JAR02, Always War Emperor

For our FP city, I've put up a number of options.
All five options have access to all three cows.
Three also have bonus access to the Game tile.
Here's what each one can work at size 12:

Red: Game, 3 Cows, 2 BGs, 1 Hill, 3 Grasslands, and 2 Plains. +27 fpt, +25 spt
Green: Game, 3 Cows, 1 BG, 1 Hill, 1 Tobacco, 3 Grassland, and 2 Plains. +27 fpt, +24 spt
Blue: 3 Cows, 4 BGs, 2 Hills, 1 Tobacco, 2 Grasslands. +28fpt, +26 spt
Black: 3 Cows, 1 BG, 1 Hill, 1 Iron Mountain, 5 Grasslands (2 chops first), 1 Plains. +26 fpt, +25 spt
White: Game, 3 Cows, 3 BGs, 1 Hill, 4 Grasslands. +29 fpt, +24 spt

Fully mined:
center 2/1
Game 2/2
Cows 4/2 or 3/3 (2/1/0)
BG 2/2
Hill 1/3
Grassland 2/1
Plains 1/2

Grey dots are easy choices (plus showing the two cities that fit in if we abandon-and-resettle Kyoto); light grey near Xochi is an alternative to the dark grey next to it. Either spot seems fine for what that neighborhood gives us.
Light green is probably the most important "filler" city in the area; I've highlighted its culture borders as soon as we build it (depending on FP placement, of course).

Edit: My original list was 6 sites, but I dropped it to 5 before posting (the missing option was between the Game and the Cow, and it didn't look promising).

Last edited:
I like blue as it takes in a couple of tundra tiles and is still a potentially powerful city, whilst also totally freeing up the game for another city to benefit from. Admittedly, it is not coastal, but there can be a decent ring of coastal cities surrounding it that will not be overly corrupt and will be able to push out some decent navy., whilst also having the option to steal the odd power tile if necessary to maximise efficiency / minimise waste.

For our FP city, I've put up a number of options.
All six options have access to all three cows.
Four also have bonus access to the Game tile.
Here's what each one can work at size 12:

Red: Game, 3 Cows, 2 BGs, 1 Hill, 3 Grasslands, and 2 Plains. +27 fpt, +25 spt
Green: Game, 3 Cows, 1 BG, 1 Hill, 1 Tobacco, 3 Grassland, and 2 Plains. +27 fpt, +24 spt
Blue: 3 Cows, 4 BGs, 2 Hills, 1 Tobacco, 2 Grasslands. +28fpt, +26 spt
Black: 3 Cows, 1 BG, 1 Hill, 1 Iron Mountain, 5 Grasslands (2 chops first), 1 Plains. +26 fpt, +25 spt
White: Game, 3 Cows, 3 BGs, 1 Hill, 4 Grasslands. +29 fpt, +24 spt
I had placed (your) Black 1S on my dotmap, because that would still close borders with LightGreen (CxxxC), while also converting a coastal Tundra from 1 FPT to 3 FPT (after Monarchy: food excess would later allow us to work the Iron-Mountain, if the FP decorrupts that town sufficiently).

Similarly, although I didn't dotmap a 4th town, moving your Blue 2SE onto the Tundra would increase its FPT and lock up the third Cow (NE of your Black) into our borders, without any need to build Culture (other than the FP, which we need for income, not Culture!).

As for most of the Desert/Plains (Grey dots) or the Tundra, I'm not fussed at all about Settling (any of) them, since they'll be seriously food-poor unless and until we can get them irrigated (either through chain-irrigation from Incaland via Vilcas — if that's even possible — or learning Electricity!).

If we're going for Conquest rather than Domination (are we?), it makes more sense (to me) to pump out primarily military, and place the minimum number of Settlers to use the best tiles available (allowing each founded town to get to Pop12, with a Duct where necessary), rather than placing multiple Settlers to grab all the (crappy) tiles, n'est-ce pas?

Also, if we leave plenty of (marginal) spots unsettled, think of all the AI Settlers we'll be able to bait and enslave (as they trek past our front, or get landed from overseas) — we'll hardly have to build any Workers ourselves...

And FWIW, even though it's on a BG, I (still) like your (and my!) Green for our FP.

Last edited:
I was also contemplating whether we were going for CON or DOM. If we go the conquest route, I think we could find better use of our resources than to ICS (especially without fresh water in sight yet!). I like the positions of light green, green, and blue, and I like Tjs' suggestion of moving black 1S. White would be a cool city, but in another game. I think either green or blue could be the FP site, if y'all prefer green that's a-OK.

