Japan - Hojo Tokimune Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jun 20, 2016.

1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Its not a production boost. Its a cultural boost on a production building.

2. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

I boosts production and culture.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I'd be surprised. In Civ5, it felt like more than half the great musicians were Chinese or Japanese, and a good portion of the great writers were Arab or Persian. As an English literature major, I actually wouldn't mind more references to great English-language literature--and they'd make my day by including Lebanese-American Kahlil Gibran, who happens to be my favorite poet.

4. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Civs should be loaded up with as many of their own great people/works as possible, and after running out it goes to your culture group (if it's still kept for art styles) before just picking whatever's left. This would simulate migration becoming more prominent later as well.

5. Magil

Magil Monarch

But part of the charm of Civilization is building the Pyramids in ancient China, as well as having Albert Einstein discover the secrets of Mathematics in Beijing.

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

According to this list, about 4 out of 70 of the great musicians were Chinese or Japanese - that's 5.7%. So, it might have seemed that more than half were while way less than half actually were.

7. oedali

oedali King

So is Hojo a "big personality" like Teddy and the other leaders? I see much debate about the bonuses but not on the leader himself. Can someone fill us in on Japanese history

8. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

Certainly worthy of the honour. :goodjob:

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

He told the biggest empire on earth to go stuff itself then fended off two invasions.

10. oedali

oedali King

Nice :)

11. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

Actually, it seems that nature was on Japan's side. Both times the Mongols invaded Japan they were struck by a typhoon, causing them to withdraw. It may be the reference to "divine wind", or kamikaze, as the winds that caused the typhoons were divine and saved them.

Anyway, does anyone know why they didn't just use Emperor Meiji as the leader? He was the reason for the Meji Restoration to begin with. I guess they are trying to use all bits of a civ's history?

12. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Chalking it up to just the typhoons is underselling the achievement of Japan's victories. I'm pretty sure in the first war the Typhoon didn't actually hit until the mongol forces were actually attempting to retreat from Japan, thereby destroying their forces entirely.

I can't speak to the second invasion specifically, but I do know that the Japanese legitimately defeated the mongols in numerous battles across both wars. Typhoons or not, I don't believe the mongols would have won either war. Well, they didn't win the first one, and I'm pretty sure they were losing the second one when the typhoon struck as well.

13. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

1) Well, yes and no, the wind did help, but fighting was still done and done successfully. Apart from that, making adoption of Zen Buddhism - or any kind of religion, really - in a single generation among the large part of population a thing you have to have some serious negotiation skills and personality

2) Meiji - with all due respect - was NOT the reason for Meiji restoration - he was a symbol, powerful symbol, but reason for MR was realization by many daimyo and intellectuals of Japan's actual weakness and backwaterness (is this even a word?) and that it needed a radical reform. I mean, Meiji was a competent ruler without a doubt, but he was 15 y.o. when MR happened.

14. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. The Japanese warriors fought against them valiantly. But having a typhoon deter and then another one destroy definitely helps. Another reason was simply due to their location as an island off of the mainland. All different factors, but having divine wind at your side is not a bad thing! :D

I appreciate the insight on Japanese history!

15. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Weird. Either I noticed the Chinese/Japanese musicians more, or my game has a really strange spawn bias. :/ Of course, after all these years of playing, I met Harald for the first time in a game a few weeks ago, yet can't seem to play a game without the Zulu, Venice, and Brazil showing up. :rolleyes:

16. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

OIC. Then I guess they should have made it a manga workshop or something :lol:

17. nunor

nunor King

I recall someone in this forum mentioning that Japan is ultra sensitive about depictions of members of the current ruling dynasty. If that is true, it may have been one of the reasons they didn't go for him.

18. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

"Current" is quite wrong word here. Formally Japan was ruled by Yamato through the whole Japanese history.

19. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Indeed, the Yamato Dynasty has ruled Japan since its foundation. Unlike China, which has had more than a dozen dynasties.

20. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It's a lot easier to keep dynasties intact when they're figureheads; the Japanese Emperor didn't actually rule Japan for the vast majority of Japanese history. The folks who actually ruled the country (the Sessho, Shogun, etc.) have had nearly as many "dynasties" as the Chinese. Fujiwara, Taira, Minamoto, Hojo, Ashikaga, Tokugawa...