Japan - Hojo Tokimune Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Two UUs would favour a Civ with a strong expansion and military focus.
    Traditionally in the series those are the Greeks, Romans, Germans, Mongols, Ottomans, Aztec or Zulu.
    The Zulu don't really have much to offer in the UU field apart from the Impi. So it's not them.
    The Aztec while warmongers can offer more interesting options in the UB/UI area.
    The Germans already began migrating towards a more economic focus in BNW. Doubt they will go back to the military focus.
    The Greeks will probably get some other specialization this time. Especially if Firaxis decides to replace Alexander with somebody else and since Greece offer more interesting design choices than just being another warmonger.
    That leaves us with the Mongols, Romans and Ottomans as the likeliest two UU civilizations. Of course point could be made that these three civs could easily work with only one UU or have a non-militaristic focus.

2. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Romans could have forum, so not necessarily 2 UU's

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

America has 2 UU and it's more a cultural civ than a conqueror

4. Haig

Haig Deity

It's also about a leader choice, which leaders could have "own" unit.

Mehmet II could have gigantic siege bombard, Napoleon could have Imperial guards etc.

5. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it strikes me that the Electronics Factory might work a but like Civ V German Unique Building Hanse... With the addition of culture as well as production bonuses.

6. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

For what it's worth I love the Divine Wind UA.

Number one, if Japan is on islands almost all land gives them a bonus.

If they are nestled against a continental coast. They can turtle, grow, and go conquering other coasts later

They island hop and colonies as well.

If you are not on the coast then make your way there! It's just like Mongolia. If you start with 2 horses, well you better be damned sure your next city is next to 4. Go out and fight your way to the coast!!!

Even on Pangaea, there's still going to be expansive coastline to settle and pillage in the late game.

If you despise geography based bonuses then you reduce civ down to very Generic and bland percentage based boosts here and there for civ.

On top of that every civ seems to have geography based UAs. So on certain maps, some civs will be stronger than others

7. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

Also i am kinda interested whether "adjacent district" bonus takes into account districts from other cities or not. For example, if i have 3 cities within 4 tiles of each other in a triangle and each places a campus in the middle so each campus is adjacent to two others - will they get the same bonus as if they were placed adjacent to two other districts from parent city?

8. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

I'm going to guess that they do get bonuses from districts of other cities because that would be cool and simple. No reason for it nit to work that way.

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I can think of one right off: it could encourage tightly packing cities close together.

10. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

I don't see that as a problem though. If you want to tightly knit your cities together then that just leaves more open space for others. I think tight building should be an option if you get a bad map roll. Let's you make the best out of a bad start.

11. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I think city distance is greater than in civ V... 5 as opposed to 3. With max 12 districts that leaves a lot of room to expand before city districts are touching those of other cities.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

The min. distance is unchanged. We've seen cities 3 tiles apart just like in Civ 5.

13. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Thanks for clarifying.

14. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

Given that it's a production boost I thought they could have called it the Kaizen Factory or something along those lines. Calling it Electronics Factory sound awfully... topical. I mean, they're known for their electronics, sure - but the manufacturing prowess of "the Japanese method" is was really realised through car manufacturing, not electronics.

15. Janskey

Janskey Prince

Well, at least they should include Kozure Okami as a great work.

16. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

ok, so let's take 3 cities placed 5-6 hexes away from each other.

If each drops a district in their 3rd ring, and that 3rd ring location happens to be right next to the other 2 cities 3rd ring districts...

17. m15a

m15a Emperor

That's the main scenario that I think might be a problem. Clustered districts in tightly packed cities make sense with limited space, but building all of your districts in a huge cluster far away from city centers seems too artificial and not what the design intends anyway. Imagine the science focused strategy was to build 3 equidistant city centers and the make a triangle of science districts at the center and surround that triangle with whatever districts - really goes against the map-focused design philosophy of the game.

It's probably a non-issue though because geography is a big constraint in city placement (relative to early Civs where you could easily build cities in a grid) and the bonus is smaller than the some terrain adjacency bonuses. Anyway, it'd be a lot of work and the player could just ignore that strategy.

18. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

From screenshot it seems that 3 tiles between 2 cities are the minimum.

19. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

I'm pretty confident that Japanese pop culture is more worthy of inclusion than Japanese business practices.

20. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Meh, 90% of all great works will again come from few big particular* West European countries :rolleyes:

*-England, France, Benelux, Germany, Italy.
    To much lesser extent: Spain and Russia.

Who cares about the remaining 95% of humanity