I like green for the FP and 1S of black for another city.

I'm okay with conquest so long as there are no settled one-tile islands. If there are settled one-tile islands, then we'd have to research to marines, since we can't take them in a peace deal, and I'd rather not stretch out the end of the game by 100's of turns.

Is the plan to leader-rush the FP? Since we can't chop a fast CH first, stick-building it in BFE will take a while.
Doesn't look like we NEED an army right now... Would we rather have a horse- or sword-army first?

I'll be AFK tomorrow through Monday, so no rush on your turns, E~ :)

I'll probably need a swap. I'm still neck-deep in the other game!

I probably won't be ready to play my turnset for this game until Sunday or Monday.

I don't see a problem with that, suede hasn't posted his turns yet. But, if someone else wants to play another set to keep the game moving, that's fine too.

Better decide what to do with that great leader soon guys, we just got one.

Quick FP? Or we could do a horseman army. Or wait for a Swordsman army.

The incans have a lot of swords marching on us so a Horseman army wouldn't do well in this spot. I'd say just use it quick on FP, since if we save it for a better army then we can't get another MGL in the meantime.

Last edited:
We could turn him into an army and leave it empty if we wanted to go that route. We could earn another leader then.

Long-term we want the FP (commerce, shield increases), short-term we don't want to have to cede any of our military gains. If we aren't at risk of losing our main stack to swords each turn, then I vote FP.

How long from roading that iron are we?

If Tusker's GreenDot has been settled, then I'd say go for the FP ;)

AI-Swords will attack Horse-Armies.

If we could get a Sword-Army at some point, that would be perfect: it could keep up with/defend our Horses, and would be pretty much immune to attacks until Maces/Knights/LBMs

Turn 0: Change Vilcas from entertainer to scientist.

Turn 1: Barbs spawn near Edo. Move Horse and Chariot towards them, and move worker out of the way.

Incans approach our stack near vilcas, with a reg archer and reg sword. We're on a mountain, but I retreat south anyway to where our elite archer is. It should be fine if he attacks our elite archer with the sword, but only if we're fortified and have defensive bombard.

Our settler/spear combo near our capital walks to the tip of the jungle peninsula. There's a barbarian camp from ages ago that we never cleared. I'll wait for the horseman to kill it rather than risking the spear.

Turn 2: In interturn, barbarian warrior severly wounds our horse on mountain. I clear camp with chariot and go heal the horse in Edo.

In interturn, we lose curragh to barb galley up north. Mongols complete the Pyramids. That will be fun.

I switch production in Tlat to replace our fallen curragh.

I plant a new city SW of the ruins. I name it New Osaka, for ease of remembrance, all these aztec city names sound the same.

Barb hut near our capital cleared.

Turn 3: Interturn, our southern curragh defeats barb galley.

Turn 4: Barb camp spawns west of Edo. We clear with warrior + horseman

Turn 5: Plant FP city. We attack Tabriz with our 6 units stack. Our first two horsemen retreat, and weaken their spearmen. We attack with elite archer, and get a great leader! We lose one veteran archer, then the city gets destroyed.

Turn 6: The incans march a bunch of swords towards us. Polytheism finishes. We start monarchy. Barbarian stack spawns (Across the channel from us). This means 2 civs have entered the medieval era.

Turn 7: Interturn, our southern curragh wins combat, our northern curragh dies to barbs again. We build forbidden palace with our MGL.

Turn 8: Barbs stack from the south. So I send settler north. Disband warrior in Vilcas so walls finish in time for incan attack.

Turn 9: In interturn, he attacks my spear on mountain, defeats it, only losing one health from sword.

Disorder in Tlat. I set Tlat production to Jaguar. It’s our cheapest MP now that iron’s hooked, plus we’ll need a golden age eventually.

I think I missed a turn in there somewhere. It’s 150 BC, my turnsets done I’m pretty sure.

Attachments

• Jar 150BC.SAV
    102.6 KB · Views: 121
Here's the attacking force. I moved the settler north due to barbs. I figure I'd plant next to the fish and whales, but it's up to whoever takes the next turnset.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    805.5 KB · Views: 153
Nice job! We should try to get some units on those mountains so we can get the swords onto the flats.

Or I guess hills... Nice defensive ground they have.

Top Bottom