Japan sucession game

Really sorry guys really busy this weekend so if somebody want the game take it and if nobody take it till tomorow ill finish it

Unless Chieftess is on hand to pick up the game, I don't see any reason we can't just wait for you to have some free time attachtatuk. Of course if you're going to be busy for more than another day or so, one of us should probably play a turn. In any case, we also might want to consider getting the 1.17 patch for this game soon, with all its improvements. Opinions?

attachtatuk can play a round if he's not busy. I don't have the patch yet, but should we upgrade?

I'm not doing anything much tomorrow, so if attachtatuk can't play, I'll take over, or who ever's next in line.

I have heard that it is possible to play 1.16f saves with 1.17 - but I don't think it's compatible the other way. Apparently there is a way to keep switching back and forth between the new patch and the older version by installing various stuff, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth. So patching is pretty much a one shot deal - we make a decision as a group to switch over, and then all turns from that point on are played with the patch. By the way, I'll throw in that I'm just sitting around here and can play whenever the turn gets around to me, if others are too busy/have more of a life than me :D

:rolleyes:

I think we oughta install a 24 hour rule: if its your turn, post within 24 hours you have the game, and then you have another 24 hours to play.

If we don't hear from you, you're skipped this time.

I think Chieftess oughta take her turn. Even though it's Attachtatuk's game, he said we should go ahead. :confused:

As far as the patch is concerned, I vote for installing it.

I was just looking at some of the v1.17f patch posts, and some people seemed to have had problems with it. If we install it, it'll take awhile for me to put it on my other computer (one million bytes at a time. :D - My network isn't working, so I have to use the good old fashioned "cut and paste" method).

BTW, I was just playing the Japanese civ on Chieftain mode and came across an odd bug (which caused the game to crash) when there were several "We love XYZ day". I just hope that doesn't happen in the SG. :)

I agree with AndyB - this game is starting to stall too much. We should skip attachtatuk since he's obviously too busy right now (no offense intended :D ) and Chieftess should play the next turn. I will install the patch before my turn and then from that point on we will use the 1.17 version - this will give Chieftess plenty of time to install the patch using cut and paste. I don't want to sit here and dictate how the game should go, but right now this game is sort of in limbo and we need to get it started going again. :king:

Ok, here I go. (using v1.16f)

My turns have been quite uneventful and peaceful. :) Anyway, should we be willing to trade Chivalry? (to the French for Theology, which we are currently researching). Doing so would bump us into learning Education, which cancels the effects of the Great Library. Should we go for it?

I say that is your call - generally speaking, in most succession games there is discussion about what to do only between turns; if all decisions are made collectively, we wouldn't have the "fun" of disagreeing and vetoing each other's decisions :D So my opinion is that you go with whatever seems the best decision at the moment, and if it turns out bad, then at least we'll learn something from this game, which is more or less the point of succession games. Good luck! :cool:

Who else has Chivalry? are we the only ones?
I would cast around and if other civs have it, definitely sell it to whoever you can for whatever we can get, preferably gold per turn. :lol:

I'd sell, sell, sell. :goodjob:

Can we not research things other than education? I'd do that first. I would NOT research education -- if that's the only thing left, set research to zero, pile on the yen, and buy the technology!

We'll get education through the great library soon enough. Maximize the GL while it's still useful! :cool:

That was a nice set of rounds. :)

610 AD (Inherited turn) - After a lengthy change of leadership, which seemed like mere minutes, a new shogunate, the Nakawara Shogunate, rose to power. Nakawara's reign will oversee the development of Chivalry, which will allow for a new unit called the Samurai! Blacksmiths and generals from all over the land are being gathered to work on new weapons and tatics. Some micromanagement was done to increase production and income.

An assessment of our military shows that we are somewhere in the middle of the pack. We are weak to the Persians, French and Babylonians. We are average to the Americans, Zulus, and Indians. We are strong compared to the Russians. The Zulus have the right of passage agreement with everyone except us. My culture advisor tells me that Babylon is impressed by our culture, and that we should build improvements such as Sun Tzu, libraries and cathedrals.

Our science researchers will aim for education after Chivalry, as that will cancel the effects of the Great Library.

620 AD - (1)

Troop and worker movement

630 AD - (2)

Tokyo starts work on the Sun Tzu Art of War! More unit movement.

640 AD - (2)

Our cultural is expanding and is starting to crowd in the two Persian cities!

650 AD - (3)

More movement. Cities are starting to build barracks, Pike-men, and swordsmen.

