Also, if anybody can point me how can I upload the save file if it's of any help?

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2022-10-28 012447.png
    Captura de tela 2022-10-28 012447.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Captura de tela 2022-10-28 013829.png
    Captura de tela 2022-10-28 013829.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 103
What was your first social policy?

I like tradition into artistry, but with progress I would probably take fealty.

What was your first social policy?

I like tradition into artistry, but with progress I would probably take fealty.
I went Authority. My initial idea was to stay at war the maximum time possible to proc on Oda's ability, but no Hero Worship makes things more difficult. I'm making 67 base culture per turn, so I don't think it's enough for Artistry, as per your guide.

Then I'd take Fealty, because it's better for wide empires and you probably want to conquer a lot.

I went Authority. My initial idea was to stay at war the maximum time possible to proc on Oda's ability, but no Hero Worship makes things more difficult. I'm making 67 base culture per turn, so I don't think it's enough for Artistry, as per your guide.
Yea I'd go with Fealty here. You do get bonus yields for conquering cities because you have authority, so I think you have the right strategy.

Ah nice. I wanted to know the thoughts of folks here, it seems I assessed the situation correctly then. I guess I could go Tradition if my neighbours weren't so close, or does it depends more on terrain? Progress is definitely out of question.

Fealty in general is good for wide, you also get to purchase monasteries which is good both for wide and food/science starved authority.

Ah nice. I wanted to know the thoughts of folks here, it seems I assessed the situation correctly then. I guess I could go Tradition if my neighbours weren't so close, or does it depends more on terrain? Progress is definitely out of question.
With Japan I would default to taking authority.

Remove the NW fix mod. I fixed it better in VP.

Fealty in general is good for wide, you also get to purchase monasteries which is good both for wide and food/science starved authority.
My main problem by far in last two games with Japan is culture. For some reason I struggle to get policies for wonders, regardless of fealty or artistry (tried both). There must be something with the civ's gameplay I'm missing.

Just giving a quick update after another failed game. I coudn't make the civ's ability work like it's intended to. I don't know if a war weariness of 22 is high, but I kept 2 other civs at war for the maximum time possible, I guess, including vassalized one of them. My happiness was floating around 51-74% thanks to locking growth, but the war effort in the desert against Morocco (with infinite money buying units), and Ottomans on the other side running away with the congress made me retire. I'll give a full report of my findings later.

Just giving a quick update after another failed game. I coudn't make the civ's ability work like it's intended to. I don't know if a war weariness of 22 is high, but I kept 2 other civs at war for the maximum time possible, I guess, including vassalized one of them. My happiness was floating around 51-74% thanks to locking growth, but the war effort in the desert against Morocco (with infinite money buying units), and Ottomans on the other side running away with the congress made me retire. I'll give a full report of my findings later.
22 ww is low (unless the very early game), in my recent game I was up to 100 unhappy from war weariness and everything is then put into keep afloat above 35%, preferably a bit higher so spies dont kill you.

22 ww is low (unless the very early game), in my recent game I was up to 100 unhappy from war weariness and everything is then put into keep afloat above 35%, preferably a bit higher so spies dont kill you.
Lower than 40% overall and my units deal irrelevant damage, 3-4 attacks to kill a single enemy unit. Not acceptable to me, let alone the risk a city revolts (happened twice - downhill from there).

Top Bottom