Japan

About the unit purchase, you mean the units that require a barracks (e.g. Horsemen)? That would make sense in a technical way, but should be "fixed" once you research the tech that updates them to the medieval version. I never had problems purchasing medieval units with a Dojo in the city.

Autocracy is still a good isolationist Ideology due to Autarky (internal trade routes grant +10 :c5gold: gold, city connection grants +3 :c5production: production). You can also keep some vassals for exporting corporations, as they aren't a cultural threat by that point; no need to defend yourself against their tourism.

Your post reminds me, Japan's UA doesn't reduce tourism received from foreign Historical Events. Maybe the -50% :tourism: could affect that? It shouldn't need any change in the UA wording and should make it actually useful against Arabia/Aesthetics/Futurism.

Your post reminds me, Japan's UA doesn't reduce tourism received from foreign Historical Events. Maybe the -50% :tourism: could affect that? It shouldn't need any change in the UA wording and should make it actually useful against Arabia/Aesthetics/Futurism.

I can do that, yeah.

About the unit purchase, you mean the units that require a barracks (e.g. Horsemen)? That would make sense in a technical way, but should be "fixed" once you research the tech that updates them to the medieval version. I never had problems purchasing medieval units with a Dojo in the city.

Autocracy is still a good isolationist Ideology due to Autarky (internal trade routes grant +10 :c5gold: gold, city connection grants +3 :c5production: production). You can also keep some vassals for exporting corporations, as they aren't a cultural threat by that point; no need to defend yourself against their tourism.

I suspect you are right. I'll have to double-check what I did, but I may have tried buying a unit that hasn't been updated to the medieval version. And oddly enough your post reminds me of something as well! With the new Tourism changes, has anyone tested out Futurism? I feel like the changes might have buffed Futurism and make it worthwhile if you're playing as Japan.

My experience with Futurism is:

Worthwhile? Yes. The Authority/Piety/Imperialism/Autocracy path generates a lot of great military and cultural people, and win wars, that you get enough historic events to justify this tenet. I'm including faith purchases in it.

Priority? Low. I think Autocracy has at least 3 more important level 1 tenets to choose than Futurism.

I will soon post a (wall of text) feedback about japan but I can already say that, since the last patch, the UA feels really underwhelming unless you burn every cities that you take.
Your ability to generate tourism via historical event has been greatly tackled. For the moment, I hold my breath, I played two games so far, one won ( immortal) one lost (immortal). I like to have extended test periods : my judgement becomes more accurate.

There is no point going Order just for internal trade routes, outside of Ottomans (but even then it debatable). You simply can take another useful level 2 tenet and not waste a slot on a tenet which doesn't provide tangible benefits versus franchising CS/vassal trade routes. Internal TRs could compete with international ones if they gave food and production at the same time.
Technically you can abuse the tenet by picking it after establishing all franchises, but this a "win more" situation and even then only Venice could abuse it at full power (the least likely candidate for Order).

Is it just me, or is Japan one of the weakest civs in game? This conclusion has been reached after many earlier and more up-to-date VP games. Most of them I played against other civs including Japan, and in recent days I've been watching games in observer mode. Japan does appallingly bad in every instance. Not sure why, I never play as Japan, don't know its strengths and weaknesses.
Anyone has similar impression?

EDIT: apologies if I may sound too straightforward negative. I didn't read 13 pages of discussion of the topic, maybe this issue is being worked on or been debunked.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is Japan one of the weakest civs in game? This conclusion has been reached after many earlier and more up-to-date VP games. Most of them I played against other civs including Japan, and in recent days I've been watching games in observer mode. Japan does appallingly bad in every instance. Not sure why, I never play as Japan, don't know its strengths and weaknesses.
Anyone has similar impression?

EDIT: apologies if I may sound too straightforward negative. I didn't read 13 pages of discussion of the topic, maybe this issue is being worked on or been debunked.

Well, they're definitely fine in human hands I think, those promotion yields and GWAMs can really start piling up if you keep fighting, and the Bushido stuff and a quality UU means you'll be great at it.

As for the AI, any warmonger is going to have games where they fall flat and do nothing. The question is, when they succeed, do they do in a way that results in at least a few of those level 7 level 8 units or even in success, is there a bit too much death for that. Not being a watcher of AI games, I can't really answer that.

Well, they're definitely fine in human hands I think, those promotion yields and GWAMs can really start piling up if you keep fighting, and the Bushido stuff and a quality UU means you'll be great at it.

As for the AI, any warmonger is going to have games where they fall flat and do nothing. The question is, when they succeed, do they do in a way that results in at least a few of those level 7 level 8 units or even in success, is there a bit too much death for that. Not being a watcher of AI games, I can't really answer that.

Japan is hit or miss definitely. Overall though they usually do very well.

AI Japan could learn to build more culture, though, they would be quite a challenge for those trying a CV on them. Last game (testing Brazil), I met Japan and China on another continent, by the end of the game, Japan received only 31% of the tourism I managed to send to China. That's a lot of tourism blocked. A pity they only generated a third of China's culture.

Unrelated, but I saw some "Sincerity" "Courage" "Righteousness" popping up in an unrevealed area prior to actually meeting Japan. Does it happen to Indonesia as well?

EDIT: By the way, Japan's UA is affecting Brazil's tourism from the UA, that's nice for them.

Japan ua is too annoying when i am aiming for peace CV. Need some suggestion on this thing. Should i just bomb them with great musician later?

Japan ua is too annoying when i am aiming for peace CV. Need some suggestion on this thing. Should i just bomb them with great musician later?
Probably the best strat. Unless they set up a system of dropping the UA when trading (which wouldn't be accurate since historically Japan was REALLY picky up who to let in AND how much effect they'd have on local culture) I don't think the 'passive approach' is going to work against Japan.

I don't know if it's the map I'm playing ( Planet sim) or this mod or whatever that makes Japan AI behave weird, but he always sticks to 1 city for a long time and somehow puts himself in crippling debt to the point where he makes himself irrelevant. Does anyone else notice this?

I only remember one game where he actually made me quit the game as I couldn't survive. As I was attacked by Greece, I've felt more or less safe as only this civ could've reached me by land and all my units were there as there's no other way to stop strong Spearman UU AI rush. It was going well enough in that front, but Japan actually teched fishing and declared war, taking my other, undefended citiy which made me leeave. Grorious dispray of cunning from Oda, but it wouldn't have been worth it for him. He was IIRC at one-two cities and even though his sneaky ploy I really didn't see coming worked, he was far behind everyone else in city number.

Besides that example, yeah, he is usually awful. At most he is in the middle of the pack whenever I see him, usually way below that. He lacks competence and behaves like a shark trying to find tasty fish in the water to pound on but he is either too shy to do so and then forgets to do other sharky things that sharkiest sharks should do, so he gets outsharked.

Top Bottom