660 AD - (4)

One swordsmen is complete, and is moving north.

670 AD - (5)

Troop movement, and some improvements built.

680 AD - (6)

Galley found the Persian border. Pike-men, cultural improvements, and infrastructure are being built.

690 AD - (7)

Workers continue working.

700 AD - (8)

Workers continue working.

710 AD - (9)

Fill-in-atsu builds barracks, and starts on the Pike-men. Workers continue working. Chivalry in 8 turns!

720 AD - (10)

Americans build Los Angeles and Cleveland to the north! Our one swordsman backs out of the way. With Chivalry only turns away, is war imminent? Science temporarily pushed up to learn Chivalry in 5 turns.

730 AD - (11)

My military advisor tells me that the Persians fear our swordsmen, but vastly outnumber us. In a recent diplomatic move, both sides withdrew their units from each other's territories.

740 AD - (12)

Workers continue working. Troop Movement.

750 AD - (13)

Workers continue working. Troop Movement.

760 AD - (14)

Indian galley spotted to the north of Nagasaki. Chivalry in one turn! Science reduced back to normal.

770 AD - (15)

BANZAI!!!! KISHIDOU GA UKETA!!!!!!! CHIVALRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Our people love us so much, that artisans and architects have added an addition to our palace! The French and Babs are also building the Sistine Chapel. Many cities are now producing Samurai!

780 AD - (16)

Barrack production finished in a few cities, and production changed to Samurai!

790 AD - (17)

Samurai production continues. Galley spots the Babylonian border! Perhaps we can entice the babs to go to war with the Persians? Then again, everyone is getting rather feisty about not having Monotheism.

800 AD - (18)

Palace expanded. Zulus are building the Sistine Chapel.

810 AD - (19)

Traded Chivalry with the French for Theology. This will let us research Education, thus rendering Persia's Great Library obsolete. The American's have also built San Diego north of Mekong! They sure are expansion-happy! The first Samurai was built in Kyoto! Kyoto automatically switches to the Sistine Chapel.

820 AD - (20)

Troop and worker movement.

After a 210 year reign, it is the end of the Nakawara Shogunate! The air is still with anticipation, and the sound of mighty blades being forged can be heard throughout the land. Perhaps this era of peace was just the calm before the storm. The Imperial Japanese Army is just beginning to stir...

Here's the map (zipped) of our world now. I'm not sure if we can claim that one resource by building a road and colony... and we'll have to stop the American advance. :)

Wow, even the zip was larger than 500k!

*sigh* I must be jinxed when it comes to attaching images...

Attachments

• j1.gif
    j1.gif
    286 KB · Views: 172
And the bottom half....

Attachments

• j2.gif
    j2.gif
    293.2 KB · Views: 174
Wow - I didn't think the Americans would expand that fast. I've got the game and will play and post in the next few hours. I will evaluate whether we are strong enough to risk war or not; my guess is that we are one turn away from it. Here goes! :king:

I didn't start a war with anyone, but we are in position now to go very hard on anyone we want; I have a target picked out, so read the summary for details!

Unlike past times of government change, there was no period of chaos as the Japanese exchanged their leaders this time. The Japanese Republic peacefully elected a candidate to the presidency, and Mr. Toragashu was ready to be installed as the new leader of the nation. The day of the inauguration ceremony saw a shocking turn of events however, as the foreigner Sulla landed on the eastern coast of Japan and advanced to Kyoto with a massive force of samurai under his disposal. Where he got them, or more importantly where Sulla had been for the last 800 years remained a mystery. Sulla was "elected" president in the emergency elections called the following week. The people grumbled over the resumed dictatorship of a 3000yr old man but could do little to upset his complete control of power.

Now for the turn by turn:

(0) 820AD Let the vetoing of other decisions begin! I check the military advisor screen and determine that we have an average military compared to most civs, a weaker one than the Persians, French, and Zulus, and a stronger one than the Russians (wow - big surprise). Since all civs except the backwards ones already have Chivalry I trade it plus 100 gold to the Babylonians for their world map. I know it's pricey - but by now the computer will have filled in the whole world through trading of maps and they would have gotten the tech in a few turns anyway from another civ. Presto - we can now see the whole world. The whole world is one continent, although its the most convoluted one I've ever seen. We need money badly - let's give ROP to nations that will never reach our lands. Hmm... we only have one embassy, and the Zulus want us to give THEM gold for ROP? Not likely! Actually, all other civs are broke at this point, so nothing can be done trading. We are not ready to fight at this time, by any means. Sulla sets a goal of 20 samurai by the end of his rule. Some changing of workers to get better production. We have bad infrastructure, but I reluctantly conclude that the best option is to build up a strong military and steal land from others, then use our golden age to catch up on city development. Therefore, cities are set to max production, ignore libraries and other such cultural developments. Babylon is so close to us that they appear a better target to attack - we'll see.

