Japanese Culture Victory

Westhau

Chieftain
I'm playing my fourth game of Civ III, and first game at monarch level. Using an entirely random map and civs, I ended up with a huge map and 11 (I think) other civs, and I am the Japanese. After reading the civ review of the Japanese, I decided to go for a cultural victory.

I think it may have been a mistake to go for my first cultural victory and my first monarch game at the same time. I also think I may have not expanded enough early on, and I started out lagging way behind in techs. My culture is doing well though :goodjob: . I recently took over 3 American cities. After I took Washington, they were very willing to hand over the four techs they had that I didn't for a peace treaty (I also had to throw in some gold). What would the best way for me to win this cultural victory be? Is it still attainable? Should I go for 130k or 20k? (Looking at the wonder screen makes things seem a bit grim for my 20k culture :( )

You gain cult. points faster (I've found) by having more cities with improvements (temples, cathedrals, etc.).

Thanks... I think I knew that. I was looking for some of the more subtle details to attaining a cultural victory, and also specifically in my game.

Westhau said:
I was looking for some of the more subtle details to attaining a cultural victory, and also specifically in my game.
I had trouble loading up your game (what version and patch level is it?), but there's not too many subtleties to a 100k/130k/160k win. Just build lots of cities and make sure they all have at least a library and a temple. Obviously you'll want more than that for core cities, but even small, unproductive, faraway cities should have those two and a cathedral if you've got the cash. Basically, that's it. Lots of cities + basic culture buildings = 100k time bomb. After that, it's just a matter of speed - more cities and earlier improvements give you a faster win. But strategically, planning a 100k win isn't very much different from a Space, Domination, or Conquest win - you're aiming for overwhelming power based on a large amount of land and large number of cities.

To give some idea of numbers, I just got an unintentional Monarch 100k win in a game that I had needlessly dragged out in order to practice some invasion and resource control tactics. I had around 50 cities at the end, about 15 of which didn't have a cathedral, and won in the mid-1900's. That was way inefficient because I wasn't really trying for 100k - I still had backwards civs on my home continent that I could easily have expanded into for much less cost in time and gold. I could also have built more cities in some sparsely populated areas within my current borders. I was really just puttering around, because I knew I had the game locked by 1600. Had I been more focussed, I'm pretty sure I'd have had 100k in the early 1800's and that's still without any really dedicated early game strategy.

20k is a completely different story. That requires a very precise early game plan that's far from the usual "expand at all costs" strategy. If you haven't prepared for that at this point, it's not going to happen. Check out the War Academy for T-Hawk's 20k article to get some ideas. From my (admittedly limited) experience, 20k is the hardest victory condition to reach - you absolutely need the right kind of map and starting position, and getting the right civ and opponents is a big help.

I have C3C 1.22. Thanks for the tips. Looking at my game, it looks like I will be the first one to reach the cultural goal, but I am worried about a space victory (or another type), or an AI taking me over before that point. Right now I have no horses, but I am planning to make some big invasions when my UU comes around.

Westhau said:
I have C3C 1.22.
Gotcha, the box I was at didn't have Conquests.
Thanks for the tips. Looking at my game, it looks like I will be the first one to reach the cultural goal...
You'd better be - remember that you need not only 100k, but also double every other civ. If anybody looks close to you on the culture graph, then they need a beatdown.
...but I am worried about a space victory (or another type), or an AI taking me over before that point.
Then those civs need a beatdown, too. Like I said, the simplest 100k victory is very straightforward - punish anyone that threatens you in power or culture, and then just wait for the clock. Compared to a military victory, you probably can be a bit more tolerant of an AI taking the power lead but you can't let it go too far lest your own survival becomes an issue.
Right now I have no horses, but I am planning to make some big invasions when my UU comes around.
w00t! Love the Samurai! Expensive to build, but they're just absolute destroyers as well as giving you a lot of flexibility after a war where they can quickly be reassigned as first-rate defenders.

For culture victories its important to have very many cities, OCP is probably the best city placement plan

Top Bottom