Japan sucession game

I should throw in before I go to sleep tonight that this was about the most stressfull 20 turns of Civ III I've ever played! At one point, we had 0 gold and were running a -11 per turn deficit. That's frightening in a different way than a stack of 20 calavry riding towards your territory. Our city maintenance had essentially outproduced our infrastructure - after I figured this out I could fix the problem. But for like 10 minutes I had NO idea why we were broke or how to get out of it. Talk about nervousness! I hope none of you have to go through something like this on your turns! :king:

Wow! Really challenging game... I like that

The time? 410 a.d.. The place? A vast expanse of rice paddies outside of Nagoya. A trio of chanting buddhist monks move slowly through the fields, searching, searching. For what? The Chosen one.

After three hundred years of hakojin rule by the wise, clever, but o so european Sulla the Great part 2, the country cries out for a home grown leader. The monks, here in this paddy, are just a fingernail clipping of the vast search going on, country wide for the next leader.

The monks stop, mesmerized, as they stare at the young japanese youth neglecting his rice paddy duties (whatever they are) in favor of devouring the latest edition of "Go! Online." You are the one, they say. Our new leader! How may we address you?

The boy stands, brushing off various rice detritus, and speaks. "Me? Why, Andy-shima, of course!"

410 a.d.: I take a look at our empire. Quite a change from 1500 b.c.. Good work all! Our favorite roman has put courthouses in numerous slow growin towns, I switch some of these out for spears. EEE! many cities have only warriors. Ook.
f11 displays our capitol, Kyoto, as STILL the world's ichi-ban city! The histogram shows we are ni-ban, numba 2, behind the persians, 354 to their 380.
We are three turns from currency at +1 per turn. Three turns at 0 science give us 17 per turn. Zulus will sell us currency at 43 gold. I divide by seven, carry the three, . . . heck, i hate this math stuff! It **feels** cheaper to buy it from the zulus than to research it ourselfs. I get it, set research to 0 for three turns, and move on into Andy-shima's glorious reign. . . .

420 a.d.: We start a new age. I choose to research feudalism, gimme those pikemen! Feudalism + Monotheism allows us to go for Chivalry which == (everybody together) SAMURAI!!! So, I humbly suggest we do whatever we can to get the ability to build that unit now we are only 3 tecks away!
Kyoto gets aqueduct (whoopee!) change to spear. I move some other units around, need some defensive units to send with our intrepid settler, bonnie prince meiji, who was brainwashed into implementing "Sulla's Mad Plan."

430 a.d.: Russians and French are building great lighthouse, babs are going for the hanging gardens. I think we're going to be involved in a cascade here, cause Sekigahara is still, what, 19 turns from lighthouse itself. If we can't get it, we need something to fall back on, and it appears sun tzu (feudalism) may be it.
Contact the Rooshans, Catherine offers us 19 gp and her map for currency, I take it and run. Numerous folks have monotheism, but at 11 gpt plus a lump sum its just too much for our poor empire right now. The americans give us 10 gp and 1 gpt for currency, so I guess the deal with the Zulu was worth it.
In mid-turn, Rincon demands 16 gold! Baka!! What to do, what to do. I hit the enter key, sidestepping the demand, and no declaration of war yet. (Whew.)

440 a.d.: everybody not building great lighthouse now building hanging gardens, including the ugly americans, to the north. Science ratcheted all the way up to the stratospheric . . . 20%, happiness at 10% otherwise I have 4 unhappy citizens in Kyoto, which NEEDS to build a marketplace. . .
AAAA!!! Americans have own Sulla Mad Plan! They found Dallas at ivory spot. This make Andy-shima simmer over with angerness! Samurai, where are you? Rincon, we will get our greater north continent co-prosperity sphere soon!
Many civs have Monarchy, monotheism and feudalism (hanging gardens, and our two chivalry prerequisites) Their price is too high. . .

450 a.d: Still trolling for let's make a tech deal, our treasury is up to the mighty figure of 69 gold, (+6 per turn), but nobody has good prices on anything to sell. . .

460 a.d: picked location for city in the jungle north of satsuma. Mekong will be a gold/resources city, hopefully, someday.

470 a.d.: Ghandi sells us Monarchy for 45 gold. Building roads like crazy. Hooking up dye to empire.

480 a.d.: we found Fill-in-atsu to fill in some of the blank spots of the empire. Hooked up gems to the empire. Our galley explores the world.

490 a.d.: We're off on the road to . . Mekong? Through the deepest, darkest jungle.

500 a.d.: Infrastructure, infrastructure, everywhere, but not a unit to fight with! As soon as we've got some marketplaces, we really need to build some more spears, etc.

510 a.d.: Persia demands 16 gold and our world map. Since they're close, buy, I say, okey dokey, but just you wait!

520 a.d.: Building some swords, just in case. Our neighbors are saber rattling.

530: a.d.: move them workers!

550 a.d.: The industrious japanese were so busy, they skipped a decade! More infrastructure, no trades, as our galley continues to explore the known world.

560 a.d.: Building a harbor in Osaka, at last, to trade our stuff with other civs

570 a.d.: Tired of not getting any technology, Andy-shima goes shopping at the zulu zaibatsu mall, and (ulp!) picks up monotheism for the mere cost of 11 gpt and some change.
Well, we'll have some belt tightening, you know, but that rincon guy is looking mighty ugly, and so are the babs. The closer we get to our samurai unit, the better i'll feel!

580: Here comes the cascade. Russians build lighthouse. Crud, we were only 2 turns away! Sekigahara switched to Hanging Gardens! We begin Chivalry! 22 turns to our UU!

590: We build the gardens. The people rejoice. The palace is added on. Cooked rice is eaten on seaweed. Banzai!

600 a.d.: we can trade with the Rooshans! But their spices cost too much, and they're not offering enough for the horses. Maybe later.

610 a.d.: With a whoosh and a sigh, the reign of Andy-shima, that golden Go-playing guy, is over. The next great leader will have an opportunity to build, er, great leaders! Once the samurai are created.

Go Nippon Go!

Ok, so my task will be to go military? macro all i can and build cities where there is space?

Any suggestion before I beggin ? You now have 7 hours :D

Another thing

I know everybody is anxious to try out the new patch (tomorow!!) but I think we should finish this game before anybody patch their game.... just in case that screw up our mighty empire:confused:

I think I could have handled Osaka better. :(

It's the site of Colosssus, and there ain't no aqueduct! :crazyeyes

I built a harbor there, and current construction is a marketplace. Suggestion: switch out to aqueduct, rush build that if you can. Osaka has the dolphin squares, currently unused, and if we can build the pop up there will be extra research + money + good stuff.

Shoulda caught that in my turn; I guess I gotta stop playin at midnight! ;)

Anyway, the empire looked extra great at the start of my turn, thanks to Sulla's excellent management. Lazzycake, go get 'em!

:king:

Hmm, think we should build atleast 2 cities north (actually, northwest and northeast) of Satsuma as a buffer? I also read that you can confuse the AI by having units leave one city, and the enemy units will go there. Put the units back, and take units out of another, and the enemy will go there instead. It's kind of done in real life (I heard about a similar tatic on the History Channel - make the enemy think you're weak where you really have tons of troops. Or, would this be too much of an exploit?

Can't wait for the samurai!

Banzai! :D

edit:
Ok, now I see Mekong. Mekong? Where'd they get that name from? :) Probably when Japan invaded Korea or China...

This is my first succession game and I can't play :cry:

Sorry guys, can't play till monday so just get a new player and contynu wthout me....

Think my life dno't go with these game :p

Good luck!

When Sulla's Mad Scheme fell through there was still this lonely settler, in the middle of the jungle, north of Satsuma. :rolleyes:

Settling in jungle clears your settle square. There was this nice spot, just south of a gold deposit. . .but jungle all around. When the name of the new City came up, I felt we needed some jungle sounding name! Kago-tokyo-shimonoseki-ishi didn't cut it!
:sheep:

So (and it was near midnight, remember) all I could think of was Francis Ford Coppola, Apocalypse Now, Robert Conrad, and Heart of Darkness, you know, southeast asia. Thus, Mekong was born.

:enlighten

Is anybody thinking about forbidden palace? Next hundred turns we might want to figure out a good site for it.

So, who's playing it now?

BTW, could someone put a list of who's turn it is?

As I understand the turn order, we're going this way:

Attachtatuk
Chieftess
Sulla
AndyB
LazzyCake

It's LazzyCake's turn, but since he's unavailable, I guess it's Attachtatuk's game!

:goodjob:

I have the game so if you want to tell my some tips its now

think that building forbiden palace at choke point would be a good idea.(less corruption both side of it)

And BTW does it gonna do something to our game if we install new patch ?

And for Lazzy Cake : if you comfirm us you'll be back monday u could come back in the game.

wish me good luck !

I also believe that turn order is correct. We should definitely think about a location for Forbidden Palace soon, probably centrally located in empire so we can move palace later if desired. I suggest building up samurai to attack, but don't start a war unless we can win it - and that means a good 20-30 samurai on hand to blitz the enemy. When we win a battle with samurai we will get our golden age - I suggest we use it to (1) get ahead of the other civs in tech (2) build key wonders in large/developed cities (suggested: Sistine, Bach's, etc.) (3) develop infrastructure in small cities to make them useful. For now though, it's more peaceful expansion and military buildup (yawn) You're up next Attachtatuk :king:

Originally posted by Sullla
, but don't start a war unless we can win it :king:

WOW we wont be able to fight till 1900 AC;)

I have a question about those two Persian towns in our territory, and culture flipping. Are those two towns going to stick there, or will the culture fipping eventually set in? The only time I had an enemy city flip to my civ was in Civ1, and that only happened once! (half way across the map)

To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't flipped yet. They will likely go in the next succession turn. I'm not too entralled with culture flips right now because in my current single player game I am conducting a brilliant military campaign against the Romans, only to have cities far behind my lines revert back against me. Looks like the only solution is to raze them all to the ground.... :( I'm very glad that the patch is fixing this, as I don't exactly like the fact that the current version of the game forces you to commit genocide in warfare.

I know the last few times I played the Persians (or read about them), they always had a high culture rating...

Anyway, should we upgrade to 1.17f? (seems like a lot of stuff for a .01 increment. It should be more like 1.20-1.25). :)

I read about the patch and current game saves here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16387

Sorry guys I have not finished my turn and its friday night so ......

I wont be able to finish it till tomorow afternoon.

I'll try to be quick

BTW we are 2nd, so we're not bad at all !!!:goodjob:

Top Bottom