(1) 830AD I see a samurai on goto - don't do this in succession games! I understand it was going to the American border, but as a general rule of thumb don't automate workers or use this command in a SG.

(3) 850AD Xerxes demands 19 gold and territory map. Since we are pretty close to Persia, they're a lot stronger, and it's a pretty reasonable demand, we give it to them.

(5) 870AD Sulla wonders why the Persian cities have not defected to us - we've got a lot of cultural pressure on them.

(6) 880AD We run a deficit to research Education faster - if we get it first we can broker it for lots of money - unless the other civs remain broke....

(9) 910AD With the production of our 6th samurai, our people opt to expand the palace! Sulla adds some properly Roman columns to the Eastern architecture. :D The Russians are so backwards they don't even have Theology? Well, since they will NEVER build the Sistine Chapel on that worthless hunk of ice, we will gladly give it to them for 20 gold and 2/turn.

(13) 950AD The Persians complete Sun Tzu; everyone switches to Sistine. It's doubtful we'll get that one...
Tokyo placed on palace PLACEHOLDER.

(14) 960AD Predictably, the Zulus complete Sistine this turn. Cascade stopped in all computer civs though - that's extremely good news. Immense wincing as Kyoto wastes 175 shields on samurai (I should have predicted this at the beginning of my turn - there was no way we would get either of those wonders. Damn it) Time to research education has dropped to 1 turn. That means all other civs already have it. They didn't have it 2 turns ago. No brokering the tech. Damn it again.

(15) 970AD We learn Education. I choose Music Theory so we can get Bach's cathedral; we can get Education and Invention from the AI when we conclude a successful war. It takes 14 turns at 40% science; we will have almost enough shields for it in Tokyo at that time. The Persian city Ergili defects to us (finally!) Too bad it's permanent size 2 until we get some irrigation on our continent (not any time soon).

(17) 990AD We establish an embassy with the Americans in order to better relations and facilitate the trading of luxuries. They are broke and will not give us anything but their world map - why won't the AI trade a luxury for a luxury? They seem offended by the thought that we could deal on an even basis. Apparently the whole world is broke at the moment, so there's little we can do to trade. Their capital sucks big time too :D

(18) 1000AD Zulus demand territory map and gold. Sulla looks at his ranks of samurai and tells Shaka where he can shove it. They back down from war, which frankly we didn't want either. World map given to get them back to polite.

(19) 1010AD Russians still need Education? Better get what we can from it now. It's sent to them with furs and 50 gold for Engineering. I check every civ - only Persia, Zululand, and (now) Russia have more than 0 gold. Why the hell are they so poor? We can't get rich off of trade if they're too poor to trade. Oh well... I should comment that this is the slowest tech progress I've ever seen on Regent - must be because the land is so poor and there isn't much of it - I think we're on an 80% water map.

(20) 1020AD We have 17 samurai and, as of next turn, 3 galleys on our eastern coast. Sulla falls just short of his goal, but remains confident nontheless, as that many samurai will cut a mighty swath through any foe.

Sulla departs at the end of his reign for parts unknown. The Japanese rejoice at the end of a foreigner's government. Sulla leaves behind his army of samurai to "keep the peace" while he is gone. There is considerably less rejoicing.

I evaluated whether to attack America or Babylonia, and it seems pretty decisive that we should go after the latter. The main US cities are so far away it will take an eternity to get there even with samurai, and we would be dangerously exposed to attack even if we succeed in an attack. On the contrast, the Babylonians are practically in our backyard across a very narrow sea and they have great land with 2 new luxuries in them that we could take. We could get Persia to attack with us if needed and absolutely crush them under a wave of Immortals and Samurai (ouch :cool: )
I left the ultimate decision up to the next ruler, but let me just say that there's a stack of 15 samurai on our east coast and three galleys ready for transport.... :king:

I should mention that I did not think to patch the game, so this save is still 1.16f. Anyone who wants to patch in the future should do so before it gets around to me again. Here's a picture of the army of samurai:

Attachments

• 1020ad zoom.jpg
    1020ad zoom.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom